The Student Room Group

What the hell is going on?

So I've just started my college course, fair enough, but at the enrolment they said I wouldn't have to take a year of gcse/functional due to having functional skills level 2 already (I don't know why I did it in year 11 I just did I'm was with AQA) But now they're saying I have to do it because I got a D in my GCSE English language, I feel a bit confused since once I'm getting told this, the next that, the English language was a 1/2 certificate which is really confusing since why the hell wasn't I put on a normal English Foundation paper. I don't want to take another year of this toss when I already have something that is equivalent to what I need, they said I'd just have to resit in November, but now I've gotta do the whole bloody year. Am I in the wrong or are they?
Everyone needs to get a C or above in English Language and Maths, if you havent you need to resit it.
Reply 2
Yes, but I was told I could resit in november without taking the course for the bloody whole year at the start
Reply 3
The college are saying that they don't think you'll be capable of getting a C in November and that you need the additional time to polish your skills. I don't know why your school would put you in for Functional Skills rather than a GCSE or IGCSE - most don't do this. It may be that the college have assessed your English skill since you started and decided that to be sure you achieve your C you will need those additional months.

If you are confident that you would be capable of achieving a C in November push to do it but honestly it is a bit of a step up from Functional Skills to GCSE and you might be better off studying for the summer exams.
Reply 4
Original post by Clemm101
The college are saying that they don't think you'll be capable of getting a C in November and that you need the additional time to polish your skills. I don't know why your school would put you in for Functional Skills rather than a GCSE or IGCSE - most don't do this. It may be that the college have assessed your English skill since you started and decided that to be sure you achieve your C you will need those additional months.

If you are confident that you would be capable of achieving a C in November push to do it but honestly it is a bit of a step up from Functional Skills to GCSE and you might be better off studying for the summer exams.

By the way they are right that it is only the equivalent to half a GCSE.

Quick Reply

Latest