The Student Room Group

How do I talk to my doctor about depression

So I think I'm depressed and that seeing a doctor might be a good idea. However, I've never been to the doctor's alone before and when I had counselling a couple years ago I only had two sessions before they cancelled them because I just couldn't get any words out. I just sat there wanting to talk but I felt like my throat had closed up and I couldn't say how I felt. I'm worried this will happen at the doctor's. Any tips? Would it be weird to just hand the doctor a note when I walk in? Also, when I walk in do I just go up to the front desk and state my name or what? Can I ask for a female doctor? I'm so clueless.
There's nothing wrong with handing the doc a note with what you want to say on it. When I first saw a doctor for depression I knew I wouldn't be able to get the words out so I gave him a note and he took things from there. You should be able to specify that you want a female doctor, just make that clear when you make the appointment. Some GP surgeries have computer check in where you put your date of birth in and a couple of other details and it checks you in. If your GP does not have that then generally you just tell the receptionist your name and sit down to wait.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
So I think I'm depressed and that seeing a doctor might be a good idea. However, I've never been to the doctor's alone before and when I had counselling a couple years ago I only had two sessions before they cancelled them because I just couldn't get any words out. I just sat there wanting to talk but I felt like my throat had closed up and I couldn't say how I felt. I'm worried this will happen at the doctor's. Any tips? Would it be weird to just hand the doctor a note when I walk in? Also, when I walk in do I just go up to the front desk and state my name or what? Can I ask for a female doctor? I'm so clueless.

However you are comfortable with. I handed mine a list of my symptoms to start with and then we had a talk. Mind.org has advice on how to handle it.
As for all the technicallities of appointments, you phone to make one and you can ask for female doc if you want. When you get there you either enter your details to a screen (if your surgery has one) or go up to the desk and say "I have an appointment"- they will take it from there. You will be called in and then you can talk to them or hand them a note or whatever.

I suggest that you have a note with you even if you plan to talk to them, just incase you get nervous since it's so easy to freeze up or miss something out. They may give you a questionaire or ask you some questions so just be prepared for it as a possibility.

If you have any more questions or any problems you can ask me here or by pm. Even if you have problems after your appointment. It was rather difficult for me to get help and it was the kindness of people on here and in my life that got me through so i'm glad to have a chance to help anybody else if they need it :smile:
Reply 3
One thing I'd say, actually making the doctors appointment and showing up is a lot harder than telling the doctor themselves and talking about it.

Get yourself around making the appointment and just take it one step at a time.

Good luck with it all x
Reply 4
Oh btw I'm not making an appointment I'm going at a walk in time because it works better with my schedule

Quick Reply

Latest