The Student Room Group

Stressed out over job security and lack of finances

I'm basically beginning to feel increasingly stressed out over my job. Not only am I surrounded by bullies, it is toxic, degrading, and it's eroding any sense of self-esteem I might have had (if I had any)- but, I feel uneasy about my ability to maintain the job any longer.

The reason I feel lack of security is because they keep cutting my hours down and down, finding any excuse to cut labour and send me off early. In many cases, they've offered me extra days off. Problem is, because of my mental health state its easier said than done to say 'yeah sure' because I'm unwell and the job is burning me out. Gives me the excuse of actually taking more time out and no pay. I've nearly exhausted all my paid leave.

The job isn't a long term career as I work in a dead end job, but it pays my bills and the more they cut my hours, the more it seems they want to get rid of me and push me out. It's happened before with others they didn't like.

On top of all of this, I am not the best in my job- in the sense I am not as fast as the others. I work fast food so obviously its a big part. I do my job and perform my tasks, but it takes me longer (i'm disabled- but not immobile). I often hear members of staff ****ging me off, and it feels they just put up with me.

I fear before long I will not be able to pay bills, because I'll either leave due to meltdown, or be pushed out and/or fired.
I'm sorry you're feeling this way and this is happening to you. Maybe think about quitting and looking for something else. Think about what you enjoy doing and are good at and go from there.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
I'm sorry you're feeling this way and this is happening to you. Maybe think about quitting and looking for something else. Think about what you enjoy doing and are good at and go from there.

I've been considering quitting for some time now, and while it would be the best idea, I need to be able to pay my bills. I'm reliant on the job unfortunately, as I'm no longer at University or a student.

I am actively seeking work in other fields but having a hard time of it.

I have also played with the idea of going off on sick, but I don't think my case is strong enough to be eligible and my employer won't pay out (I don't think). Even so its about £80 per week.
Reply 3
Original post by alleycat393

Eventually I feel one day I'm going to just walk out and never return, as my threshold for tolerating things is getting thinner, even while on medication for depression and anxiety.
Do you have any qualifications that would help you get another job? If you have A levels, a degree, you have a lot going for you.

I think it would be a good idea to start looking for another one asap. Knowing you are doing something- anything, to improve your situation will help your mental state no end. It's the thought that you are stuck there that's the killer.

Have you thought of trying for a temporary job / maternity cover / part time even, at a good employer like a University? The easiest way in is to apply for jobs like these which appear to be less attractive because not permanent / full time. (They will have all sorts of jobs , just go on their site- everything from catering, cleaning, clerical etc. etc. they are huge employers. ) However the big advantage in applying is that they often have job protection in the sense that you will be given priority over a totally new applicant when your temporary job ends. They will make an effort to place you again and after time you may well become permanent too.You will often be treated as an internal candidate. There will also be lots of opportunities for career progression, loads of courses to do etc. plus pension schemes and benefits etc. They may well be equal opportunities employers too.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply