The Student Room Group

A Level Choices

Hello,

I am currently in the process of picking my A-levels which commence in Summer 2017 and I was wondering, which of the following combinations are more ideal in terms of career prospects?

English Literature
Maths with Mechanics (up to AS)
Chemistry
Philosophy

I very much enjoy science and subjects like Eng Lit and philosophy which require you to think beyond the surface details and when I'm older, I've also strongly considered a career in science but at the same time, I also thoroughly enjoy thought-provoking subjects like Eng Lit and philosophy.

Or...

Biology
Chemistry
Maths with Mechanics
Philosophy (up to AS)

Thank you!
FLM3026
Reply 1
option 2 seems better in terms of career opportunities and stuff but go with what you enjoy most or what you get the best grades in.
If you want the best comb. out of those subjects then do option 2 BUT swap philosophy for lit.

Why do year 11s choose so easily? I didn't choose until I finished year 11
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AdeptDz
option 2 seems better in terms of career opportunities and stuff but go with what you enjoy most or what you get the best grades in.

Most school ask you to choose mid-year 11, to get an idea, and then you confirm it and finalise it at the end of year 11.
Reply 3
Original post by BobBobson
Most school ask you to choose mid-year 11, to get an idea, and then you confirm it and finalise it at the end of year 11.

Oh cool, thanks. I guess my school was just different.
Reply 4
Original post by AdeptDz
If you want the best comb. out of those subjects then do option 2 BUT swap philosophy for lit.

Hello!

To be honest, I enjoy and do relatively well in all the subjects I'm vaguely considering the prospect of choosing and tbh, science-related careers can be picky in terms of its requirements (for the record, I don't see myself going into medicine, veterinary medicine or anything of the sort) and instead, maybe as a research or biomedical scientist but at the same time, I also enjoy Eng Lit and philosophy but careers can you get out of A level Eng Lit and/or philosophy?

Thanks!
FLM3026 :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by FLM3026
Hello!

To be honest, I enjoy and do relatively well in all the subjects I'm vaguely considering the prospect of choosing and tbh, science-related careers can be picky in terms of its requirements (for the record, I don't see myself going into medicine, veterinary medicine or anything of the sort) and instead, maybe as a research or biomedical scientist but at the same time, I also enjoy Eng Lit and philosophy but careers can you get out of A level Eng Lit and/or philosophy?

Thanks!

yh, personally i'd advise option 2 with englis lit over philosophy
this leaves your choices open..
careers with english degree:
journalist
teacher
stuff like that not too sure..

but STEM has better career options in terms of money anyway
Reply 6
Original post by AdeptDz
yh, personally i'd advise option 2 with englis lit over philosophy
this leaves your choices open..
careers with english degree:
journalist
teacher
stuff like that not too sure..

but STEM has better career options in terms of money anyway

Hey again!

So, if I were to do Eng Lit, Chemistry, Biology and Maths with Mechanics (AS), then I can keep my science AND business/management career options open?

Thank you!
Reply 7
Yes as some unis require maths for business managementBut if these are what career paths your interested in then i think you could change english lit to further maths or physics (guessing you don't like physics so FM, but only if you enjoy maths / willing to work hard) you don't need to change english lit but it may help.. if you really enjoy english lit and think you'll do good then keep it. An A in english lit is bettr than B/C in further maths but yh those are good choices anyway. They are all strong, respected subjected (and facilating subjexts)

Original post by FLM3026
Hey again!

So, if I were to do Eng Lit, Chemistry, Biology and Maths with Mechanics (AS), then I can keep my science AND business/management career options open?

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest