The Student Room Group

Teach First 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hi everyone! I received an offer on Monday to teach secondary level English for the 2017 cohort. My assessment centre was on the 29th of July, is anyone else here from that date? I'm interested to see if anyone I was chatting to also got through!

I'm just doing my CKA now, and it's a case of doing a little at a time. I've even had to pull up some old KS3 revision tools!

Has anyone else looked into the numeracy/literacy tests? Mine are booked for the 16th of August. I've done a couple of online practice papers and I'm confident about the literacy side of things, but my numeracy is really worrying me. I haven't done any of this stuff for years! I've even borrowed some old SATS revision books from my neighbors!
Original post by gotbeff
Hi everyone! I received an offer on Monday to teach secondary level English for the 2017 cohort. My assessment centre was on the 29th of July, is anyone else here from that date? I'm interested to see if anyone I was chatting to also got through!

I'm just doing my CKA now, and it's a case of doing a little at a time. I've even had to pull up some old KS3 revision tools!

Has anyone else looked into the numeracy/literacy tests? Mine are booked for the 16th of August. I've done a couple of online practice papers and I'm confident about the literacy side of things, but my numeracy is really worrying me. I haven't done any of this stuff for years! I've even borrowed some old SATS revision books from my neighbors!

Hello! The QTS tests were actually alright. They were more challenging than I thought they would be originally, but less challenging than I thought they would be after watching some guidance videos on YouTube - if that makes any sense! If you know the format of the tests and the sort of questions they ask, you'll be alright. Practice definitely makes perfect, so if you can do any practice ones before the day of your tests then that might help you too.

I didn't revise for the Literacy one, but for the Numeracy test, I found a useful guidance video on YouTube - as I said, the questions she goes through on here seem more difficult than what was actually asked in the test, but it's a good way to see how much time you'll have in the first section and the sort of thing you might be expected to do.

Best of luck for them :smile: and congratulations on your offer!
Reply 42
Hello, I've got an assessment day in September. Please could somebody tell me what time the assessment day finishes? Thank you!
Reply 43
Original post by leannesagoodman
Woooooo! Excellent, congratulations! What will you be teaching? :smile:

Hi Leanne, I will be teaching secondary English :smile:

Have you also received an email from Teach First about their new LDP and 2-year PGDE? I am slightly anxious about these changes that I did not sign up for, but I don't know what to think yet.
Reply 44
What does everyone think about the 2017 changes? I applied to Teach First under the impression that I would receive a PGCE etc and now it has all changed for the 2017 cohort...will this affect our pay too? Slightly concerned about this
I received my offer to teach secondary RE last week. I am over the moon and can't wait to start! (It sucks that I have one more year of uni left..)*
In regards to the changes to the PGDE and pay, I had a look on the website and they have updated the info to include the PGDE and it still states that LDP participants will receive NQT salary in their 2nd year. Obviously, this isn't conclusive information but it would be odd for them to change the website for one thing and not another.

<https://graduates.teachfirst.org.uk/leadership-development-programme/salary-benefits>*
Hi everyone,

I have my assessment centre this Friday (23rd September) and wondered if anyone had any advice or tips for each of the three stages of the day? Would appreciate any help!

Thanks,
Jennie
Reply 47
Anybody at the AC on the 22nd?
Reply 48
Yes - I have my AC on the 22nd too! Very nervous/excited!I wasn't able to reschedule my call with my graduate recruiter and shes busy at a conference all day now - do you think I can just call their general number and speak to any recruiter?Hows your prep going? These threads seem really useful - and the format of the AC seems to have been very similar for years. I'm going for Primary :smile:
Reply 49
Original post by tangy55
Yes - I have my AC on the 22nd too! Very nervous/excited!I wasn't able to reschedule my call with my graduate recruiter and shes busy at a conference all day now - do you think I can just call their general number and speak to any recruiter?Hows your prep going? These threads seem really useful - and the format of the AC seems to have been very similar for years. I'm going for Primary :smile:

Hey Im going for primary too :smile: - I'm SUPER NERVOUS!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
I guess you can try to call anyway, I'll have my call tomorrow...
I'm coming to TF as a 'career changer' so not really sure how it works with recruiter....
Reply 50
Oh great, I'm a career changer too!

I was just assigned a particular TF recruiter (sorry not graduate!) from when I signed up for my application, but yeah will give them a call.

I'm most nervous about the lesson... Eek
For the interview, are there any other questions people advise to prepare for besides the 8 competencies?
Reply 52
Hi everyone.
I was accepted to Teach Secondary History in June. For those of you worrying about A Levels, don't be. I have no A Levels, but a Undergraduate degree, and I'm half way through my Masters. Not having A Levels is not an immediate rejection, but it does mean you have to really demonstrate your abilities to make up for that.
Good luck to all of you. 😊
Hi guys

I'm due to attend the assessment centre on the 3rd October. Not my first rodeo as I attended the assessment centre earlier this year and didn't get in - I was struggling with severe depression at the time (shouldn't have gone - but I'm stubborn my to my own detriment!).

RE is my first choice. The question I wanted to ask really is how anyone else planned and presented their RE lesson? That's the bit I most want to nail. I would be especially interested to hear back from people who have presented RE and been successful at the AC.

Cheers!
Hi, does anyone know where the assessment centres are located? like, are they dotted throughout the country or all they all based in London.
Original post by thetasteofapples
Hi, does anyone know where the assessment centres are located? like, are they dotted throughout the country or all they all based in London.

As far as I know, they're in London.
Reply 56
Hi guys I had my assessment on Thursday, and I haven't heard back yet but several others who attended on the same day Have had offers.

My question is, I know that they say 7 days but when did everyone here actually get their offers??

Do they send out the successful responses first?
Reply 57
Original post by thetasteofapples

I believe it is just in North Greenwich by the 02
Reply 58
I got mine the next day, but some got them a few days later.

QUOTE=NLP123;67723578]Hi guys I had my assessment on Thursday, and I haven't heard back yet but several others who attended on the same day Have had offers.

My question is, I know that they say 7 days but when did everyone here actually get their offers??

Do they send out the successful responses first?
Reply 59
Original post by SarahGrace92
I received my offer to teach secondary RE last week. I am over the moon and can't wait to start! (It sucks that I have one more year of uni left..)*
In regards to the changes to the PGDE and pay, I had a look on the website and they have updated the info to include the PGDE and it still states that LDP participants will receive NQT salary in their 2nd year. Obviously, this isn't conclusive information but it would be odd for them to change the website for one thing and not another.

<https://graduates.teachfirst.org.uk/leadership-development-programme/salary-benefits>*

On this matter, I got in touch with my graduate recruiter officer and she confirmed that we get QTS after year 1 so we still get the pay bump in year 2.

Quick Reply

Latest