The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hello and thank you for doing this. I have several questions I would like answered.

For the UCAS, how do I report grades from university courses? I am an American high school student who enrolled in some economics courses at Harvard. I have my university transcript but no way of reporting it, or at least none that I have found. Should I ask my school to submit it along with my transcript? Or maye include it in my personal statement or referee lettee.

I have taken eight AP exams, and scored 5 in seven of eight. My five most relevant APs to economics are BC Calculus, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, European History, and American History. If I receive an offer, would it been unconditional or conditional? Since I'm also taking eight morr AP exams this year including statistics (which is the most relevant of the eight to economics).

When I input my ACT results into the UCAS, and because I have taken the ACT twice, should I report the highest core for each section from each date? Or report every section for the two dates I took the exam in.

I am self-studying Linear Algebra and Differential Equations. How can I report this? Since my transcript won't list these courses since I am quite literally watching MIT lectures.

For the point of entry into the UK question in the UCAS, how can I answer this? The help page states that I should report the start of the term, but there is a time lag between different universities likr LSE vs Cambridge.

Many thanks for taking the time to read and answer these questions!
Thanks for doing this! I was wondering how Murray Edwards College would view a vet student applying for a deferred place. Would this put me at a disadvantage?
Original post by Themightyboo
Hi Dr. Spencer,

Excuse me trampling your Murray Edwards thread (I'm too ancient and hoping to apply to Lucy)!

I asked a question in the General and 21+ forums, and unfortunately can't seem get a reply. Busy ATs right now!

Would you mind lending me your ear if I repost?

:smile:

Hello and yes, of course, do ask away. If I can't answer it myself I'll get advice from someone who can! :smile:
Original post by SnowLeopard27
Hi Dr Spencer,

I asked this question to another admissions tutor on here, but as I am applying for History I would be really interested to know your view:

Is there any risk in being predicted more than the A*AA generally offered? I have been told that it is a positive in order to be given an offer in the first place, but under what circumstances would you ask for these predictions to be met?

Thanks so much - really appreciate you taking part in this forum:smile:

Hello and thanks for your question. It's not unusual for students to get a higher offer than A*AA for History, though this is the standard offer that is given out. If a candidate receives a different offer (with the A* tagged to a certain subject or a A*A*A offer being the most common), then it would not be because the candidate had been predicted over A*AA. We do not make offers based on predictions, which I know happens at some universities. We make them on the basis of your whole application and our judgement of all aspects of it.
Original post by Sophhhowa
What kind of things do you look for in an applicant? I've heard a lot of rumours so hopefully you can clear them up.

We want students who have achieved very highly in their educational context, who have potential to do well, who are prepared to work hard and who have developed a genuine interest in their subject. There's no 'type' beyond that - students at Cambridge are from all over the country and the world, from different background and have different tastes, ideas and interests and that is exactly what we want.
Original post by Gymnast7
Hi Dr Spencer,

If an applicant took 4 A' Levels is there a chance that any offer they might receive would ask for 4 grades (for instance, A*AAA), or would an offer always ask for only 3 grades?

Thank you

Hello and thanks for your question. Students are sometimes given an offer on 4 A Levels, if the fourth A Level is considered relevant or useful. In the vast majority of cases, however, the offer will be made on 3 A Levels, though we will sometimes specify which 3 A Levels.
Original post by Josh.Lyman
Hello and thank you for doing this. I have several questions I would like answered.

For the UCAS, how do I report grades from university courses? I am an American high school student who enrolled in some economics courses at Harvard. I have my university transcript but no way of reporting it, or at least none that I have found. Should I ask my school to submit it along with my transcript? Or maye include it in my personal statement or referee lettee.

I have taken eight AP exams, and scored 5 in seven of eight. My five most relevant APs to economics are BC Calculus, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, European History, and American History. If I receive an offer, would it been unconditional or conditional? Since I'm also taking eight morr AP exams this year including statistics (which is the most relevant of the eight to economics).

When I input my ACT results into the UCAS, and because I have taken the ACT twice, should I report the highest core for each section from each date? Or report every section for the two dates I took the exam in.

I am self-studying Linear Algebra and Differential Equations. How can I report this? Since my transcript won't list these courses since I am quite literally watching MIT lectures.

For the point of entry into the UK question in the UCAS, how can I answer this? The help page states that I should report the start of the term, but there is a time lag between different universities likr LSE vs Cambridge.

Many thanks for taking the time to read and answer these questions!

Hello and thanks for your questions. You can submit a copy of your University transcript to the college to which you apply after you have made your application and they will place it in your file.

It's impossible to say at this stage whether you offer would be unconditional or conditional. I would hope that it would be unconditional as you have already exceeded the standard offer but I would check with individual colleges as to what their approach might be and some may wish to see AP performance in your senior year.

You should report both sets of ACT results. You can report what you are studying in the SAQ as there is a box for you to tell us what you have covered in your various courses.

I would put the earliest start date (i.e. LSE). I hope that helps a little.
Original post by Blue.Bird
Thanks for doing this! I was wondering how Murray Edwards College would view a vet student applying for a deferred place. Would this put me at a disadvantage?

There's no disadvantage in applying for a deferred place. If we reckon you are god enough for this year then you will get a place for next year. It's often comforting for colleges to know that they have got someone good in the bag for next year already.
Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions
Hello and thanks for your question. It's not unusual for students to get a higher offer than A*AA for History, though this is the standard offer that is given out. If a candidate receives a different offer (with the A* tagged to a certain subject or a A*A*A offer being the most common), then it would not be because the candidate had been predicted over A*AA. We do not make offers based on predictions, which I know happens at some universities. We make them on the basis of your whole application and our judgement of all aspects of it.

Thanks so much for clearing that up :smile:
Hi! i am a Singaporean and i will have to defer my entry to study mathematics for 1 year as i will have to serve in the compulsory national service and so i was wondering what is Cambridge's take on deferred entry for mathematics. i understand that this may vary from college to college but in general does Cambridge view deferred entry for math as good/neutral/not good.
Also, having attained

Spoiler

would you say that i have a fairly good chance of securing an interview and maybe an offer?
Thank you for your time.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 30
Hi Dr Spencer
I am having a hard time keeping to the permitted number of lines for my personal statement. If I were not add a blank line between each paragraph would this go against me?
Original post by felixhz123
Hi! i am a Singaporean and i will have to defer my entry to study mathematics for 1 year as i will have to serve in the compulsory national service and so i was wondering what is Cambridge's take on deferred entry for mathematics. i understand that this may vary from college to college but in general does Cambridge view deferred entry for math as good/neutral/not good.
Also, having attained

Spoiler

would you say that i have a fairly good chance of securing an interview and maybe an offer?
Thank you for your time.

Hello and thanks for your question. We understand that Singaporeans often have to defer entry for a year due to national service so this will not be a problem administratively. it is true to say that many colleges are wary of deferred entrants for Maths (there is a guide on the Maths faculty website).

Your A Levels results are strong, your STEP 2 result much less so but you should still get an interview.
Hello and thanks for your question. Students are sometimes given an offer on 4 A Levels, if the fourth A Level is considered relevant or useful. In the vast majority of cases, however, the offer will be made on 3 A Levels, though we will sometimes specify which 3 A Levels.

Thank you for your response.
If I were to take, for example, English Literature, History, Maths and Further Maths and apply for an English degree, would an offer be more likely to ask for only 3 grades as Further Maths is largely irrelevant to English?

Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by crablet
Hi Dr Spencer
I am having a hard time keeping to the permitted number of lines for my personal statement. If I were not add a blank line between each paragraph would this go against me?

No, it wouldn't go against you. A block of text does make it a bit harder to read so try to cut it if you can but if you absolutely can't don't worry, we'll manage.
Original post by Gymnast7
Thank you for your response.
If I were to take, for example, English Literature, History, Maths and Further Maths and apply for an English degree, would an offer be more likely to ask for only 3 grades as Further Maths is largely irrelevant to English?

Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's very unlikely that you'd be asked specifically to achieve a result in FM in that situation.
Hi,

I contacted another Cambridge college about whether there was any problem with the fact that I've done my Maths A level early (and got an A) so now in Year 13 I'm doing 2 full A Levels (plus Further Maths AS). I was told it should be fine as long as my school can confirm the fact that I still have the same workload as everyone else.

However I completely forgot to ask about whether that A grade in Maths would be part of an offer or whether it would be disregarded as it won't have been taken along with everything else in Year 13?

My other subjects are Art and English Literature and I'll be applying for English Literature at Cambridge.

Any insight into how this works would be really appreciated. Thanks!
Original post by neyscar
Hi,

I contacted another Cambridge college about whether there was any problem with the fact that I've done my Maths A level early (and got an A) so now in Year 13 I'm doing 2 full A Levels (plus Further Maths AS). I was told it should be fine as long as my school can confirm the fact that I still have the same workload as everyone else.

However I completely forgot to ask about whether that A grade in Maths would be part of an offer or whether it would be disregarded as it won't have been taken along with everything else in Year 13?

My other subjects are Art and English Literature and I'll be applying for English Literature at Cambridge.

Any insight into how this works would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Colleges treat A Level maths taken a year early on a case by case basis in terms of making offers. You might get a 2 A Level offer at A*A, or you might be asked for A*A in your A Levels and A in your FM AS Level. It will be up to the college to decide what they wish to do.
Hi,
I do not have UMS in all of the subjects I am taking to A2 (only the subject I dropped and 2 of my current subjects carry UMS). Will this count against me in any way?

I got a high B in the subject I dropped - will the lower UMS score (compared to those in which I got an A in) disadvantage me?
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello and yes, of course, do ask away. If I can't answer it myself I'll get advice from someone who can! :smile:

Thank you! That's really kind.

Here goes:

"Hello!Apologies if I've missed an answer to a similar question already or I've posted in the wrong place, but everyone has to start somewhere! I'm currently studying the new linear A-level syllabus, and would like to apply to Lucy Cavendish for A100 Medicine.

I'm studying my A-levels with a distance learning school. I'm predicted A* grades in all my subjects (Chem, Bio and Physics), have the required GCSE grades, and will also be sitting my BMAT.
I was just wondering about the new practical skills endorsement. I understand that it doesn't contribute to the final grade, but as an external candidate it's proving very difficult (and VERY expensive) to find somewhere to sit the practical tests. Is it absolutely imperative that I gain the endorsement in order to make my application to Cambridge? Obviously if it is, then I shall, but I can't seem to find any information regarding this.Any "practical" information gratefully received Thank you in advance!"
Original post by Themightyboo
Thank you! That's really kind.

Here goes:

"Hello!Apologies if I've missed an answer to a similar question already or I've posted in the wrong place, but everyone has to start somewhere! I'm currently studying the new linear A-level syllabus, and would like to apply to Lucy Cavendish for A100 Medicine.

I'm studying my A-levels with a distance learning school. I'm predicted A* grades in all my subjects (Chem, Bio and Physics), have the required GCSE grades, and will also be sitting my BMAT.
I was just wondering about the new practical skills endorsement. I understand that it doesn't contribute to the final grade, but as an external candidate it's proving very difficult (and VERY expensive) to find somewhere to sit the practical tests. Is it absolutely imperative that I gain the endorsement in order to make my application to Cambridge? Obviously if it is, then I shall, but I can't seem to find any information regarding this.Any "practical" information gratefully received Thank you in advance!"

Hi there, my understanding is that as a general rule, Lucy Cavendish is willing to exempt candidates from the practical component, and make an offer based on the theoretical components only, in one of your science A-levels, provided they can demonstrate practical scientific experience elsewhere. Whether they would be willing to exempt a candidate from the practical component of all three science A-levels is more doubtful, and I recommend that you get in touch with the Admissions Office directly to check. I understand that the Admissins Officer is away until the start of next week so do it then.

I hope that helps. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending