The Student Room Group

Math UCAS

Hi! i have graduated from sixth form and i will be applying to study math at university this year hopefully at cambridge! however i did sit for STEP 1 and 2 for the first time this year and i really messed up STEP 2 obtaining a grade 3 and a really average grade 1 for STEP 1. Given my results of

Spoiler

will i still be a RELATIVELY strong applicant for cambridge math and have an okay-good chance of securing an offer given that i really messed up my STEP 2 paper? Thank you!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by felixhz123
Hi! i have graduated from sixth form and i will be applying to study math at university this year hopefully at cambridge! however i did sit for STEP 1 and 2 for the first time this year and i really messed up STEP 3 obtaining a grade 3 and a really average grade 1 for STEP 1. Given my results of

Spoiler

will i still be a RELATIVELY strong applicant for cambridge math and have an okay-good chance of securing an offer given that i really messed up my STEP 2 paper? Thank you!

Can you clarify, did you get a 3 in STEP III or II?

Eitherway you may be given a STEP offer (subject to a good interview). Possibly S,1 or S,S in II and III.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by jneill
Can you clarify, did you get a 3 in STEP III or II?

Eitherway you may be given a STEP offer (subject to a good interview). Possibly S,1 or S,S in II and III.

Posted from TSR Mobile

whoops STEP 2 i mean
Hi! i have graduated from sixth form and i will be applying to study math at university this year hopefully at cambridge! however i did sit for STEP 1 and 2 for the first time this year and i really messed up STEP 2 obtaining a grade 3 and a really average grade 1 for STEP 1. Given my results of

Spoiler

Expect an intensive interview - I think your chances of an offer may be slim as you messed both STEP papers. What other evidence have you got? UKMT medals?
Reply 4
whoops STEP 2 i mean

Ok :smile:

Why did you sit STEP anyway?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by jneill
Ok :smile:

Why did you sit STEP anyway?

Posted from TSR Mobile

i wanted to get a feel of the papers. man that sucks, I thought given a grade 1 and 4A*s, i would have an okay chance :O do u think i have a better chance at oxford then?
i wanted to get a feel of the papers. man that sucks, I thought given a grade 1 and 4A*s, i would have an okay chance :O do u think i have a better chance at oxford then?

MAT is easier than STEP - have you looked at the papers?

You don't have long to decide - what do your teachers think?

There are other good unis for Maths ... Oxbridge is not the only route.
Reply 7
Original post by Muttley79
MAT is easier than STEP - have you looked at the papers?

You don't have long to decide - what do your teachers think?

There are other good unis for Maths ... Oxbridge is not the only route.

i've not really spoken to my teachers as i am back in singapore. yes i've been doing some MAT papers for imperial too. just out of curiosity why would you say the chance for an offer would be slim. i understand that the grade 3 in STEP 2 is really bad but won't the 4A*s and a grade 1 in STEP 1 (though not really impressive) put me in a slight advantage compared to the applicants who haven't attempted STEP or gotten their A*s? Sorry for all the questions just really want to make sure i'm making the right and safe choice.

Also just to add, i will be applying for one year deferred entry as i will have to serve in the Singapore army which is compulsory if that makes a difference.
(edited 7 years ago)
i've not really spoken to my teachers as i am back in singapore. yes i've been doing some MAT papers for imperial too. just out of curiosity why would you say the chance for an offer would be slim. i understand that the grade 3 in STEP 2 is really bad but won't the 4A*s and a grade 1 in STEP 1 (though not really impressive) put me in a slight advantage compared to the applicants who haven't attempted STEP or gotten their A*s? Sorry for all the questions just really want to make sure i'm making the right and safe choice.

Also just to add, i will be applying for one year deferred entry as i will have to serve in the Singapore army which is compulsory if that makes a difference.

Perhaps I should say I'm a maths teacher so have supported many Oxbridge applications - some students apply with A level grades 'in the bag' so you won't 'stand out' with 4 A*s.
Many Cambridge offers are not met on the STEP requirements which is why I think they will grill you on interview. Do you have other evidence of Maths ability e.g. maths medals etc? Can you contact your teachers by e-mail to see what they think? I tend to know which unis might 'fit' my students as I will have probably taught them for 4 years and you get to know strengths etc.
Reply 9
Perhaps I should say I'm a maths teacher so have supported many Oxbridge applications - some students apply with A level grades 'in the bag' so you won't 'stand out' with 4 A*s.
Many Cambridge offers are not met on the STEP requirements which is why I think they will grill you on interview. Do you have other evidence of Maths ability e.g. maths medals etc? Can you contact your teachers by e-mail to see what they think? I tend to know which unis might 'fit' my students as I will have probably taught them for 4 years and you get to know strengths etc.

unfortunately i have nothing outstanding when it comes to math medals only a silver medal in UKMT. I can email my teachers, thank you for your advice. given my circumstances, will it be equally hard to get into Imperial which is my second choice?
unfortunately i have nothing outstanding when it comes to math medals only a silver medal in UKMT. I can email my teachers, thank you for your advice. given my circumstances, will it be equally hard to get into Imperial which is my second choice?

I'm not a fan of Imperial personally but they might be less 'demanding'. Where else are you looking?
Reply 11
I'm not a fan of Imperial personally but they might be less 'demanding'. Where else are you looking?

Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, LSE, and Bath. Though since my chances for cambridge is rather slim, i may have to consider oxford now and just do my best in MAT.
Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, LSE, and Bath. Though since my chances for cambridge is rather slim, i may have to consider oxford now and just do my best in MAT.

LSE??? Warwick is a stronger option I think.

Talk to your teachers - they will know better than I do whether Cambridge will suit you - at PG level Oxford tends to be stronger. The new Maths building is amazing - I was there supporting a UKMT summer school.
Reply 13

I imagine you would have to sit MAT for Oxford.

Ask a Cambridge college AT here about your situation:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4327946

A STEP offer doesn't make your chances "slim". If you are strong at Maths (which you clearly are) then another few month's prep at STEP should not be out of the question. It's good preparation for the Tripos anyway.

Expect an intensive interview - I think your chances of an offer may be slim as you messed both STEP papers. What other evidence have you got? UKMT medals?
1,3 isn't a mess :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by jneill
I imagine you would have to sit MAT for Oxford.

Ask a college AT here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4327946

A STEP offer doesn't make your chances "slim". If you are strong at Maths (which you clearly are) then another few month's prep at STEP should not be out of the question. It's good preparation for the Tripos anyway.

Hi Thank you for your reply Jneill and for referring me to the Oxford page:smile: yes, i'm just sort of in a dilemma, i really do not want to shoot myself in the foot and apply to cambridge if others tell me that i won't have a good chance of an offer since i messed my STEP 2 paper. I do believe though that with adequate time and practice i should be able to attain at least a 1,1 in STEP 2 and 3.
Reply 15
LSE??? Warwick is a stronger option I think.

Talk to your teachers - they will know better than I do whether Cambridge will suit you - at PG level Oxford tends to be stronger. The new Maths building is amazing - I was there supporting a UKMT summer school.

yes i am also considering Warwick. Thank you for all the advice you've given me, i really appreciate it :smile:
yes i am also considering Warwick. Thank you for all the advice you've given me, i really appreciate it :smile:

You are welcome but do remember that there are a high proportion of Cambridge maths offers that are missed on the STEP requirements. I think that if they give you an offer it would be steep - at least 1s and maybe some Ss.
Reply 17
Hi Thank you for your reply Jneill and for referring me to the Oxford page:smile: yes, i'm just sort of in a dilemma, i really do not want to shoot myself in the foot and apply to cambridge if others tell me that i won't have a good chance of an offer since i messed my STEP 2 paper. I do believe though that with adequate time and practice i should be able to attain at least a 1,1 in STEP 2 and 3.

That link is for a Cambridge college AT.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by jneill
That link is for a Cambridge college AT.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes whoops sorry! silly me
Original post by jneill

It's not good enough to meet a Cambridge offer ... and this year's offer, if made, will be stiff.

Quick Reply

Latest