Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kraytz
How do I calculate my tariff points?
Predicted AAA so = 144 points
How do I calculate the ukcat points?

And is there anything else I can add to boost tarriff?

Hi there,

I'm no expert on admissions and it was a while back that I actually applied so I'm not the best person to ask about tariff points. You may want to refer to another thread where people discuss admissions policies in general.

Barts love,
Will
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 241
Hi. I'm currently on a gap year.

I was wondering if I have a chance to get an interview at Barts for 2017 entry with:
A*AAb achieved A2: Bio, Chem, Maths and AS Geography
670 with band 2.

Work experience, volunteering and extra curricular are good.

Thank you for your time.
Hi,
What GCSE grades do you have to achieve in order to get into QMUL ? Im also wanting to study medicine
Reply 243
6 A*, 5 A and 1 B

I don't play any instruments so UCAS tariff stuff is what I'm concerned about
Original post by Queen Mary University of London
Hi there,

I'm no expert on admissions and it was a while back that I actually applied so I'm not the best person to ask about tariff points. You may want to refer to another thread where people discuss admissions policies in general.

Barts love,
Will

GCSEs: 9 A* 1 A
A2 predictions: A*A*A (A in AS level not taking through to A2)
UKCAT: 747 (average) Band 1 Lots of extracurriculars and w' experience
UCAS Tariff: 234 (equivalent to 620 last year).
Please help.
Thank you
Hi theremy stats are
GCSEs 9A* 2As
AS AAAB (bio chem english lit and maths)
A2 predictions A*A*A* (bio chem and english lit)
UKCAT 680 sj band one
do you think i have a chance of getting in?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Sharmiin1226
Hi theremy stats are
GCSEs 9A* 2As
UKCAT 680 sj band one

What's your UCAS Tariff?
Original post by AZ98
Hi Will,

I'm considering applying to Queen Mary's this year for med. Although i really like what I've researched about it so far, i'm a bit worried about my chances of getting an interview. I know the weighting is 50:50 on UCAS tariff and UKCAT and i think my UCAS tariff is too low :frown: I have achieved A Level grades of A*AA and i'm applying on a gap year. My AS grades were AAAA and i'm not too concerned about my gcse's (A/A*) because i know they aren't looked at that much. From what i've calculated, i think my A Levels will give me a tariff of 172, which is quite low :/

My overall ukcat score is 2290, which gives an average of 763.3 and SJT Band 1. I don't know if this will compensate for a lower ucas tariff - or am I better off applying elsewhere instead of risking an option? I'm sitting on the fence at the moment haha.

Thanks

Hi there, thanks for getting in touch!

I can't tell you much regarding the policies of the admission department for Barts. However, you'll be taking a risk wherever you apply! I certainly know of people with worse grades at Barts who got in (myself included) and in my own opinion, you stand a pretty good chance!

Barts love,
Will
Original post by itshilpa
Hi Will,

Thank you for starting this thread. I have applied for MSc in Cancer and Clinical Oncology. I am from Singapore. Could you explain to me the accommodation process (when does it start), types of accommodation, teaching, students per class? Where do lectures take place and the closest accommodation place?

Thank you.

Hi there, thanks for getting in touch!

I don't know much about individual MSc courses offered by Barts and a lot of aspects of the degree will be different to the Medicine course. I imagine that most of the teaching for your MSc will be at Charterhouse Square which is our campus in Barbican, Central London. This campus contains within in Dawson Hall which is one of the medical school halls of residence.

I hope this helps!

Barts love,
Will
Original post by Sharmiin1226
Hi theremy stats are
GCSEs 9A* 2As
UKCAT 680 sj band one

Original post by undercover65
GCSEs: 9 A* 1 A
A2 predictions: A*A*A (A in AS level not taking through to A2)
UKCAT: 747 (average) Band 1 Lots of extracurriculars and w' experience
UCAS Tariff: 234 (equivalent to 620 last year).
Please help.
Thank you

Original post by AhmadF
6 A*, 5 A and 1 B

I don't play any instruments so UCAS tariff stuff is what I'm concerned about

Original post by nisha.sri
Hi,
What GCSE grades do you have to achieve in order to get into QMUL ? Im also wanting to study medicine

Original post by AhmadF
Hi. I'm currently on a gap year.

I was wondering if I have a chance to get an interview at Barts for 2017 entry with:
A*AAb achieved A2: Bio, Chem, Maths and AS Geography
670 with band 2.

Work experience, volunteering and extra curricular are good.

Thank you for your time.

Hi all,

It may not be entirely clear from my opening gambit but this thread is to offer a student perspective on the undergraduate course. I do not work for the admissions department so can not offer information on your chances of being successful upon applying. The most up to date information can be found here: http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/A100/index.html

Barts love,
Will
Hi all,

It may not be entirely clear from my opening gambit but this thread is to offer a student perspective on the undergraduate course. I do not work for the admissions department so can not offer information on your chances of being successful upon applying. The most up to date information can be found here: http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/A100/index.html

Barts love,
Will

Thanks. I think that all we are asking for is some reassurance (from someone who has successfully gone through the process), as it can be slightly confusing with the UCAS Tariff. As the selection criteria involves 50% of weighting on this section, it is an important question that needs answering. It's a great medical school and I know that we are all grateful for your input and advice.
663.3 good enough or would it be a wasted application?
Original post by Elliottmanwaring
663.3 good enough or would it be a wasted application?

Depends on your UCAS Tariff.
Original post by undercover65
Thanks. I think that all we are asking for is some reassurance (from someone who has successfully gone through the process), as it can be slightly confusing with the UCAS Tariff. As the selection criteria involves 50% of weighting on this section, it is an important question that needs answering. It's a great medical school and I know that we are all grateful for your input and advice.

Hi there, thanks for getting back to me!

You're right to want to get all the information you can before you apply! All of those who I replied to before (yourself included) absolutely have good enough grades to stand a chance of getting in. Most - if not all - are better than my own UCAS/A-Level stats. That said, I can't give you any indication of your chances of getting an interview because I just don't know!

Let me know if you've got any other questions! I'd be happy to answer them.

Barts love,
Will
Original post by Foo.mp3
Have you taken the time to read up on the #PaceTrial debacle yet, Will?

Hi there,

I have. But as I stated before, it would be entirely inappropriate for me to discuss my own views on this ongoing issue in my capacity as a QMUL rep on TSR.

Thanks for getting in touch.
Will
Hi Will
What were your stats? Both Ukcat and Ucas tariff. I hope you don't mind. I want to compare it with mine, because I am not happy with it. My Ukcat average is 660, sjt band 2, Ucas tariff is 470 using the old tariff.
Can someone explain to me how to get my UCAS tariff I have no Idea how to get it? I got AAAA at AS and I don't do any musical intrument ECA's so I doubt my Tariff is good?
Hi there,

I have. But as I stated before, it would be entirely inappropriate for me to discuss my own views on this ongoing issue in my capacity as a QMUL rep on TSR.

Thanks for getting in touch.
Will

I'd have thought that it is in your capacity as a QMUL rep on TSR that you would have a particular responsibility to speak out against the spinning of trail data and the smearing of patients.

I am concerned about the ethical standards QMUL seems to promote amongst staff and students, and think that the PACE trial is a valuable example of the harm that this can do to others. The response of QMUL to this scandal, and the failure of those at QMUL to speak out about these problems, does not reflect well on the institution as a respectable place of learning.
Do AS's in reformed A levels give you UCAS tariff points and how are they calculated

Predicted A*AA
As:AAAA
Also i have a cambridge national ict how many tariff points is that?
Original post by nu7
Do AS's in reformed A levels give you UCAS tariff points and how are they calculated

Predicted A*AA
As:AAAA
Also i have a cambridge national ict how many tariff points is that?

Yes they do, but only if you've dropped that subject.

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/getting-started/entry-requirements/tariff/calculator

Latest