The Student Room Group

***UKCAT 2017 poll***

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Member1995
Rosser1994,

I don't know where you're getting these ridiculous figures from.

1. They go on the pool of applicants that apply to their specific uni, so we will never be certain until they release them
2. If you were to work it out this way... e.g. for A100

2016 entry- the cut off was 2730 (682.5 avg) with the national average being 2531

2730-2531/2531= 0.0786

Therefore, if you multiply the current average (1931) by 1.0786, you end up with 2082.8 thus 694.3 on average

I've just come home to try and workout what I did this morning and for the life of me I can't figure it out but I'm now getting the same numbers as everyone else! Sorry for the scare 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gogregg
The top decile this year so far according to the interim results was 730 average. Where on earth are you getting 780 from?

I THINK what I did this morning to get to 780 was take the top decile average for 2014 entry and workout the difference between that and the Newcastle grad cut off and since the interim this year was higher just worked from that. But basically ignore it, the ball of stress I was this morning completely messed with me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Xenon17
where are the interim results??

http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/about-the-test/applications/
At the bottom of the page :smile:

Original post by Rosser1994
I THINK what I did this morning to get to 780 was take the top decile average for 2014 entry and workout the difference between that and the Newcastle grad cut off and since the interim this year was higher just worked from that. But basically ignore it, the ball of stress I was this morning completely messed with me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, no worries! We all have those moments :lol:
Original post by Rosser1994
Also A100 cut offs are below.. they would likely see an increase on the 2014 result upto around 750

A100
2011 2670
2012 2660
2013 2780
2014 2980
2015 - 2300
2016 - 2730

Posted from TSR Mobile

Jesus Christ, there was no need to give me a heart attack! :wink:
Others' calculations seem more robust; so relax.
Original post by Katray
I think it's hard to say which one is "more" similar tbh. but of course the official mocks are provided by the UKCAT so that would give you the most accurate representation.
For QR I just went straight to the question and didn't read the info that comes with it. For most questions I didn't have to read the other info.
I was averaging higher on medify than I got in the real exam except I never got a Band 1 on the mocks but in the exam I did so I think you really can't predict anything.
All you can do is keep practicing and be calm on the day! Good luck.

Thanks for the kind words, I hope it does go well. Best of luck with GEM :smile:
Reply 265
Original post by studentsixth
The average is always higher in the interim scores than the end of testing ones. I'd say if anything, all the deciles will go down by about 10-15 by the end of testing.

Exactly, 2014 September preliminary results had the average about 40 points higher than the final average. This year's preliminary results consisted of less than half of the registered candidates. So I'm guessing (hoping) that it would likely decrease again.
Original post by Carcosa
Exactly, 2014 September preliminary results had the average about 40 points higher than the final average. This year's preliminary results consisted of less than half of the registered candidates. So I'm guessing (hoping) that it would likely decrease again.

The interim average was 31 points higher, over 4 sections, so it went down by an average of about 8 points by the end of testing (from 634 to 626.25). And in 2014, the interim results were released when only 2300 people had taken the test (roughly 10%), so this year's figures are likely to be more representative. They may well go down, but I wouldn't gamble an application on there being much in it.
The average is always higher in the interim scores than the end of testing ones. I'd say if anything, all the deciles will go down by about 10-15 by the end of testing.

You mean the one other year interim average scores were released (2014), after only 10% of candidates had completed the test, they were higher than end of testing scores?
Reply 268
With a score of 1950, averaging out to 650, band 2 , where do you think I can apply
Original post by r.g
With a score of 1950, averaging out to 650, band 2 , where do you think I can apply

You need to give more information than that for people to be able to advise you. GCSEs/ASs/A2 predictions/strength of PS?
Where have you looked at? Where have you ruled out? Where do you think is a good fit for your strengths??
I have kept data from 2014 tests (for 2015 entry) from the year my son sat the UKCAT . This is the year AFTER the crazy high scores. I am copying them down exactly as they printed off from the UKCAT website

There were 2 sets of interim results:

Up to 31st Aug 2014

Decile
1st 2210
2nd 2340
3rd 2420
4th 2490
5th 2550
6th 2610
7th 2670
8th 2750
9th 2860
10th 2860+
Ave 2539

Up to 15th Sept

Decile
1st 2230
2nd 2350
3rd 2430
4th 2490
5th 2550
6th 2610
7th 2680
8th 2750
9th 2860
10th 2860+
Ave 2546

End of testing

Decile
1st 2180
2nd 2310
3rd 2380
4th 2450
5th 2510
6th 2570
7th 2630
8th 2710
9th 2820
10th 2820+
Ave 2505

It is impossible to predict what will happen this year, but at least this gives an idea of the pattern in the 2014 testing :smile:.
It's all available on their website, but, as stated, nobody knows what will happen this year.

Taking DA out of the equation (as it is the one there has been most variation in, and is the one missing this year), averages have gone up year on year, upper deciles have been more static
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by GANFYD
It's all available on their website, but, as stated, nobody knows what will happen this year.

Taking DA out of the equation (as it is the one there has been most variation in, and is the one missing this year), averages have gone up year on year, upper deciles have been more static

I couldn't find those details on the website :colondollar:, so thought that I was being helpful copying them all out. Could have saved myself a lot of time! What section of the website did you find them? Thanks for linking them in.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 273
I got 4 a stars, 3 as and 2bs at gcses. At as I got aaab and i am predicted aaa. Im thinking of applying to nottingham, manchester, Liverpool and Sheffield.
Original post by Just_a_mum
I couldn't find those details on the website :colondollar:, so thought that I was being helpful copying them all out. Could have saved myself a lot of time! What section of the website did you find them? Thanks for linking them in.

They are in media uploads. But I am not as organised as you! My son also sat the UKCAT in 2014, and I had saved the documents, so managed to find them lurking on my hard drive somewhere! There is so much information out there, it needs careful research, as WHERE people apply is more likely to determine their chance of success than any of their other results individually!
Original post by r.g
I got 4 a stars, 3 as and 2bs at gcses. At as I got aaab and i am predicted aaa. Im thinking of applying to nottingham, manchester, Liverpool and Sheffield.

So how do you score on Nottingham's scoring system? And how does this compare to previous cut offs? How does your UKCAT compare with cut offs at Manchester over recent years? And are you confident that you will do well on their equivalent form to the PS? Have you scored your GCSE's for Liverpool? And looked at their UKCAT cut off last year? And Sheffield are purely using a UKCAT ranking system for the first time this year, but have given an equivalent cut off last year of around 675, I believe. The information needed to work out how competitive you are is out there, you just need to look for it and then see how your stats compare.
I suspect you may be a bit low for Nottingham, Manchester and Sheffield, but you would need to check to be sure. Liverpool should be fine.
Original post by GANFYD
You mean the one other year interim average scores were released (2014), after only 10% of candidates had completed the test, they were higher than end of testing scores?

No, they released several. Here's the one from mid-September:

http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/2014%20Preliminary%20Mean%20Scores%20150914.pdf
Original post by GANFYD
The interim average was 31 points higher, over 4 sections, so it went down by an average of about 8 points by the end of testing (from 634 to 626.25). And in 2014, the interim results were released when only 2300 people had taken the test (roughly 10%), so this year's figures are likely to be more representative. They may well go down, but I wouldn't gamble an application on there being much in it.

Looking at the 11,000/23,000 who took it from 2014, I'd be pretty sure the trend will be exactly the same this year (this isn't even wishful thinking at this point). It may not be as dramatic as the 2014, but I can see a 10 point drop at each decile by the end of testing cycle either way.

I mean, this is my whole issue with interim results as it causes unnecessary panic when we don't even have the whole picture yet. I'd much rather have the full results in October than these.
(edited 7 years ago)

I know, I have attached them above. But 2014 is the only other year they have released interim results, so to say they are "always higher" is a little misleading. They were higher the one year they were published.......although I guess this is always, it is hardly a strong trend you can rely on.......
(edited 7 years ago)
Did anyone else find the official UKCAT mock QR section disgustingly more difficult than Medify (hell even the ISC book!)? Have only completed one mock of each (UKCAT and Medify) so far but had to guess about 50% of the questions in the official UKCAT QR section as the questions were so time consuming and had a **** ton more information to process.

My exam is a week tomorrow so I will have all the mocks done by then, but feeling a bit disheartened after my first go at an official mock despite doing about the same in VR and AR as I managed in Medify.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending