The Student Room Group

How many hour per week

My GCSE were average;
ABBBBBCCCCCC

It was my fault for not revising and sleeping for 4/5 years and school, i do not intend to make the same mistake again, at A level now im doing: Sociology,

English Language and History. Ive been studying at home and am top of my class in all of the subjects.
However i dont want to get burned out studying at home I am naturally intelligent but i dont want to rely on that and then fall flat. so can someone recommend a average good hourly study time - (per week) that would be good to get A*A*A* (want to go to Cambridge).
Reply 1
Average i've heard, well probably not average but what you're 'supposed' to do is 5 hours per subject a week.
If you want to aim higher like A* A* A* probably dedicate school evenings to work - with breaks inbetween ofcourse to watch tv, eat etc.
Then have friday and saturday off. Well I'm saying this while assuming you are a just above average student (based on your GCSEs).
Some will say 'you don't have to revise that much to get A*' but this is based on personal experiences. What i'm saying is just what i think is realistic and would recommend.

Good luck anyway,
You can do it.. don't let anyone tell you otherwise
(edited 7 years ago)
1.) Don't Think You're 'naturally intelligent' because A levels will make you look dumb.
2.) Work HARD. Put the hours in at home and in the library. use your FREES to do work.
3.) Pray that you get good papers.

That's the way to get good grades..
Reply 3
Original post by AdeptDz
Average i've heard, well probably not average but what you're 'supposed' to do is 5 hours per subject a week.
If you want to aim higher like A* A* A* probably dedicate school evenings to work - with breaks inbetween ofcourse to watch tv, eat etc.
Then have friday and saturday off. Well I'm saying this while assuming you are a just above average student (based on your GCSEs).
Some will say 'you don't have to revise that much to get A*' but this is based on personal experiences. What i'm saying is just what i think is realistic and would recommend.

Good luck anyway,
You can do it.. don't let anyone tell you otherwise
- At the moment im doing around 30 Hrs and that includes bus journeys (1 hour there and 1 hour back) but i feel thats too much, but neither do i want to think "oh thats too much ill take it easy" then do too little

Original post by FailedMyMocks
1.) Don't Think You're 'naturally intelligent' because A levels will make you look dumb.- I dont want to make that mistake so thats why im trying to get the most out of revision
2.) Work HARD. Put the hours in at home and in the library. use your FREES to do work.-I will do that
3.) Pray that you get good papers. - Well lets hope so but i think luck is a whole load of BS

That's the way to get good grades..
30 hours a week after school?

That's far too much for now.. You'll burn out.
Reply 5
personally i dont believe in 'too much' revision
I don't really count hours
I usually just set goals and make sure i complete them by the end of the day or week
e.g. finish chapter 1 by end of work
or
monday - finish all homework

Also don't force yourself to revise if you're tired or stressed.. take a break and you shouldnt burn out
also try to enjoy revision so its nt boring and you actually want to do it
ad if you feel its too much then jjst reduce a bit but yh jjust do whatver you're comfortbale with while keeping on top of class.
Would also recommend goigg ahead of class if you understand everything
Reply 6
Also, try to balance work and fun by having fun betwen breaks and weekends.. and you shouldnt burn out.. don't listen to people saying you will burn out
Reply 7
Original post by AdeptDz
personally i dont believe in 'too much' revision
I don't really count hours
I usually just set goals and make sure i complete them by the end of the day or week
e.g. finish chapter 1 by end of work
or
monday - finish all homework

Also don't force yourself to revise if you're tired or stressed.. take a break and you shouldnt burn out
also try to enjoy revision so its nt boring and you actually want to do it
ad if you feel its too much then jjst reduce a bit but yh jjust do whatver you're comfortbale with while keeping on top of class.
Would also recommend goigg ahead of class if you understand everything

Ive wrangled a contents page for the nexts years of my teachers so when im without work i try to look ahead or go over things and get the memorised.

Other than that i make sure i do 1 hour revision before i go to bed (seems to really work) and keep other times on schedule but i take 5 min breaks every 20 min so i dont get tired.

Hpoefully it all goes well and thanks for advice
Reply 8
Original post by YensonGrey
Ive wrangled a contents page for the nexts years of my teachers so when im without work i try to look ahead or go over things and get the memorised.

Other than that i make sure i do 1 hour revision before i go to bed (seems to really work) and keep other times on schedule but i take 5 min breaks every 20 min so i dont get tired.

Hpoefully it all goes well and thanks for advice

No problem, thats good.
I don't like doing that bu it works for a lot of people. I prefer revising for like 1hour then taking like a 30m break. I feel like 5mins is to short for me to do anything fun, like watch TV, play a game etc.

Quick Reply

Latest