The Student Room Group

What uni to go to?

I have recently finished my A2s and got good enough grades to get into my first and second choice university. I was meant to start studying at university this year but i freaked out and now I am going to go next year instead.

I am not too sure what to do now. I love my first choice university the course is great, the accommodation is a decent size and everyone seems friendly. The only problem is that its far away from home and its awkward to get to unless by car (its and hour and a half by car but 3 hours by train). I get very home sick and even thinking about how far away i will be freaks me out and I am worried if i do push myself to go next year i wont like it and i will drop out.

I was thinking maybe i should go to my second choice university as its a lot closer and easy to get to. I also think the course is really good. The only downfalls is that the accommodation is really small and it didn't seem to have the same atmosphere as my first choice.

I don't know what to do. i don't know if i should risk going to my first choice or play it safe?

(sorry this is really long)
You don't have to live in uni accommodation. So where one of your concerns is the accommodation, there's nothing to stop you looking into student accommodation that isn't uni owned.
Reply 2
Original post by Tiger Rag
You don't have to live in uni accommodation. So where one of your concerns is the accommodation, there's nothing to stop you looking into student accommodation that isn't uni owned.

I would rather live in halls as i struggle to make friends anyway but i think in halls it would be easier as everyone is together and in the same position.
Original post by Vickyc16xx
I have recently finished my A2s and got good enough grades to get into my first and second choice university. I was meant to start studying at university this year but i freaked out and now I am going to go next year instead.

I am not too sure what to do now. I love my first choice university the course is great, the accommodation is a decent size and everyone seems friendly. The only problem is that its far away from home and its awkward to get to unless by car (its and hour and a half by car but 3 hours by train). I get very home sick and even thinking about how far away i will be freaks me out and I am worried if i do push myself to go next year i wont like it and i will drop out.

I was thinking maybe i should go to my second choice university as its a lot closer and easy to get to. I also think the course is really good. The only downfalls is that the accommodation is really small and it didn't seem to have the same atmosphere as my first choice.

I don't know what to do. i don't know if i should risk going to my first choice or play it safe?

I think you should bite the bullet and go to your first choice university. You have to move out at some point, so take the next year to build your confidence and independence so that by next September rolls around,you're ready.

Although, if you want your first choice you should call them up and say rather than cancel your application, ask if you can just defer the year. That way it takes the pressure off applying next year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Three hours is not a long time.

Also, if you want to go to your second choice university you will have to reapply.
Reply 5
Original post by mizzsnazzter
I think you should bite the bullet and go to your first choice university. You have to move out at some point, so take the next year to build your confidence and independence so that by next September rolls around,you're ready.

Although, if you want your first choice you should call them up and say rather than cancel your application, ask if you can just defer the year. That way it takes the pressure off applying next year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for the help :smile: i think i just need to man up and do it instead of worrying about every little detail.
Reply 6
Original post by ageshallnot
Three hours is not a long time.

Also, if you want to go to your second choice university you will have to reapply.

I know but i was hoping because they already accepted me before that they might do the same the second time round.
I know but i was hoping because they already accepted me before that they might do the same the second time round.

Not necessarily. Especially as you don't look committed because you rejected them this year. Your best bet is to call and ask if you can defer your place

Posted from TSR Mobile

They probably won't even remember that they made you an offer or that you ultimately rejected it.
Go to your first choice; you're gonna have to live independently sometime. Or are you just gonna live with your parents forever?
Reply 10
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Go to your first choice; you're gonna have to live independently sometime. Or are you just gonna live with your parents forever?

The issue is not living on my own and being independent. the issue is being far away from home a not not being able to pop in and see my family and boyfriend when ever I want.
The issue is not living on my own and being independent. the issue is being far away from home a not not being able to pop in and see my family and boyfriend when ever I want.

I think you should bite the bullet and embrace living on your own. If not now, when?

Being homesick is natural, but being on your own is important for self-development.
They probably won't even remember that they made you an offer or that you ultimately rejected it.

Yes they will - it will be clear from UCAS

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are records kept on that? @PQ
Are records kept on that? @PQ

It depends on the systems used by a university. Where I work our system flags up any reapplicants - but not because it's viewed negatively.
Reply 15

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perhaps, but universities don't bear a grudge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PQ
It depends on the systems used by a university. Where I work our system flags up any reapplicants - but not because it's viewed negatively.

Ok, thanks. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending