The Student Room Group

biochemistry//chemical engineering

Hi,

I just wondered whether it is possible to become a chemical engineer with a biochemistry degree? I very narrowly missed out on the entry requirements to study chemical engineering at the University of Nottingham and thought biochemistry would be an alternative path?

All help appreciated.

Thanks, James :smile:
Original post by JamesStanley
Hi,

I just wondered whether it is possible to become a chemical engineer with a biochemistry degree? I very narrowly missed out on the entry requirements to study chemical engineering at the University of Nottingham and thought biochemistry would be an alternative path?

All help appreciated.

It's very much dependent on what kind of chemical engineer you want to be. It may be the case you'd need to get a Masters in something like advanced chemical engineering, particularly if you hope to go into fine chemicals where the bio-side of your degree will be less useful.

With a biochemistry degree though, you're in a good position to get into wastewater treatment, foods, biopharma, etc. Make sure there's an option to take quantitative modules on the course as well, as numerical skills are definitely going to be far less tested in a biochemistry degree than an engineering degree.

I should say as well that there is a pretty big difference between a natural science based degree and an engineering degree, one is focused on advancing scientific knowledge and the other is a design degree being supported by scientific knowledge.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JamesStanley
Hi,

All help appreciated.

It's generally very difficult to get into engineering with a science degree. If you know at this stage you want to go into engineering, then you are far better off getting an engineering degree, rather than worrying about masters courses, how to be competitive against those with full undergraduate backgrounds in engineering, work experience, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending