The Student Room Group

Nottingham Medicine 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by isabella1999
I feel that. I am thinking Cambridge (if head of admissions says it is realistic, We had like 4 people go there for medicine two years ago from school so they know what is required), Nottingham, Birmingham and my fourth really depends on my UKCAT (if I do really well then Kings or Edinburgh, if not then UCL or Imperial)

wbu?

go for Cambridge! don't let anyone put you off! and i'm thinking of similar aswell. Kings, Bham, Nottingham and Manchester. I'm guessing you are doing the Bmat?
Reply 21
Original post by spiritless98
Good luck everyone! If anyone of you need any help with personal statements and interviews or just advice in general I'll be more than happy to help. (I'll be starting Nottingham Med school soon)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, congrats on getting in!
How did you find the interview (like was it very intimidating) and why did you choose to apply to Nottingham? :smile:
Reply 22
Oooh how was the summer school? What college did you stay in? I wanted to go on one but didn't meet conditions for Sutton or UniQ and didn't want to pay 3500 aha as just went on GapMedics :frown: that's a good sign! Yeah it's all been a mess really! After reading your response I am really reconsidering my life choices aha. I will only apply to Edinburgh I think if I really ace my UKCAT (750+) as otherwise it's too risky and I will just apply to unis that suit my strengths more like Birmingham. Nottingham is beautiful though and good for my strengths I think (with the scoring system) so hopefully it's a good choice for us aha

It was great, and I was at Selwyn :smile:
Yeah Nottingham seems pretty good for me too! It's just so scary how quickly we've got to apply now!
Original post by medic99
go for Cambridge! don't let anyone put you off! and i'm thinking of similar aswell. Kings, Bham, Nottingham and Manchester. I'm guessing you are doing the Bmat?

Aha thanks for the motivation :wink: ooo, and yeah joys, I think I will find it a bit better than the UKCAT though as you can properly revise for it aha
Original post by Zedna
It was great, and I was at Selwyn :smile:
Yeah Nottingham seems pretty good for me too! It's just so scary how quickly we've got to apply now!

Oh nice! :smile: And it really is, literally less than a month oh my days
Reply 25
Oh nice! :smile: And it really is, literally less than a month oh my days

It's just ridiculous how much more stressful and complicated applying for Medicine is than almost anything else!!
But hopefully it will be worth it :smile:
Okay woo my final score is 43, UKCAT over and done with :smile:
Hey guys!Haven't been on the forums for a while but thought I'd show my face again!I'm currently at Nottingham med school, going into my third year.

Feel free to ask me any questions!
Reply 28
Original post by unknownone
Hey guys!Haven't been on the forums for a while but thought I'd show my face again!I'm currently at Nottingham med school, going into my third year.

Feel free to ask me any questions!

Hi,
What has your experience at Nottingham been like? Do you think the teaching, facilities, student experience etc has been good?
Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zedna
Hi,
What has your experience at Nottingham been like? Do you think the teaching, facilities, student experience etc has been good?
Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

My overall experience has been good.
It's difficult to say how it compares to other medical schools, ofcourse, but I enjoy it and I believe others in my year do too.

Something I will mention is that I've been struggling to concentrate in lectures. But rather than that being a fault of the staff, I think it's more me being a bit useless at learning through lectures haha. Luckily most lectures are recorded and put online, along with the slides etc so I've actually been doing a lot of my learning over the last year without attending all lectures.

The vast majority of students I know have found the experience of lectures fine though! So don't let me discourage you.

I loved the full body dissection, being so hands on and seeing everything as it is in the human body really helped my understanding and learning. Anatomy involves a huge volume of things to remember and I'd definitely say the full body dissection really helped.

The facilities overall are fairly decent. I can't really compare to any other medical school because I didn't look round many haha.

Student experience is great. Lots of societies to join, both medsoc societies and general uni societies are great.

Feel free to ask me any specific questions, a lot easier to answer when they're specific :P
Reply 30
Is 38 enough? With cut offs for ukcat going down?
Reply 31
I got 650 in my ukcat which is a bit rubbish and i got 4a*s 3As and 2Bs at gcse. Do you think I will have a chance with getting into nottingham?
Is 34 /46 not likely to get an interview?
Reply 33
Hi unknownone! :biggrin:

Thanks for letting us know about your experience. I'm an international student and also thinking of applying to Nottingham, and I have a few questions.

How is the university campus (overall and medicine) and city for students? What sort of opportunities available in the city?

How is the accommodation? How close is it to the medical campus and teaching hospitals?

Tell me more about the teaching hospitals :smile:

What sort of learning techniques does Nottingham use (other than full-body dissections)?

All help would be appreciated! :smile:

Original post by medic99

Original post by unknownone
My overall experience has been good.
It's difficult to say how it compares to other medical schools, ofcourse, but I enjoy it and I believe others in my year do too.

Something I will mention is that I've been struggling to concentrate in lectures. But rather than that being a fault of the staff, I think it's more me being a bit useless at learning through lectures haha. Luckily most lectures are recorded and put online, along with the slides etc so I've actually been doing a lot of my learning over the last year without attending all lectures.

The vast majority of students I know have found the experience of lectures fine though! So don't let me discourage you.

I loved the full body dissection, being so hands on and seeing everything as it is in the human body really helped my understanding and learning. Anatomy involves a huge volume of things to remember and I'd definitely say the full body dissection really helped.

The facilities overall are fairly decent. I can't really compare to any other medical school because I didn't look round many haha.

Student experience is great. Lots of societies to join, both medsoc societies and general uni societies are great.

Feel free to ask me any specific questions, a lot easier to answer when they're specific :P
Reply 34
Is 41/46 too low to be competitive?

I have 16/1/6 academic points and 25/30 UKCAT.
Is 38/46 okay to apply or is it too low?? Please be honest. Its not going to be my first choice so im okay with yu tellin me its too low
Reply 36
Original post by Kantth1
Is 38/46 okay to apply or is it too low?? Please be honest. Its not going to be my first choice so im okay with yu tellin me its too low

Last year's Home/EU score to get to the second sift where they examine your PS was 46/55. Assuming the lower end cut off included an average UKCAT score in the range 601-700, then this year's equivalent would be 39/46 because UKCAT has one less marked component. So a score of 38 will be borderline for second sift dependent on how many apply and with which grades and UKCAT scores.

If it is enough to get to second sift then you need a strong PS to drag you into the top 50% of the candidates who got this far (the PS score is added to your academic score to give an overall total). Last year the lowest scoring people getting to second sift needed to score 10 out of 16 on their PS to get an interview.

Hope that helps
Original post by meddad
Last year's Home/EU score to get to the second sift where they examine your PS was 46/55. Assuming the lower end cut off included an average UKCAT score in the range 601-700, then this year's equivalent would be 39/46 because UKCAT has one less marked component. So a score of 38 will be borderline for second sift dependent on how many apply and with which grades and UKCAT scores.

If it is enough to get to second sift then you need a strong PS to drag you into the top 50% of the candidates who got this far (the PS score is added to your academic score to give an overall total). Last year the lowest scoring people getting to second sift needed to score 10 out of 16 on their PS to get an interview.

Hope that helps

Thank you so much for your help. Really appreciate it 😎👍🏿👍🏿
Hey Guys, I've just read the criteria for selection at Nottingham and its really stressing me out!!

At GCSE, I got 5A*s and 9As but at AS i got 2 Cs but I got As in all units but 2 so I am resitting these.

Doing my UKCAT on Thursday, another thing, how do you do a mock test for your UKCAT and getting the scores out of 900 instead of just a percent?
Original post by polly.holden9
Hey Guys, I've just read the criteria for selection at Nottingham and its really stressing me out!!

At GCSE, I got 5A*s and 9As but at AS i got 2 Cs but I got As in all units but 2 so I am resitting these.

Doing my UKCAT on Thursday, another thing, how do you do a mock test for your UKCAT and getting the scores out of 900 instead of just a percent?

Hi, you can use this table to convert your score. Bear in mind, it is not how the official test scores are formed but an estimation to give you an idea of where you stand. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=240656&d=1377707838
If you have the Kaplan or ISC workbook, you can refer to their conversion tables. Good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending