The Student Room Group

3 Cs at AS- Should i still apply for medicine? UKCAT deadline today!

Ukcat deadline today, should I still apply for medicine?
Unless you can get predicted 3As then no.
Original post by HopelessMedic

quite savage :/
Don't. Unless you could apply for foundation courses (which are extremely competitive) or ofc get predicted 3 A grades.
Original post by TheYearNiner
quite savage :/

tru though
Original post by Meek99
Ukcat deadline today, should I still apply for medicine?

Original post by HopelessMedic

If OP meets certain contextual criteria, they could get in with ABB at certain unis.

OP: take a look at Newcastle's PARTNERS programme, Birmingham's A2B, and Leeds A2L. You'll still need ABB predictions though.
Reply 6
Yes, I'm hoping for ABB and that meets entry req. for extended medicine at kings college, but it's really unlikely.
Original post by Meek99
Yes, I'm hoping for ABB and that meets entry req. for extended medicine at kings college, but it's really unlikely.

You'd be better off focusing on getting AAA this year and then applying to medicine in a gap year.
Reply 8
Original post by ForestCat
You'd be better off focusing on getting AAA this year and then applying to medicine in a gap year.

Considering I get AAA/ better, would I be able to get into a uni for med. through
clearing/adjustment?

And if I do take a gap year, should I still do the UKCAT this year?
Original post by DarkEnergy
If OP meets certain contextual criteria, they could get in with ABB at certain unis.

OP: take a look at Newcastle's PARTNERS programme, Birmingham's A2B, and Leeds A2L. You'll still need ABB predictions though.

Yeh true, I was only thinking about standard entry.

But its a long shot getting predicted ABB from CCC, that's a big jump unless they have extenuating circumstances
Original post by Meek99
Considering I get AAA/ better, would I be able to get into a uni for med. through
clearing/adjustment?

Medicine isn't included in claening or adjustment. You'll have to take a gap year if you want to get in.
Original post by Meek99
clearing/adjustment?

No, just focus on doing well in school this year. UKCAT only lasts for one cycle.
Reply 12
Thanks for your help everyone!
Original post by Trapz99
Medicine isn't included in claening or adjustment. You'll have to take a gap year if you want to get in.

Original post by Meek99
clearing/adjustment?

SGUL were in clearing this year but that's a very rare occasion, although I read somewhere on here that medicine applications have been steadily decreasing the past few years so it could potentially happen again. Otherwise Trapz99 is right - you'll have to do a gap year and probably do some volunteering or something of that nature during the year. It'd look terrible for a medicine applicant to just have gone on holiday on a gap year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending