The Student Room Group

does essay writing play a huge role in an economics degree at a top uni than maths?

Does it?
Essay writing is a skill you will develop doing pretty much any uni degree. Math is helpful for economics but may not be an entry requirement so check with the unis you're applying to.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
Essay writing is a skill you will develop doing pretty much any uni degree. Math is helpful for economics but may not be an entry requirement so check with the unis you're applying to.

Maths is an entry requirement for most economics courses. I don't mind that to much because I am doing it at a level. Essay writing isn't my favourite thing though.
Original post by Rajive
Does it?

If you choose your modules appropriately, you can go through an entire econ degree at LSE without writing a single (marked) essay.

I suppose if you really want to know the answer, just look up every course page of the unis you are interested in and look at what it says about grading.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by yudothis
If you choose your modules appropriately, you can go through an entire econ degree at LSE without writing a single (marked) essay.

Okay right. Thanks. Only at LSE?

Sorry but both of those are not true, the latter in particular regarding top unis that OP was asking about.
Original post by Rajive
Okay right. Thanks. Only at LSE?

It's the only one I attended and hence know for sure. I would strongly assume that at least in years 2 and 3 this is also true for other top unis, but I just don't know for sure.
Reply 7
It's the only one I attended and hence know for sure. I would strongly assume that at least in years 2 and 3 this is also true for other top unis, but I just don't know for sure.

Thanks for your help. Did you do further maths at a level? Btw
Sorry but both of those are not true, the latter in particular regarding top unis that OP was asking about.

I have to disagree. It may be possible to go through an economics degree without doing a marked essay but you are putting yourself at a disadvantage. In most jobs you will need to write something i.e reports etc and not being able to do so well will be a problem later and will definitely come across in applications. I never said math is not a requirement. I said it may not be. There's a difference there and it's up to the OP to do their research. I'm not here to spoon feed people. Good luck!
Reply 9
I have to disagree. It may be possible to go through an economics degree without doing a marked essay but you are putting yourself at a disadvantage. In most jobs you will need to write something i.e reports etc and not being able to do so well will be a problem later and will definitely come across in applications. I never said math is not a requirement. I said it may not be. There's a difference there and it's up to the OP to do their research. I'm not here to spoon feed people. Good luck!

This is part of my research though. Thanks for your attempt to help.

"Putting yourself at a disadvantage" - not like you have that much of a choice. If the modules you are interested in, aren't based on essays...and even if you can choose essay-based ones, how much are you really gonna learn from a couple of modules that are essay-based compared to someone whose entire degree is sown with essays? You are advocating that a few modules where you need to write essays will teach you (enough) to write reports for jobs?

No, you are not. But now you justified your answer with something that is irrelevant to the question the OP asked. And you are not spoon-feeding people, but you are saying untruths.
Original post by Rajive
Thanks for your help. Did you do further maths at a level? Btw

No, I did IB.
Reply 12
No, I did IB.

Oh right. Thanks for your reply. I appreciate when people correct other users that sound wrong lol. Thanks a lot
Original post by Rajive
This is part of my research though. Thanks for your attempt to help.

Asking random people on the internet who can provide no evidence of their credibility isn't exactly good research practice unfortunately. Anyway, that's what you're going to uni to learn about so good luck :smile:

"Putting yourself at a disadvantage" - not like you have that much of a choice. If the modules you are interested in, aren't based on essays...and even if you can choose essay-based ones, how much are you really gonna learn from a couple of modules that are essay-based compared to someone whose entire degree is sown with essays? You are advocating that a few modules where you need to write essays will teach you (enough) to write reports for jobs?

No, you are not. But now you justified your answer with something that is irrelevant to the question the OP asked. And you are not spoon-feeding people, but you are saying untruths.

I'm sorry you feel that you don't have much to gain from feedback on writing for a few modules from experts in your field. It may be worth considering the amount of money you're going to spend on going to uni in the first place if that's the case. Skills, particularly transferable skills are always useful no matter what you do and what field you're in. Anyway, I think I've mad my point so won't be responding to this thread anymore. Good luck :smile:
Original post by Rajive

I'm only replying to you because you are a student and that's kind of why I'm here: to help students. I'm a mod on this forum and the main reason for joining it was to advise students . I have finished my PhD (see my profile) and now work in a uni doing research and teaching undergrad and postgrad students. Part of my work involves outreach which you can read about here which is what replying to you is:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outreach

Anyway, the point I'd like to make for the final time is to please seriously consider the implications of not developing highly regarded transferable skills while at uni because you don't feel like you need them at the moment. I appreciate it's difficult for you to see why you may need them in the future but just something to think about.
I'm only replying to you because you are a student and that's kind of why I'm here: to help students. I'm a mod on this forum and the main reason for joining it was to advise students . I have finished my PhD (see my profile) and now work in a uni doing research and teaching undergrad and postgrad students. Part of my work involves outreach which you can read about here which is what replying to you is:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outreach

Anyway, the point I'd like to make for the final time is to please seriously consider the implications of not developing highly regarded transferable skills while at uni because you don't feel like you need them at the moment. I appreciate it's difficult for you to see why you may need them in the future but just something to think about.

You gave good advice mate.

Quick Reply

Latest