The Student Room Group

No help from Father at all

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Klix88
Why? Your accommodation should have pans. It won't hurt you to share or use older secondhand pans.

You can't just have things when you want them. Life isn't like that and you'll be on your own in the working world in only a couple of years. You're on a limited budget - albeit not really that limited for a student - so you have to learn to live within your means.*

It is unsual for student accomodation to come with an equipped kitchen, however I agree with those saying that whatever OP used in first year should more than suffice and they don't need new ones.
Reply 21
Original post by NoMansLie
You can buy pans from wilko for literally £4. I spent maybe £15 tops in first year for everything I needed, pots, pans, glasses cutlery, towels etc. I fully expected to be throwing them after the year but I didn't want to take nice stuff into halls. To my surprise everything has held up and I'm still using them going into my 3rd year.

I wasn't intending to go spend £40 on pans alone, the £40 was the max that I could provide for additional utensils. I was planning to go to B&M bargins to buy my pans, my local B&M has pans from Russel Hobs at £2-£7 which*is decent.

I need new pans because the pans from the previous year have worn out and were not the right type for the type of hob l will have.*
Reply 22
Original post by markova21
I think you might only need one pan,tbh. Heating up stuff can be done in a microwave, and the pan can be used to make soup and pasta. The best thing I bought was a three tier steamer. So much healthier than boiling ,and things taste lovely. Plus, because you are steaming your spuds and vegetables , unless you are really careless it's very very difficult to burn it. Hardly any cleaning involved either. Plus they all stack up on top of each other so you only need to use one electric or gas ring.

I am going to buy a Halogen oven. Last year I had a hob and microwave, it increased my shopping bills and limited my food choices for hot meals. Having no oven is a disaster.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Frostyjoe
Hi, returning student. Going back to university on Thursday.

At the moment I am struggling financially, I am trying to save up as much as possible. My budget for the year will be £100 a week which is fine.

On the first week I haven't got enough funds to buy essential things e.g pans etc. I can pay a small amount (£40) but the amount I can pay will not be enough for what I need to buy - I will need my monthly budget to live on this incoming month so I cannot take much out of this budget.

I know that our household income is above the threshold because of my fathers job. My father won't provide any support whatsoever - even something minimal e.g £50. I am getting some support from my mother but she can't really afford it. The support I need is minimal on the grand scheme of things e.g something like £300 to buy the essentials. I don't like my mother spending money that she does not have when he is sitting with an income of thousands per month.

I don't see that it is too much to ask for, for my father to provide £200-£300 so that I can buy a few essential items.

My father seems to think that my budget is plenty.

Think you have it miles better than most people. Think you greatly exaggerate essentials. What are you saying the essentials are? Why would you need pots and pans? Mone from last term? Just take one or two from home? A shared house then you cna share for a few weeks. the only one you could do the most with is a small wok, then maybe a milk pan. Also if you have access to a microwave then you cna cook in that for a month.

Cant help but think at £100 a week you have plenty of money.

What about your overdraft?
What about credit card?
Sell some stuff.

As for your parent, then yes he sounds as though he could contribute., but I guess thats who he is. Get a job and you cna sort it all out yourself.
Reply 24
I am going to buy a Halogen oven. Last year I had a hob and microwave, it increased my shopping bills and limited my food choices for hot meals.

i don't know quite how to respond to this - I'm gobsmacked. I'm 52 and have never cooked in or on halogen in my life. I've had a perfectly normal diet, i'm afraid if you view a halogen oven as "essential", you have a lot of growing up to do.
Having no oven is a disaster.

It really really isn't. A hob and a microwave are absolutely fine for term-time meal prep. You don't need more of your father's money. You need to be more flexible.

Plus check your accommodation rules. Most won't permit you to use your own equipment like that.
How much did your dad give you when you started uni?

I still find your sense of entitlement strange. Your parents have no obligation to support you, if you WANT something then get a job and buy it.
Reply 26
Original post by Donkey******
How much did your dad give you when you started uni?

I still find your sense of entitlement strange. Your parents have no obligation to support you, if you WANT something then get a job and buy it.

He gave me £20 last year but I had more money saved up as I was on a gap year.
He gave me £20 last year but I had more money saved up as I was on a gap year.

So if you only got £20 last year, why are you suddenly expecting £300?
Original post by Klix88
i don't know quite how to respond to this - I'm gobsmacked. I'm 52 and have never cooked in or on halogen in my life. I've had a perfectly normal diet, i'm afraid if you view a halogen oven as "essential", you have a lot of growing up to do.

It really really isn't. A hob and a microwave are absolutely fine for term-time meal prep. You don't need more of your father's money. You need to be more flexible.

Plus check your accommodation rules. Most won't permit you to use your own equipment like that.

An oven is pretty useful tbh. If he is in self catering acomm then it would be pretty standard. If he was in uni accommodation that was catered i.e halls, then I doubt it would be allowed. Anywhere else I dont think it would be an issue if its in the kitchen.
Reply 29
Yeah it's a pain without an oven. I can deal without one it just takes MUCH longer to cook anything and you can't cook things like frozen chips etc.
Yeah it's a pain without an oven. I can deal without one it just takes MUCH longer to cook anything and you can't cook things like frozen chips etc.

You have a pan, hot oil... See where I'm going with this. What you're actually saying is it's mildy inconvenient for you to heat food. You can still cook, you can still live. Welcome to student life.
Is there any reason why you didn't use the money you had saved up from your gap year?
Reply 32
That was last year.

Anyway, I've sorted it out now. I will have to make adjustments myself.

I just need to buy pans and that'll do. We sent over things from home.*
I am going to buy a Halogen oven. Last year I had a hob and microwave, it increased my shopping bills and limited my food choices for hot meals. Having no oven is a disaster.

the microwave in UEA halls has an oven function which works exactly the same as a convention oven*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending