The Student Room Group

The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2017!

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys! Would you recommend applying to a vacation scheme and training contract for the same firm? Also how do you guys decide on which firms you want to do a scheme with and the ones you want to do a training contract with?
Original post by worstusername
Just echoing dlaiden, Conzy and iano - last year's thread was super useful, so I'm happy to answer any questions you might have! I did vac schemes this summer at Clifford Chance and Pinsent Masons, got a TC offer from both, and I've chosen CC :smile:

Wow that is super impressive!!! Did you apply for a vacation scheme and a training contract for CC at the same time? Also I finished my first year at University of Essex studying llb law with a 71% average, I was in the law society, debate society and much more. This fall, I plan on being involved in more societies and volunteering at legal centres. What else do I need to do to stand out? I really am hoping to get a vacation scheme for summer 2017 and a training contract in 2019 but what are my chances? If my chances are low what can I do to improve my chances? Also Im an international student from North America.
Do you guys recommend applying to winter vacation schemes right now? Im going into second year but never did any first year vacation schemes however I was able to pull a first for my first year.
I know it can change, but does anyone know what percentile usually makes the cut for a VRT or WG?
Original post by J-SP
There's little point applying for both at the same time unless the firm asks you to.

Apply for vac schemes first see how those applications go, and then apply for training contracts. The exception is if the firms TC deadline is earlier than when the vacation scheme starts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What if the summer vacation scheme and training contract deadlines are at the same time for the firm?
Original post by MimiUNI
Do you guys recommend applying to winter vacation schemes right now? Im going into second year but never did any first year vacation schemes however I was able to pull a first for my first year.

I might be wrong but it was my understanding that winter vacs are aimed at final year & post grad students anyway :smile: summer schemes will be more geared towards your stage of study I'd say.
Original post by MimiUNI
Wow that is super impressive!!! Did you apply for a vacation scheme and a training contract for CC at the same time? Also I finished my first year at University of Essex studying llb law with a 71% average, I was in the law society, debate society and much more. This fall, I plan on being involved in more societies and volunteering at legal centres. What else do I need to do to stand out? I really am hoping to get a vacation scheme for summer 2017 and a training contract in 2019 but what are my chances? If my chances are low what can I do to improve my chances? Also Im an international student from North America.

Thank you! :biggrin: No, I just applied for the vacation scheme, because I knew they interviewed you at the end for a TC anyway.

Your results and extra-curriculars so far seem to tick all the boxes :smile: I think it's worth mentioning, though, that I personally did things a different way. I only decided I wanted to be a lawyer last winter and as such, when applying for vac schemes, I was a non-law student who hadn't really been involved with my uni law soc at all, and had done zero proper debating in my life. I thought all this would put me at a disadvantage but, with hindsight, I think the fact that I had diverse extra-curriculars stood out amongst the hundreds of people helping at legal centres etc. Maybe you could consider doing something like I did, a role that involves organisation and responsibility but doesn't seem immediately law-related. I had been a Head of Entertainment for a small ball, Head of Events for the Modern Languages society and the Secretary and Guest Liaison of another society, just to give you an idea of the kind of things I wrote down. Although I didn't have law in mind when taking up these roles, I found I was able to link them to my interest in law, which seemed to be well received. Do something fun on the side to show you're well-rounded, too! (My choice was the uni cheerleading team, but obviously anything vaguely sporty/recreational counts).

In terms of your chances, as I say, I had good reason to think I had no hope and that turned out to be wrong! As long as you choose firms you're genuinely interested in, can demonstrate why your degree/extra-curriculars have prepared you for a law career, and have confidence in yourself, you have as good a chance as anyone. Good luck! :smile:
Just submitted my Shearman app :biggrin: Does anyone know if they recruit on a rolling basis?
Original post by aspriringlawyer
Just submitted my Shearman app :biggrin: Does anyone know if they recruit on a rolling basis?

They say they do, but their usual practice is to start screening closer to the deadline as they prefer to do it in fewer bigger sweeps due to their grad rec team being pretty small.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Clifford Chance slashing trainee numbers from 100 to 80 by 2018, so we should be okay this round (considering anyone is lucky enough to get that far in the process)
Original post by J-SP
Except anyone applying for vacation schemes for this year are more likely to be applying for 2019 training contracts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ahh okay, I wasn't sure if they meant it from that year onwards as in they would wait until 2018 and that in the 2 years prior it would be okay. from looking at other firms it seems to have the effect of a higher trainee retention figure, whether that's because more offers are made or what I don't know, should be interesting though.
Thank you! :biggrin: No, I just applied for the vacation scheme, because I knew they interviewed you at the end for a TC anyway.

Your results and extra-curriculars so far seem to tick all the boxes :smile: I think it's worth mentioning, though, that I personally did things a different way. I only decided I wanted to be a lawyer last winter and as such, when applying for vac schemes, I was a non-law student who hadn't really been involved with my uni law soc at all, and had done zero proper debating in my life. I thought all this would put me at a disadvantage but, with hindsight, I think the fact that I had diverse extra-curriculars stood out amongst the hundreds of people helping at legal centres etc. Maybe you could consider doing something like I did, a role that involves organisation and responsibility but doesn't seem immediately law-related. I had been a Head of Entertainment for a small ball, Head of Events for the Modern Languages society and the Secretary and Guest Liaison of another society, just to give you an idea of the kind of things I wrote down. Although I didn't have law in mind when taking up these roles, I found I was able to link them to my interest in law, which seemed to be well received. Do something fun on the side to show you're well-rounded, too! (My choice was the uni cheerleading team, but obviously anything vaguely sporty/recreational counts).

In terms of your chances, as I say, I had good reason to think I had no hope and that turned out to be wrong! As long as you choose firms you're genuinely interested in, can demonstrate why your degree/extra-curriculars have prepared you for a law career, and have confidence in yourself, you have as good a chance as anyone. Good luck! :smile:

Thank you so much for all of this! If just wanted to know if you think my chances are hindered since I'm from North America(so an international student) and my uni is not in the RG? If my chances are hindered what do you think I can do to stand out?
Hi everyone!
I am looking to get some advice.

I got a very low 2.1 (just about made it) in my first year (from Cambridge) with low 2.1s in 2 modules and high 2.2s in the other 2. I have done 2 legal internships at the big city firms in my home country (international student here) over summer and have other non-legal work experience that I did before Uni. I haven't attended any Open Days but I did go to a few College organised law firm networking dinners throughout first year.
My extra-curriculars are pretty extensive (Head of a society, positions in 2 other committees, uni sports seconds team last year, some mooting).

Does anyone have any recommendations on which city firms to apply to and how many applications would be a good number for my profile?
I am hoping to get a VS with MC/US firms but am not sure if my grades are good enough?
Thanks a lot!
Hi guys, has anyone heard back from ashurst? been a while since i sent my app of but haven't heard anything!
Original post by MimiUNI
Thank you so much for all of this! If just wanted to know if you think my chances are hindered since I'm from North America(so an international student) and my uni is not in the RG? If my chances are hindered what do you think I can do to stand out?

No problem! Don't worry about that - they care a LOT more about you as a person than about where you study :smile:*
Original post by J-SP
True - but in this situation a firm does have to consider the work permit process requirements and proving that a candidate they hire is stronger than the EU candidates in the same application cycle. Which can be a little more difficult if you have stressed requirements in your job spec, and then a candidate has not achieved that.

This is true unfortunately, do you know any international that might have went through this process?
Original post by J-SP
Yes, plenty. International students can and are recruited into both vac schemes and training contracts. They just need a strong application form and performance through any subsequent assessments.

Yep, exactly - fair point on the practicalities but, if they like you, I can't see them turning you down because of where you live/study :smile:
Yep, exactly - fair point on the practicalities but, if they like you, I can't see them turning you down because of where you live/study :smile:

Thank you so much for this! Do you know if I would need a work visa for the vacation scheme?or just the training contract?
Hello guys!

I've been invited for an interview at Jones Day for a vac scheme. I received the email yesterday and was told that I should book in as soon as possible. Every time I log in to the booking system it is empty (no slots)... I tried yesterday and I've tried this morning and still nothing. I don't know if they have started interviews yet but I'm a bit confused as to what I'm supposed to do. Do I wait? Or do I ring grad rec and ask whether this is normal? It does say I have until the 28th of October to book my slot which is a long time.

Has anyone been through a Jones Day process before that could help? Anyones comments or suggestions would be appreciated :smile:

Quick Reply