The Student Room Group

Am I ever good enough?

Hello,

This is a very personal issue to me throughout my time at school and GCSE's. I value my education and I put school before everything else so why do I only mediocre grades? I know some people on the forum get really upset at a anything that isn't the best but I only get average grades. For example I got a D/E in my end of year English mocks even with quite a lot of revision and effort. I'm not saying that I spend hours upon hours revising but I can never get anything above a C usually. Am I just being too harsh on myself? How much revision should I be doing for my GCSE's? Is this normal? Will I ever be one of the best in my class? Am I stressing out too much? Have you had any experiences like mine? Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I had the same issue at GCSEs, I found it was too stress, lack of interest & enthusiasm and bad teaching. You need to change your mind set, take a step bad and see where you're going wrong. 1 hour of revision can be 10x more useful if you know where you're going wrong. Being good at the course is one thing, learning the exam technique is another and most importantly appreciating the subject as a whole is the best thing
Do you pay attention in class? It's best to revise what they teach you in lessons that to just do your own things, because they won't appear in exams. Also, speak to your teachers on how to achieve your target grade.
Reply 3
My teacher said that exact same thing. What mindset should I be having with GCSE's? Sorry I know it might seem simple but I'm over thinking it and get annoyed with myself when I don't spend a long time at the weekends revising. This normally occurs. :smile:
Original post by zayn008
I had the same issue at GCSEs, I found it was too stress, lack of interest & enthusiasm and bad teaching. You need to change your mind set, take a step bad and see where you're going wrong. 1 hour of revision can be 10x more useful if you know where you're going wrong. Being good at the course is one thing, learning the exam technique is another and most importantly appreciating the subject as a whole is the best thing
Reply 4
Don't fret too much.

For subjects like Maths and Science, revision and practice are the only way.

For English it sounds like you lack exam technique. English GCSE is quite narrow really. It is a checklist and you have to demonstrate what you have 'learned'.
Reply 5
Thanks. :smile: I do this. Am I just thinking that I'm trying a lot more than I actually do?
Original post by stefano865
Don't fret too much.

For subjects like Maths and Science, revision and practice are the only way.

For English it sounds like you lack exam technique. English GCSE is quite narrow really. It is a checklist and you have to demonstrate what you have 'learned'.
Reply 6
Original post by adoodling
Hello,

This is a very personal issue to me throughout my time at school and GCSE's. I value my education and I put school before everything else so why do I only mediocre grades? I know some people on the forum get really upset at a anything that isn't the best but I only get average grades. For example I got a D/E in my end of year English mocks even with quite a lot of revision and effort. I'm not saying that I spend hours upon hours revising but I can never get anything above a C usually. Am I just being too harsh on myself? How much revision should I be doing for my GCSE's? Is this normal? Will I ever be one of the best in my class? Am I stressing out too much? Have you had any experiences like mine? Thanks.

What are your targets? Not everyone is cut out to be academic. Some people, however hard they try, will not get better grades because they are simply good at things other than school work. There are other options out there - excellent vocational courses, apprenticeships and careers that do not revolve around getting excellent grades at GCSE. Yes, it is important to give 100% but if you are already doing this and still not achieving it doesn't mean that you're failing, just that you are going to succeed on a different path. Try your hardest, put the work in, ask for extra help and be proud of yourself. C and D grades are still passes and will still allow you to go on to a successful career.
Reply 7
My teacher said that exact same thing. What mindset should I be having with GCSE's? Sorry I know it might seem simple but I'm over thinking it and get annoyed with myself when I don't spend a long time at the weekends revising. This normally occurs. :smile:

Well here you're doubting your abilities asking if you're good enough, instead you should be thinking "I can do this and this, but I struggle with this so I need to work on it" Believe in your abilities and your ability to develop new ones. You need to mentally encourage yourself because it's possible for you to get As, I don't see why not! You just need to find what's keeping you behind but YOU find and understand it and the only way you can do that is with a positive forward looking mindset that's determined to achieve the best
Reply 8
Thanks. :smile: I do this. Am I just thinking that I'm trying a lot more than I actually do?

Sounds like it.

You don't need to do extra revision every weekend. Just do any homework.

See friends and have hobbies. Just as important.

When you do revise make sure it is very targeted.
Sounds like it.

You and homework? :h:
Would have never dreamt of it! :wink:
Reply 10
Just one more question... What sets A* students apart from any other student who tries hard at school? You are literally like Jesus.
Sounds like it.

Just one more question... What sets A* students apart from any other student who tries hard at school? You are literally like Jesus.

Some people are good at learning. Some people are good at learning how to learn. Some people find that they learn from doing. Often schools fail students because they do not adequately cater for those who learn differently. The government is failing because it does not allow students who aren't capable of doing very well at GCSEs to achieve at something else. The enormous pressure that is put on schools and students these days to achieve very high grades makes people who are unable to do this feel like they are failing when in fact it is the government which is failing.
Reply 12
I don't know if I want to do a vocational course and I do enjoy what I am getting taught at school. What stragigies would you recommend to achieve higher results in English?
Original post by Clemm101
What are your targets? Not everyone is cut out to be academic. Some people, however hard they try, will not get better grades because they are simply good at things other than school work. There are other options out there - excellent vocational courses, apprenticeships and careers that do not revolve around getting excellent grades at GCSE. Yes, it is important to give 100% but if you are already doing this and still not achieving it doesn't mean that you're failing, just that you are going to succeed on a different path. Try your hardest, put the work in, ask for extra help and be proud of yourself. C and D grades are still passes and will still allow you to go on to a successful career.
Reply 13
I have tried to have a positive mindset before although I quickly get upset when I find out that it doesn't work as I get a low mark in an exam. :frown:
Original post by zayn008
Well here you're doubting your abilities asking if you're good enough, instead you should be thinking "I can do this and this, but I struggle with this so I need to work on it" Believe in your abilities and your ability to develop new ones. You need to mentally encourage yourself because it's possible for you to get As, I don't see why not! You just need to find what's keeping you behind but YOU find and understand it and the only way you can do that is with a positive forward looking mindset that's determined to achieve the best
Reply 14
I partly agree with what you have said and I believe what we should bring back more coursework for GCSE and A level subjects. This will therefore allow students are motovated but who struggle with exams do to well. Grammar schools would be good the government can introduce them back into our education system as they would cater for more academic students. The government should however have a different 11+ system which won't divide 'the best' from 'the worst' at the age of eleven.
Original post by Clemm101
Some people are good at learning. Some people are good at learning how to learn. Some people find that they learn from doing. Often schools fail students because they do not adequately cater for those who learn differently. The government is failing because it does not allow students who aren't capable of doing very well at GCSEs to achieve at something else. The enormous pressure that is put on schools and students these days to achieve very high grades makes people who are unable to do this feel like they are failing when in fact it is the government which is failing.
(edited 7 years ago)

hmm

I guess they know exactly what makes an examiner happy.

Remember that it is important to simplify when explaining things in English. Often no points for complicated language.

I think people who get A*s tend to pick up a lot in class.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Reachin4TheStars
You and homework? :h:
Would have never dreamt of it! :wink:

Too cool for school. :u:
Reply 17
The A* students are an alien species to the rest of us. :smile: Like angles in the sky. I'm quite tired so that's why I'm saying all this weird stuff.
hmm

I guess they know exactly what makes an examiner happy.

Remember that it is important to simplify when explaining things in English. Often no points for complicated language.

I think people who get A*s tend to pick up a lot in class.
I partly agree with what you have said and I believe what we should bring back more coursework for GCSE and A level subjects. This will therefore allow students are motovated but who struggle with exams do to well. Grammar schools would be good the government can introduce them back into our education system as they would cater for more academic students. The government should however have a different 11+ system which won't divide 'the best' from 'the worst' at the age of eleven.

Education really should cater for all, whether that's those who are good at exams or those who are good at vocational, more practical things. At the moment the government are so focused on those magical C grades they seem to have forgotten that people can succeed without them. I work in a very good school and the staff there work really hard to help everyone achieve the best they can, unfortunately that isn't always a C. The new progress eight measures are supposed to help with this, recognising that students are succeeding if they achieve their targets or above but this will take a while to filter through and in the meantime there's still so much hype about C grades. It is obvious, from your posts that you are capable and conscientious and the advice given by others on here is excellent - it seems very likely that you will get the grades you need. For English the most useful tip I can give you is READ. Read all the time; read everything. If you find English a bit tricky you have to immerse yourself in it - it's the only way to improve. Read examiners' reports and learn how to answer questions the way they like. Write lots of essays and ask your teachers for feedback. The help will be there if you're willing to put the effort in. :smile: Good luck with your studies!
(edited 7 years ago)
Too cool for school. :u:

Trust me mate :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest