The Student Room Group

Can i get into University?

First of, i'm predicted A*A*C. In business, economics and maths, respectively.
I want to go to a university that requires at least AAB to do economics, any less, and i don't want to go to be honest.
Whilst my grades aren't good enough to meet this standard i feel like they're close enough to have a chance, but i have nothing else to boast to push me up to the standard. I have lots of evidence of my passion for economics, but no work experience, and no other academic awards like DofE, my only hobbies is sport, which takes up 10+ hours of my week. My personal statement is set up to be pretty lame, if i'm honest. Is it possible to get into uni with my credentials? I feel like without a good Personal statement you have no chance, is this true?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by lw8
I want to go to a university that requires at least AAB to do economics, any less, and i don't want to go to be honest.
Whilst my grades aren't good enough to meet this standard i feel like they're close enough to have a chance, but i have nothing else to boast to push me up to the standard. I have lots of evidence of my passion for economics, but no work experience, and no other academic awards like DofE, my only hobbies is sport, which takes up 10+ hours of my week. My personal statement is set up to be pretty lame, if i'm honest. Is it possible to get into uni with my credentials? I feel like without a good Personal statement you have no chance, is this true?

With A*A*C predicted you are likely to get offers from AAB universities.

You absolutely don't need work experience, or DofE...

Edit: a C prediction in Maths may be a problem especially for Economics, but there's no harm in applying. Do you think the prediction is realistic or pessimistic? What did you get in GCSE maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill

What subject is your C predicted for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It seems they got a C for Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by asmuse123
It seems they got a C for Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah yes. Too early for me to read accurately...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill

Edit: a C prediction in Maths may be a problem especially for Economics, but there's no harm in applying. Do you think the prediction is realistic or pessimistic? What did you get in GCSE maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got a B in GCSE maths, but this is fairly irrelevant if you take A-level.

I've heard mixed stories about whether the C in maths would be sufficient (with 2A*s), i mean, it's not like economics at uni (most) gets much more in depth than concepts in C4 and M1 honestly, its just whether they might reject me due to huge competition from other applicants getting As and Bs in maths.
Reply 5
Original post by lw8
I got a B in GCSE maths, but this is fairly irrelevant if you take A-level.

I've heard mixed stories about whether the C in maths would be sufficient (with 2A*s), i mean, it's not like economics at uni (most) gets much more in depth than concepts in C4 and M1 honestly, its just whether they might reject me due to huge competition from other applicants getting As and Bs in maths.

Except that you are currently fundamentally missing the offer requirement.

And the GCSE isn't irrelevant, they often specify a GCSE grade. And if you had, say, an A* then you *might* be able to make the case that you had an "off-day" in your AS-level Maths.

Anyway, you might find that BA Economics courses will be less concerned than BSc about the C in Maths.
Original post by jneill
Except that you are currently fundamentally missing the offer requirement.

And the GCSE isn't irrelevant, they often specify a GCSE grade. And if you had, say, an A* then you *might* be able to make the case that you had an "off-day" in your AS-level Maths.

Anyway, you might find that BA Economics courses will be less concerned than BSc about the C in Maths.

That's my question, yes i am missing the requirement, but my grades A*A*C are much better than AAB, so would there be some leeway due to my other grades which more than meet the requirement?

The GCSE is irrelevant if you take it to A2. A B in GCSE is equivalent to about 1, yes 1, UMS on an AS paper, nevermind A2, if i took GCSE now i'd get an A* in 30 minutes, i don't think they'd care about my abilities when i was 16, its about now. I got 8% on my first AS mock, i don't think they care about that either.

On the last comment, i presume you mean GCSE, its not about having an Off day at GCSE, any non-pretentious unis (basically non Oxbridge) understand that people actually improve from the age of 16, and their ability at GCSE is no way near what it is now. I didn't have an off day, when i was 16, i was a B grade GCSE maths student. Now, i am a B/C grade A level maths student, the step up is huge, i could get 100% in gcse maths if i took it now.
I got 1a, 6bs and a C at GCSE, any university that has a brain will realise that me now, as an 18 year old, isn't still at that level.
Reply 7
Original post by lw8
That's my question, yes i am missing the requirement, but my grades A*A*C are much better than AAB, so would there be some leeway due to my other grades which more than meet the requirement?

The GCSE is irrelevant if you take it to A2. A B in GCSE is equivalent to about 1, yes 1, UMS on an AS paper, nevermind A2, if i took GCSE now i'd get an A* in 30 minutes, i don't think they'd care about my abilities when i was 16, its about now. I got 8% on my first AS mock, i don't think they care about that either.

On the last comment, i presume you mean GCSE, its not about having an Off day at GCSE, any non-pretentious unis (basically non Oxbridge) understand that people actually improve from the age of 16, and their ability at GCSE is no way near what it is now. I didn't have an off day, when i was 16, i was a B grade GCSE maths student. Now, i am a B/C grade A level maths student, the step up is huge, i could get 100% in gcse maths if i took it now.
I got 1a, 6bs and a C at GCSE, any university that has a brain will realise that me now, as an 18 year old, isn't still at that level.

No, the off-day comment was in respect of you going from a good grade at GCSE to C at AS-level.

And A*A*C is not better that AAB unless the university is making an UCAS points-based offer, which they won't be at that level - that C in Maths is potentially a signifcant problem unless you apply to BA courses (as I mentioned earlier).

Anyway as you clearly think you've got all the answers for yourself carry on...
(edited 7 years ago)
What were your AS grades? Although you have A*A*C predictions, which are better than AAB in my opinion, wouldn't a few universities specify to have a requirement for maths?? Since you want to do Economics, wouldn't they be an A/B requirement? It is probably best you try and boost your maths target, as that is more important.
Original post by jneill
No, the off-day comment was in respect of you going from a good grade at GCSE to C at AS-level.

And A*A*C is not better that AAB unless the university is making an UCAS points-based offer, which they won't be at that level - that C in Maths is potentially a signifcant problem unless you apply to BA courses (as I mentioned earlier).

Anyway as you clearly think you've got all the answers for yourself carry on...

I got a D at AS, i'll be retaking and getting a B hopefully though.
Thanks for the help though.
Original post by Ze Witcher
What were your AS grades? Although you have A*A*C predictions, which are better than AAB in my opinion, wouldn't a few universities specify to have a requirement for maths?? Since you want to do Economics, wouldn't they be an A/B requirement? It is probably best you try and boost your maths target, as that is more important.

I got AAD at AS, as mentioned before i'll be retaking maths AS and i'm confident of getting a B. I got comfortable As in the other two.
Original post by lw8

Try applying for BA Economics courses like the one at Durham (I'm sure others do BA) that way there won't be as much focus on the C in maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
So for maths you got a B at GCSE, D at AS and are predicted C? Those aren't great grades, particularly for a degree like economics. If we can pick up on that concern, universities certainly will.
Original post by Duncan2012
So for maths you got a B at GCSE, D at AS and are predicted C? Those aren't great grades, particularly for a degree like economics. If we can pick up on that concern, universities certainly will.

D at AS, yes, but if you read all my posts i'll be retaking and i'll be getting at least a B. The GCSE is really irrelevant at this point...

The whole point of the post is that my maths grade is slightly low and i'm asking whether my other two A*s will make up for it. I have no doubts that i can take economics and get a first, especially when other people from physics/maths backgrounds are taking it, i will have a huge advantage from day 1, i love economics, i just hope universities aren't as pretentious as people say and would rather have someone who has a genuine passion for the subject over someone who took physics and maths at A-level and decide to take Economics as a degree because they've heard its got some maths in it and has great graduate salaries. Having marginally better maths skills will barely give them an advantage, maths in economics is easy.

Replying saying my grades are trash isn't helping anyone.
Reply 14
Original post by lw8
The whole point of the post is that my maths grade is slightly low and i'm asking whether my other two A*s will make up for it.

And throughout I and others have recommended you look at BA Economics courses without any acknowledgement that you are doing so.
Original post by lw8
D at AS, yes, but if you read all my posts i'll be retaking and i'll be getting at least a B. The GCSE is really irrelevant at this point...

The whole point of the post is that my maths grade is slightly low and i'm asking whether my other two A*s will make up for it. I have no doubts that i can take economics and get a first, especially when other people from physics/maths backgrounds are taking it, i will have a huge advantage from day 1, i love economics, i just hope universities aren't as pretentious as people say and would rather have someone who has a genuine passion for the subject over someone who took physics and maths at A-level and decide to take Economics as a degree because they've heard its got some maths in it and has great graduate salaries. Having marginally better maths skills will barely give them an advantage, maths in economics is easy.

Replying saying my grades are trash isn't helping anyone.

No guarantees you'll get "at least a B" in the retake. Universities aren't "pretentious" as you claim. Why shouldn't they take students with better grades than you? You seriously think you'll have "a huge advantage from day 1"? Saying "I have no doubts that I can take economics and get a first" is far too cocky when your most recent maths grade was a D.

I had doubts about your grades before. Now I have doubts about your attitude too. But it's your life so on you go and apply. You might get in, you might not. Let us know how you get on.
Original post by jneill
And throughout I and others have recommended you look at BA Economics courses without any acknowledgement that you are doing so.

Yes, thanks for the help.
But i was responding to the other guy who posted a completely irrelevant, pretentious reply basically saying my grades were ****.
Reply 17
Original post by lw8
Yes, thanks for the help.
But i was responding to the other guy who posted a completely irrelevant, pretentious reply basically saying my grades were ****.

No he didn't. He said they aren't great. Which is true. And if it was't true you wouldn't be bothering to resit.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Duncan2012
No guarantees you'll get "at least a B" in the retake. Universities aren't "pretentious" as you claim. Why shouldn't they take students with better grades than you? You seriously think you'll have "a huge advantage from day 1"? Saying "I have no doubts that I can take economics and get a first" is far too cocky when your most recent maths grade was a D.

I had doubts about your grades before. Now I have doubts about your attitude too. But it's your life so on you go and apply. You might get in, you might not. Let us know how you get on.

Why shouldn't they? Because they got better in maths, doesn't make them a better economics student. Someone could easily get in with AAB, including a B in economics, when i got an A*, to me thats wrong.

There's a difference between confidence and 'cocky', i have a clear direction in life, and unlike other students i wont go out drinking and partying every night like half the ****ing idiots that go to uni, I will make sure i do everything i possibly can to get a first, i want it that bad.

Also, i don't need to prove my 'attitude' to some dude online that just wants to respond to a thread saying my grades are poor without giving relevant help.

What did you get? (Don't answer that, i know you got all a*s, and i know you want to find a way to tell me you did)
Original post by jneill
No he didn't. He said they aren't great. Which is true. And if it was't true you wouldn't be bothering to resit.

I know its true :smile: If it wasn't i wouldn't have made this thread, its the whole point of the thread. Him pointing it out once more for me isn't helping anyone, its just a typical TSR comment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending