The Student Room Group

Studying Chemistry externally Cost?!

Hello Guys,

So I really want to do both Biology and Chemistry for A-Levels however I got a C+ for core science and a B for additional science so im considered as a probation student and I am only allowed to do one science. I have considered of studying Chemistry externally since I am much more stronger at it as well as it being my favourite subject! I have already started to self-study however I was wondering how much the overall cost would be if I were to study Chemistry externally including practical fees and the examination fees ( I am aware that I have to individually pay the exam board the qualification fee)...
Its extremely unfair that another probation student that just recently moved to my sixth form with a Grade C at English can take 2 sciences however despite me studying at the same school for 5 years am not allowed.
HELP WHAT DO I DO?!!
I REALLY WANT TO STUDY BOTH BIOLOGY AND CHEMISTRY!!!
Original post by JenyR
Hello Guys,

So I really want to do both Biology and Chemistry for A-Levels however I got a C+ for core science and a B for additional science so im considered as a probation student and I am only allowed to do one science. I have considered of studying Chemistry externally since I am much more stronger at it as well as it being my favourite subject! I have already started to self-study however I was wondering how much the overall cost would be if I were to study Chemistry externally including practical fees and the examination fees ( I am aware that I have to individually pay the exam board the qualification fee)...
Its extremely unfair that another probation student that just recently moved to my sixth form with a Grade C at English can take 2 sciences however despite me studying at the same school for 5 years am not allowed.
HELP WHAT DO I DO?!!

Firstly, try to beg your teachers or head of sixth form to allow you to do Chemistry. I only asked once and they let me do it even though I didn't get the required Grade at GCSE.

As for sitting it externally I've heard it can be over £50 maybe even over £100
Goodluck!
Reply 2
Original post by TheYearNiner
Firstly, try to beg your teachers or head of sixth form to allow you to do Chemistry. I only asked once and they let me do it even though I didn't get the required Grade at GCSE.

As for sitting it externally I've heard it can be over £50 maybe even over £100
Goodluck!

Ive been begging them for what nearly 26 days?! The head of science says no not but the head of chemistry agreed as well as the head of sixth form.
Sitting externally costs around £50? i contacted a college and they informed that it was £165 for the exams and AQA website says chemistry is £40 for the qualification fee. Im not sure about the practical fees.
I heard it is around 450 for 2 practicals? :/ My teacher informed that there are around 12 practicals.. i dont have to really do it but i need proof that i attend. like attendance wise... i need endorsement? :/
I really dont know what to do! :albertein::erm:
Original post by JenyR
Ive been begging them for what nearly 26 days?! The head of science says no not but the head of chemistry agreed as well as the head of sixth form.
Sitting externally costs around £50? i contacted a college and they informed that it was £165 for the exams and AQA website says chemistry is £40 for the qualification fee. Im not sure about the practical fees.
I heard it is around 450 for 2 practicals? :/ My teacher informed that there are around 12 practicals.. i dont have to really do it but i need proof that i attend. like attendance wise... i need endorsement? :/
I really dont know what to do! :albertein::erm:

Honestly all I can really say is that you should bring your parents in if you're that dedicated for Chemistry and this should work, also if the head of chemistry agreed and head of sixth form agreed then just tell them to change it ASAP dont speak to the head of science.
Reply 4
Honestly all I can really say is that you should bring your parents in if you're that dedicated for Chemistry and this should work, also if the head of chemistry agreed and head of sixth form agreed then just tell them to change it ASAP dont speak to the head of science.

They have decided to call my parents in and try to change my mind.. To be honest they can try change my mind it just wont work and i have also told my parents everything that has happen and they have agreed to let me study Chemistry externally if my sixth form doesn't allow me.
Original post by JenyR
They have decided to call my parents in and try to change my mind.. To be honest they can try change my mind it just wont work and i have also told my parents everything that has happen and they have agreed to let me study Chemistry externally if my sixth form doesn't allow me.

So how did it go mate?
Reply 6
Original post by JenyR
Hello Guys,

HELP WHAT DO I DO?!!

AS exams are usually £40-50, whilst A2 exams are £90-100. With the new reformed exams you're probably going to be paying anywhere between £100-150 per subject.
Reply 7
Original post by JenyR

Good on you. My sixth form didn't allow me to study Maths, so I started self-studying. So far everything has been great. There are A LOT of resources online for people who wish to self-study. Everything from practice questions with worked solutions to having somebody on YouTube practically doing a lesson with you... If you put the work in, you'll do fine.
Original post by Aklaol
AS exams are usually £40-50, whilst A2 exams are £90-100. With the new reformed exams you're probably going to be paying anywhere between £100-150 per subject.

But for the new sciences the practical endorsement may prove very expensive. I've seen £1000 quoted as the cost at Campbell Harris, there may be cheaper options elsewhere but it's still going to be several £100's

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by gdunne42
But for the new sciences the practical endorsement may prove very expensive. I've seen £1000 quoted as the cost at Campbell Harris, there may be cheaper options elsewhere but it's still going to be several £100's

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah the practicals endorsement costs around £650+ .... Should i consider doing Human Biology as in self-studying it and taking Chemistry at school because during the whole month I haven't learnt a single thing in Biology and to be honest im just wasting my time waffling -_-
Reply 10
Original post by Aklaol
Good on you. My sixth form didn't allow me to study Maths, so I started self-studying. So far everything has been great. There are A LOT of resources online for people who wish to self-study. Everything from practice questions with worked solutions to having somebody on YouTube practically doing a lesson with you... If you put the work in, you'll do fine.

Maths is only exam based. Sciences aren't each of them require like 12 practicals each :frown:
Reply 11
So how did it go mate?

they havent informed my parents yet :/ they wont let me do it externally like they dont think its a good idea and all but currently im thinking of doing chemistry internally and human biology externally since it only requires coursework? which is way cheaper then practicals endorsement? :/
Original post by Aklaol

Good luck! I am doing maths as well and could you tell me the online resources you use?
Reply 13
Original post by kagawa88
Good luck! I am doing maths as well and could you tell me the online resources you use?

Sure! PM me your Skype and we can talk about the whole thing in detail

Quick Reply

Latest