The Student Room Group

Gap Year Thread 2016/17

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by lilGem
Yeah, at Masters level you apply directly to the university rather than via UCAS so there's no limit. The exception is graduate entry medicine, veterinary medicine and dentistry. I think also for a PGCE.

One of my best friends from College is intercalating at Leeds during her medicine degree and will be returning for Sheffield for her final year the same time I'll be doing my masters and a course mate is starting a MSc in Medical Microbiology at Nottingham this year :smile:*

Has that had any influence on where you applied or was it purely that those are the best universities for your course?
Okay so i am doing a maths degree at university but decided to take a gap year! I am planning on doing work experience at my secondary school for a month, has anyone got any other ideas?
Reply 102
Original post by Ayaz789
Okay so i am doing a maths degree at university but decided to take a gap year! I am planning on doing work experience at my secondary school for a month, has anyone got any other ideas?

Hi (:

Well I am hoping to do AmeriCamp next summer! You could also do ICS? Another suggestion would be to get a paid job (: Remember also to keep reading around your subject!
Original post by BryonyG98
Hi (:

Well I am hoping to do AmeriCamp next summer! You could also do ICS? Another suggestion would be to get a paid job (: Remember also to keep reading around your subject!

Well yeah ill probs be doing work experience at both my college and my secondary school so ill be going over my mathematical skills! Ill start working as well but i wanted to ask is 1 month of work experience enough? Like its better than nothing! & whats ICS?
Thank you:h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 104
Original post by Ayaz789
Well yeah ill probs be doing work experience at both my college and my secondary school so ill be going over my mathematical skills! Ill start working as well but i wanted to ask is 1 month of work experience enough? Like its better than nothing! & whats ICS?
Thank you:h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

In all honesty, as much work experience as possible is good!

ICS is International Citizens Service, I suggest looking it up! It is a program that allows you to volunteer in a foreign country for about 3 months!
In all honesty, as much work experience as possible is good!

ICS is International Citizens Service, I suggest looking it up! It is a program that allows you to volunteer in a foreign country for about 3 months!

Ahh okay , do you know when i do work experience at a specific college , would they give me a certificate to certify that ive actually done it? Ahh okay ill look at it haha :smile: You reply so fast!:h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 106
Original post by Ayaz789
Ahh okay , do you know when i do work experience at a specific college , would they give me a certificate to certify that ive actually done it? Ahh okay ill look at it haha :smile: You reply so fast!:h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not entirely sure, I'm sure if asked you could request evidence from them or a reference (:

The perks of having no life outside of the internet xD
I'm not entirely sure, I'm sure if asked you could request evidence from them or a reference (:

The perks of having no life outside of the internet xD

Hahaha yeah sure I'll ask them! How long do you think a college would allow me to get work experience with them for?
Haha i aint no different:rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 108
Original post by Ayaz789
Hahaha yeah sure I'll ask them! How long do you think a college would allow me to get work experience with them for?
Haha i aint no different:rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not entirely sure a college would due to you being so close in age to the students, however you could always try a different local secondary school.
I'm not entirely sure a college would due to you being so close in age to the students, however you could always try a different local secondary school.

Ahh okay & im going to try my previous sixth form , then ill try my secondary school , then ill try my primary school :rofl: if i get all 3 then ill do like 2-3 weeks at each place!:h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 110
Original post by Ayaz789
Ahh okay & im going to try my previous sixth form , then ill try my secondary school , then ill try my primary school :rofl: if i get all 3 then ill do like 2-3 weeks at each place!:h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds good! I am doing something similar at the moment (:
That sounds good! I am doing something similar at the moment (:

Ahh thats good! Im gonna go to my sixth form on Friday morning :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 112
Original post by Ayaz789
Ahh thats good! Im gonna go to my sixth form on Friday morning :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good idea (: I hope it goes well, and let us know!
Good idea (: I hope it goes well, and let us know!

Ahh thank you & you too!! You are so nice haha :yep:
I will tell you how it went on Friday!:h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has that had any influence on where you applied or was it purely that those are the best universities for your course?

its the module availability, exams and research project length :h:
Hi everyone!
I'm currently on my gap year-spending a year in Paris living with a French family and working as an au pair! So far it's pretty good. Though it is quite strange to see so many people from school starting university, and knowing that when I start next year I'll be a year behind them!
Original post by futurechildnurse
Hi Emma,

So sorry i havent replied until now.

My choices are:bournemouth,anglian ruskin,bucks new,uwl and birmingham city.

My experience:volunteered in a primary,nursery,multi-disciplinary team during college. My most recent experience is:working as a support worker for people with learning disabilities. I also volunteer at my local youth club and hospital on the mother and baby unit. Also recently just got a new job as a bank care officer. Also got experience of babysitting different aged children.

:smile:

That sounds amazing! You've managed to gain loads of experience in relation to the course you want to study at uni! Good luck on getting onto the course for next year! I am going to be applying my application through UCAS? That's what I did last year. And do you know when you would like to send your personal statement this year? :smile:
Original post by Emma2898
That sounds amazing! You've managed to gain loads of experience in relation to the course you want to study at uni! Good luck on getting onto the course for next year! I am going to be applying my application through UCAS? That's what I did last year. And do you know when you would like to send your personal statement this year? :smile:

Thank you and I hope so. Yes,so am I and I would like to send it off sometime next month,just waiting for feedback on my personal statement and for my reference to be written,then I'm all ready. How about you,when would you like to send it all off? :smile:
Hi guys,

I'm (unfortunately) on a forced gap year due to missing my results on results day, and then meeting them through a remark when it was too late to still be accepted, so have to take a year off to reapply.

I'm living in London and am planning on studying Law :smile:

I've applied for volunteering with the citizen's advice bureau and am looking for work experience with Law firms. Does anyone have any ideas/tips/suggestions for how else I can fill up my year given that this is very last minute?
Anyone know of any science/engineering opportunities?

Quick Reply

Latest