The Student Room Group

What are my chances of getting into my choices of uni?

I'm applying for medicine for 2017 entry, and I was just wondering if my grades are OK for my uni choices or if they're not suitable. I got 5A*s and 8A's at GCSE (and I acknowledge that they're a bit low for medicine), and I'm currently taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths at A Level, my predicted grades are A*AAA, with a possible A becoming an A*. I haven't done UKCAT or BMAT yet, but I think I should be at least average judging from my practice papers. I'm also completing an EPQ, and a Medical Terminology City&Guilds certificate. I'm applying for Oxford, Cardiff, Queen Mary's and Imperial. What do you think of my chances?
Based on your GCSE's Oxford and Cardiff are extremely risky, id even go as far as to say that you probably wont get it.

Oxford looks at %of A*s and number of A*s, with the successful applicants having around 90% A*s and 10.3 A*s, so you can see you are quite below this.

For Cardiff they say you shouldn't apply with less than 6A*s at GCSE but in reality the cut off has been 8A*s for the last two years.

I personally think applying to those two will be a waste of an application, and its much easier to decide once you have your UKCAT.
Reply 2
Original post by HopelessMedic
Based on your GCSE's Oxford and Cardiff are extremely risky, id even go as far as to say that you probably wont get it.

Oxford looks at %of A*s and number of A*s, with the successful applicants having around 90% A*s and 10.3 A*s, so you can see you are quite below this.

For Cardiff they say you shouldn't apply with less than 6A*s at GCSE but in reality the cut off has been 8A*s for the last two years.

I personally think applying to those two will be a waste of an application, and its much easier to decide once you have your UKCAT.

I've been told by a lot of people that Cardiff doesn't really care about UKCAT, so maybe I'm screwed there. Do you think if I score really high on BMAT Oxford might consider me? Even with lower than desirable GCSE grades?
Original post by mispelt
I've been told by a lot of people that Cardiff doesn't really care about UKCAT, so maybe I'm screwed there. Do you think if I score really high on BMAT Oxford might consider me? Even with lower than desirable GCSE grades?

Your right, Cardiff pays very little attention to the UKCAT.

You have great GCSE's and with a good UKCAT/BMAT score you have a strong chance of getting offers, but probably not from Oxford/Cardiff. They are extremely GCSE heavy.

I don't think Oxford would consider you even with an amazing BMAT, maybe Cambridge tho
Original post by mispelt
I'm applying for medicine for 2017 entry, and I was just wondering if my grades are OK for my uni choices or if they're not suitable. I got 5A*s and 8A's at GCSE (and I acknowledge that they're a bit low for medicine), and I'm currently taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths at A Level, my predicted grades are A*AAA, with a possible A becoming an A*. I haven't done UKCAT or BMAT yet, but I think I should be at least average judging from my practice papers. I'm also completing an EPQ, and a Medical Terminology City&Guilds certificate. I'm applying for Oxford, Cardiff, Queen Mary's and Imperial. What do you think of my chances?

GCSES honestly mean nothing not in the sense they dont get looked at but it isnt a great reflection of what you WILL get in A levels trust me. There are literally a dozen of people who got great GCSES like yourself some even better but got As in a level who were naturally clever scored decently in UCKAT but still didnt make it.
Medicine is the most competetive course so predictions for alevels go out of the widow most will give you one grade equal to or higher than your GCSE. So realistically the question is pointless till your first AS
Reply 5
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
GCSES honestly mean nothing not in the sense they dont get looked at but it isnt a great reflection of what you WILL get in A levels trust me. There are literally a dozen of people who got great GCSES like yourself some even better but got As in a level who were naturally clever scored decently in UCKAT but still didnt make it.
Medicine is the most competetive course so predictions for alevels go out of the widow most will give you one grade equal to or higher than your GCSE. So realistically the question is pointless till your first AS

Well I already have an A in maths, but I'm retaking for an A* so that's the only result I have because all sciences are linear, and I'm only starting doing further maths now. You think it's worth a shot?
Original post by mispelt
Well I already have an A in maths, but I'm retaking for an A* so that's the only result I have because all sciences are linear, and I'm only starting doing further maths now. You think it's worth a shot?

Yeh definitely just make sure you try and get as much experience as possible as alot of people will have the same grades as you which is why people skills experiences etc are much more important really when it comes to dentistry or medicine
Reply 7
Your right, Cardiff pays very little attention to the UKCAT.

You have great GCSE's and with a good UKCAT/BMAT score you have a strong chance of getting offers, but probably not from Oxford/Cardiff. They are extremely GCSE heavy.

I don't think Oxford would consider you even with an amazing BMAT, maybe Cambridge tho

OK tbh, I'm gonna try Oxford no matter what, I know it's unlikely but I want to try because hey, if I even get an interview I think I'd be happy. What are your opinions on Manchester? Sorry if I'm bombarding you lmao
Original post by mispelt
OK tbh, I'm gonna try Oxford no matter what, I know it's unlikely but I want to try because hey, if I even get an interview I think I'd be happy. What are your opinions on Manchester? Sorry if I'm bombarding you lmao

At the end of the day its your choice and if your set on applying to Oxford then go for it, just know that you'll have to get an unbelievable BMAT to have a shot.

Manchester are very UKCAT heavy, like 700 or even higher
Reply 9
At the end of the day its your choice and if your set on applying to Oxford then go for it, just know that you'll have to get an unbelievable BMAT to have a shot.

Manchester are very UKCAT heavy, like 700 or even higher

I think it's a toss up between St George's and Manchester. 700 is hard but doable, either way I gotta revise my ass off now lol.
Original post by mispelt
I think it's a toss up between St George's and Manchester. 700 is hard but doable, either way I gotta revise my ass off now lol.

If you haven't got it yet then I massively recommend getting Medify. Its well worth the price and was the best resource I used

Quick Reply