The Student Room Group

Reasonable adjustments to employment- disability

I could go off and read case law and legislation, however, in general everything is open to interpretation with regard employment law. I know, not everybody here will be experts of such matters however I wanted to ask some questions.

In general, employers have to make "reasonable adjustments" to one's employment if your long term sick or disabled right?

Thing is, in my line of work I have to lift heavy boxes and push-pull heavy boxes from time to time (if I'm allocated those tasks). Usually due to the nature of the work, I have to lift heavy boxes daily and I struggle.

My disability is physical and affects my co-ordination, mobility, balance, and although predominantly my lower limbs are affected (legs, feet)- in general I get fatigued much quicker than your average male. I suffer from mild Cerebral Palsy.
I am able bodied to an extent- and I've never struggled as much in other jobs as this. Could the employer fairly dismiss me or ask me to leave?

Or would they have to make adjustments?

I know that in these cases it can be very hard to bring justice to the situation when employers ignore these rights. For example, they could deny I made them aware, as in interview I told them about my disability (although I say it doesn't usually affect my day to day life). Although in this case it has. They could argue I never told them if it isn't recorded on paper somewhere.

What do you think?

p.s. sidenote: I've also heard people poking fun at people with disabilities and health problems in my work place which is highly unprofessional and offensive to me as a disabled individual. I didn't report it or complain because management are likely to take the same tongue. Although the culprit soon watched his tongue and kind of looked at me suspiciously (as though he knew i was around).
Why don't you do the honourable thing and quit?
Reply 2
Original post by 81megatron81
Why don't you do the honourable thing and quit?

Why would that be honourable?

Isn't that running away from the social injustices of the world?
Original post by Anonymous
Why would that be honourable?

Isn't that running away from the social injustices of the world?

When you take a job with a company you are saying you can handle the job. If you cannot then you owe it to them to leave. Unless the company lied about what the job entailed then there is no injustice here.

Companies are not charities employing people for the hell of it. A job is to be done that by taking you said you could do. If you can't then bye bye.

Too many people look at employment as a sort of handout where they don't have a contract to uphold. This isn't so.
Reply 4
Original post by 81megatron81
When you take a job with a company you are saying you can handle the job. If you cannot then you owe it to them to leave. Unless the company lied about what the job entailed then there is no injustice here.

Companies are not charities employing people for the hell of it. A job is to be done that by taking you said you could do. If you can't then bye bye.

Too many people look at employment as a sort of handout where they don't have a contract to uphold. This isn't so.

It isn't like I work in manual labour and as a disabled individual I willingly took the job. I work in a restaurant, and from time to time I am asked to lift out boxes of fries or meat or whatever and it can be heavy. As a male (let alone disabled) it can be embarrassing to experience.

I don't think it's as simple as you put it. That sort of black and white thinking is what makes this world unfair imho. It's like your saying its the employers way or the highway, well I'm sorry I disagree strongly.

I don't view my employment as a handout. A handout is being on the dole and not wanting to work. That is a handout.

It is a contract, but its also a contract the employer has to abide by as well. Works both ways, but for some reason the shoe never seems to be on the other foot does it. Additionally, there is law the employer needs to obey and far too often they get away with unethical activities.

Why should the capitalist corporations and other organisations have an exploitative foothold over the workers that actually run the place?
Original post by Anonymous

I don't think it's as simple as you put it. That sort of black and white thinking is what makes this world unfair imho. It's like your saying its the employers way or the highway, well I'm sorry I disagree strongly.

That is NOT what I am saying.

Look it is this simple - you were hired to do a job that you seemingly cannot do. That's life. Now if they lied about what the job entailed then I am on your side - if you were aware and it turns out you cannot do it then quit.

It is a contract, but its also a contract the employer has to abide by as well.

See my comment above. It seems they are abiding by things - but you by being unabl to do the job are not. Honourable thing is to quit not expect the company to magically find a new job for you that you can do.

Why should the capitalist corporations and other organisations have an exploitative foothold over the workers that actually run the place?

Why are too many so called workers expecting an easy time of things? And it sounds like you aren't running the place because you cannot do the job asked.

As I said - if they lied about what the job entails then I am on your side - if they didn't and you made an error in what you can handle then you are the problem not your employer.
well it's reasonable adjustments so if you work in an amazon warehouse you can't fulfill the job but if you work in mcdonalds and literally all you need is the guy next to you picking up the box twice a day it's not a big deal and your workplace should make those allowances, incidentally they can't fire you or anything for asking as it would be discrimination
Did you tell your employer that you can't lift heavy boxes?

Quick Reply

Latest