The Student Room Group

JP Morgan application question

So I was wondering if anyone could advice me on what JP Morgan are looking for on the following application question:
'Please write about a recent news article that has interested you and how you feel that subject would relate to J.P. Morgan (200 words)'.

My concern is that there's 2 ways to approach this:
1) Do they want an article strictly relevant to them (i.e an M&A deal they're advising on) and showing how it demonstrates their values, ethos etc, or
2) Do they want a semi-relevant article (i.e changing banking regulations) and how that could affect JP Morgan?

My concern is that I'm unsure whether they just want to see you've got commercial awareness even if it's not directly relevant to JP Morgan and therefore can't really show JP Morgan in a positive light (no.2) or do they want to see you've researched the company and its culture (no.1)?

Thanks in advance
I think it doesn't have to be directly relevant to JP, for example maybe an article on something random like fintech. But to show your commercial awareness you have to be able to show how this would affect JPM, and how it would do this. So approach 2 but both can work, whatever you feel is better.
Reply 2
Original post by Dante991
I think it doesn't have to be directly relevant to JP, for example maybe an article on something random like fintech. But to show your commercial awareness you have to be able to show how this would affect JPM, and how it would do this. So approach 2 but both can work, whatever you feel is better.

Ah fair enough. Kind of struggling to find a decent article, trying to look for any positive stories where there's an opportunity for JPM as opposed to challenges.
Original post by Iopa
Ah fair enough. Kind of struggling to find a decent article, trying to look for any positive stories where there's an opportunity for JPM as opposed to challenges.

Took me a while to, can be completely any article but they are more interested in your understanding rather than the article I think
Reply 4
Took me a while to, can be completely any article but they are more interested in your understanding rather than the article I think

Noted.

Just for the other question (Please describe your motivation for applying to the CIB - Investment Banking program within J.P. Morgan. Please give details of any skills you have that would be relevant to this area (300 words)) I'm assuming they want the standard CL format: why me, why IB, why JPM albeit in a much shorter format?
Original post by Iopa
Noted.

Just for the other question (Please describe your motivation for applying to the CIB - Investment Banking program within J.P. Morgan. Please give details of any skills you have that would be relevant to this area (300 words)) I'm assuming they want the standard CL format: why me, why IB, why JPM albeit in a much shorter format?

Yeah thats just your general motivational question. Why XXX and why the XXX division

Understanding of the actual article or how it relates to their values etc?
Original post by Iopa
So I was wondering if anyone could advice me on what JP Morgan are looking for on the following application question:
'Please write about a recent news article that has interested you and how you feel that subject would relate to J.P. Morgan (200 words)'.

My concern is that there's 2 ways to approach this:
1) Do they want an article strictly relevant to them (i.e an M&A deal they're advising on) and showing how it demonstrates their values, ethos etc, or
2) Do they want a semi-relevant article (i.e changing banking regulations) and how that could affect JP Morgan?

My concern is that I'm unsure whether they just want to see you've got commercial awareness even if it's not directly relevant to JP Morgan and therefore can't really show JP Morgan in a positive light (no.2) or do they want to see you've researched the company and its culture (no.1)?

Thanks in advance

more the latter. they want you to find something super niche and build the necessary transmission mechanism which explains how that might impact JPM.

a random, made up example: Dimon (JPM's CEO) is in a car crash and dies suddenly (god forbid)

Dimon is an individual who brings leadership and organisation to any firm he leads => DImon's death will mean JPM misses out on this => which may lead to JPM suffering from x-inefficiencies and higher costs => hence, constraining their ability to maximise profits.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending