The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Can I get Into ICL With No Further Maths And A Sub Par Personal Statement?

I really want to do computing at ICL and i am self teaching Further Maths so that i have a better chance, but if it fails can i get into ICL with a qualification in Pure Mathematics possibly ending up with the following grades:
A* (Pure Mathematics)
A* (Physics)
A* (Chemistry)

If all i had to mention on my Personal Statement (among other things) at the moment of application was that i created an app/game and self taught Pure Mathematics could i get into ICl?
If you meet the entry requirements and otherwise have a strong application you will be fine.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by alleycat393
If you meet the entry requirements and otherwise have a strong application you will be fine.
From my knowledge that is not always the case with ICL. My brother applied for Computing there with:

A* (Maths)
A* (Further Maths)
A* (Chemistry)
B (Physics)

They rejected him even though the entry requirements were A*AAA (A* in Maths). He got a remark, and gladly moved up to an A in Physics and was then accepted by the Uni. With such competition is it possible for me to get into ICL with no Further Maths, an average Personal Statement and straight A*'s?

A* (Maths/Pure Mathematics)
A* (Physics)
A* (Chemistry)
(edited 7 years ago)
Why does your personal statement have to be 'sub-par'? Just because you don't have insane extra-curriculars doesn't mean your PS can't be good. If I remember correctly, you're going to be talking about academic interests for the the majority of your PS anyway. Do some reading on computing related stuff that interests you and try to make your passion for the subject show, the app you created is definitely something solid you can talk about as well. Get your teachers and the people at the TSR PS review forums to go over it until you're sure it's the best it can be.
Original post by justinawe
Why does your personal statement have to be 'sub-par'? Just because you don't have insane extra-curriculars doesn't mean your PS can't be good. If I remember correctly, you're going to be talking about academic interests for the the majority of your PS anyway. Do some reading on computing related stuff that interests you and try to make your passion for the subject show, the app you created is definitely something solid you can talk about as well. Get your teachers and the people at the TSR PS review forums to go over it until you're sure it's the best it can be.
Considering that i'll be taking a gap year, i won't have access to the resources at my school and so i was actually thinking of getting a PS Reviewer on TSR to help me with it (Thanks for the info btw). I treat my Personal Statement (at the moment) as being relatively average because in comparison people have done way more and know way more than me on Computing that in comparison it's "Sub Par".
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Paranoid_Glitch
Considering that i'll be taking a gap year, i won't have access to the resources at my school and so i was actually thinking of getting a PS Reviewer on TSR to help me with it (Thanks for the info btw). I treat my Personal Statement (at the moment) as being relatively average because in comparison people have done way more and know way more than me on Computing that in comparison it's "Sub Par".

Yeah, definitely get some PS help from this forum if you can't get someone from your school to help.

PS thing aside, those subjects and grades are probably fine. Further Maths is a big advantage but not a 100% must, self-studying a couple of the further pure modules definitely helps you as well. Are you predicted A*A*A*? Or are you going to be applying after you have your results?

To explain your brother's case btw, A*A*A*B technically doesn't meet the requirements of A*AAA, which is the reason he got rejected and later accepted after his remark.
Original post by justinawe
Yeah, definitely get some PS help from this forum if you can't get someone from your school to help.

PS thing aside, those subjects and grades are probably fine. Further Maths is a big advantage but not a 100% must, self-studying a couple of the further pure modules definitely helps you as well. Are you predicted A*A*A*? Or are you going to be applying after you have your results?

To explain your brother's case btw, A*A*A*B technically doesn't meet the requirements of A*AAA, which is the reason he got rejected and later accepted after his remark.
After I get my results. Can't get into the unis i want to with my current grades

B - Physics
B - Chemistry
C - Maths

Physics was 78% and Chemistry was 79% so i still do have a chance at getting the A*. Resisting Maths and i'm sure i'll get an A in the AS modules (78% sure)
Original post by Paranoid_Glitch
From my knowledge that is not always the case with ICL. My brother applied for Computing there with:

A* (Maths)
A* (Further Maths)
A* (Chemistry)
B (Physics)

They rejected him even though the entry requirements were A*AAA (A* in Maths). He got a remark, and gladly moved up to an A in Physics and was then accepted by the Uni. With such competition is it possible for me to get into ICL with no Further Maths, an average Personal Statement and straight A*'s?

A* (Maths/Pure Mathematics)
A* (Physics)
A* (Chemistry)

Yes competition has a role but that isn't something you can control. It's your grades and the rest of your application are strong then you have a good chance.

Quick Reply

Latest