The Student Room Group

Introvert Freshers Thread :)

Hey so I moved into my flat on Sunday and I started lectures yesterday. I'm a female computing student so everything is pretty intense but I'm excited to finally study something I love!
However, I'm an introvert so I'm not going out clubbing with my flat mates during Freshers (I went on the first night and hated it).
I was just wondering what you guys are going to do during Freshers if clubbing and drinking isn't your thing? I'm making this thread just to calm my nerves and to hopefully make myself and others realize we're not alone!

Scroll to see replies

Hi! Yeah, I'm not a drinker, partier, or clubber either haha. I struggle a bit with social situations, but I'm going to try a few non alcoholic/ non party events. There are things like pizza parties, and games nights at my uni which sound awesome. I'm hoping there might be a TV somewhere quite public to watch like University Challenge or something haha. I haven't been to many clubs over the last few years, but I'm going to try some societies (not too many) and see if I can make some friends maybe.

It's still kind of scary, but I think we'll be fine fingers crossed :smile:.
Original post by empressloz
Hey so I moved into my flat on Sunday and I started lectures yesterday. I'm a female computing student so everything is pretty intense but I'm excited to finally study something I love!
However, I'm an introvert so I'm not going out clubbing with my flat mates during Freshers (I went on the first night and hated it).
I was just wondering what you guys are going to do during Freshers if clubbing and drinking isn't your thing? I'm making this thread just to calm my nerves and to hopefully make myself and others realize we're not alone!

Try knocking on flat doors or posting on a fb group to see if others want a chilled night in if your uni doesn't offer alternate events.

All the suggestions in this thread are great...and honestly so many people feel the same way as you :smile:

Freshers week can be a bit mad....and can make it look like you're the only one who isn't partying. I know on my first night in halls I sat in my room alone (because I had been placed in the staff block) and it took me a while to find people I could enjoy uni with.

Have you tried speaking to any societies that interest you? Or you could speak to your union to see if they have any "alternative to clubbing" events or groups.

Definitely speak to your flatmates (or people in your common room) though as I'm sure they'll want to chill with you too a lot of the time :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Alisaurus Cats
All the suggestions in this thread are great...and honestly so many people feel the same way as you :smile:

Freshers week can be a bit mad....and can make it look like you're the only one who isn't partying. I know on my first night in halls I sat in my room alone (because I had been placed in the staff block) and it took me a while to find people I could enjoy uni with.

Have you tried speaking to any societies that interest you? Or you could speak to your union to see if they have any "alternative to clubbing" events or groups.

Definitely speak to your flatmates (or people in your common room) though as I'm sure they'll want to chill with you too a lot of the time :smile:

Hey :smile: I've joined some societies that don't focus on clubbing and by getting involved in non-drinking events at my university's SU, I've managed to meet a lot of people who are in the same boat!
I am actually surprised with the amount of people who don't like drinking/clubbing at university so honestly guys, YOU ARE NOT ALONE!
Let's keep this thread going to reassure many other students like us :smile:
Hello, there. :smile:
Reply 6
My cousin is not going to a uni accommodation and every freshers week event the uni holds has alcohol etc and clubbing, he doesnt like going out at night either. Any tips for her how to make friends? Also the day events are usually based for people that live in uni halls. xxx
Reply 7
I'm the same. I'd much rather have a close friend that I can just chill and chat with, I'm in my second year and I still haven't found any true friends. Don't get me wrong, there are people I can hang around with but no one's a proper friend. You just have to be lucky I guess in meeting someone you just click with. I'd suggest to go on your uni's student union website for a list of all events, they do host non alcoholic and daytime events.
same here, went out on first night - not a massive fan of clubbing or drinking. Im not sure if I'm going to go out again, maybe one more event as i bought a wristband. Like others have said, day events are a good opportunity to meet people, i've made a few like-minded friends just by going up and chatting to people at inductions and i made sure that i've chatted to my flatmates. a couple of our flatmates don't seem to be that social as i think because they moved in quite late and feel like they're too late to the group - they don't realise that the rest of us are desperate to meet them and make them feel welcome, everyones in the same boat regardless of whether they're a party animal or not, you just need to put yourself out there a bit
Reply 9
Original post by Mac.Doll
My cousin is not going to a uni accommodation and every freshers week event the uni holds has alcohol etc and clubbing, he doesnt like going out at night either. Any tips for her how to make friends? Also the day events are usually based for people that live in uni halls. xxx

Hello :smile:
That's a tricky question to answer as I think it depends on how far away they live from the uni. For context, my university has many transport links so I know a lot of people who commute to and from the uni- at one point I was considering commuting in :smile: also a lot of students live on the other side of the city so I guess they "commute" as well.
I would say the best thing for them to do is to try and make friends with people who are in their classes and if it's possible, they could sign up to a society that meets up straight after lectures etc so they can meet some more people.
A lot of students commute and not live on their university's campus, they definitely won't be alone! See if the university has a commuters society (quite a lot of universities do) so they can meet up with others in the same situation.

Hope this helps :smile:
Hello :smile:
That's a tricky question to answer as I think it depends on how far away they live from the uni. For context, my university has many transport links so I know a lot of people who commute to and from the uni- at one point I was considering commuting in :smile: also a lot of students live on the other side of the city so I guess they "commute" as well.
I would say the best thing for them to do is to try and make friends with people who are in their classes and if it's possible, they could sign up to a society that meets up straight after lectures etc so they can meet some more people.
A lot of students commute and not live on their university's campus, they definitely won't be alone! See if the university has a commuters society (quite a lot of universities do) so they can meet up with others in the same situation.

Hope this helps :smile:

She lives quite far to commute every time, it takes her 1hr by underground and there is literally no fresher event that she is able to go she checked the whole list.

I guess her best shot is making friends during her induction week where she meets her class mates etc. The problem is that she is quite shy at the start so she doesn't like approaching people until she gets comfy. xxxx
She lives quite far to commute every time, it takes her 1hr by underground and there is literally no fresher event that she is able to go she checked the whole list.

I guess her best shot is making friends during her induction week where she meets her class mates etc. The problem is that she is quite shy at the start so she doesn't like approaching people until she gets comfy. xxxx

The advice in this thread rocks :bl:

There is also an article that is based off other students' thoughts called "How to make friends at uni" if that's of any interest :smile:
Hey :smile: I've joined some societies that don't focus on clubbing and by getting involved in non-drinking events at my university's SU, I've managed to meet a lot of people who are in the same boat!
I am actually surprised with the amount of people who don't like drinking/clubbing at university so honestly guys, YOU ARE NOT ALONE!
Let's keep this thread going to reassure many other students like us :smile:

I'm really glad to hear that - what did you join? :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Alisaurus Cats
I'm really glad to hear that - what did you join? :smile:

I've joined the archery society and hockey society :smile:

Ooh cool! I'm thinking of joining archery when I start uni, especially since it was the one club I went to at school.

have you already started uni? :redface: xxx Or did you join before hand

I tried archery once and actually really enjoyed it and was better than I thought I would be. Hope you have fun!
Reply 17
have you already started uni? :redface: xxx Or did you join before hand

I started uni last week and I'm a first year student :smile:
Reply 18
I never had the chance to go to parties in the past because no one I was close friends with went to any I guess, but the gigs I've gone to I didn't really make any friends either. I love music though so it kinda annoys me that I go to concerts and festivals but not parties or clubs. Hopefully that will change

I joined some music societies though

I've decided I'll give clubbing a go during freshers this coming week (I'm studying in London which maybe isn't the best place for an introvert, but I thought that it was time to push myself out of my comfort zone). If I don't like it, I can always leave :tongue: I think I'll mostly rely upon joining societies for social stuff, but will see how it goes

Quick Reply