The Student Room Group

CSR/1320/16 - Higher Officer Caseworkers (Tax Professional and Operational Delivery)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vereor
You need to talk to your manager and check they are happy for you apply.

Then you need to log in to the portal and tick the box that says 'I am a current civil servant'
add your work email address and your managers work email address

Then when the email comes through at work click confirm.
:smile:

You need to make sure your CS Jobs account is "verified".
You'll be sent an email to click the email verification and you'll then see all vacancies - internal and external.

You don't need permission to apply for "external" vacancies - that would be contrary to the CS Commission "fair and open competition rules".

For internal vacancies you might need to discuss with your manager before applying - depending where you work in the Civil Service - but you cannot be prevented from applying for promotion or being released to accept an offer of promotion.
Original post by Smithy29
You need to make sure your CS Jobs account is "verified".
You'll be sent an email to click the email verification and you'll then see all vacancies - internal and external.

You don't need permission to apply for "external" vacancies - that would be contrary to the CS Commission "fair and open competition rules".

For internal vacancies you might need to discuss with your manager before applying - depending where you work in the Civil Service - but you cannot be prevented from applying for promotion or being released to accept an offer of promotion.

You are prevented from applying for promotion if you are undergoing any formal performance/attendance management procedures. You have to answer these questions when applying. An email goes to your manager when you apply asking if you are going through any of these procedures and your manager can withdraw your application if you are and you declared that you aren't.

But yeah apart from that, you can apply for anything on promotion providing you meet the eligibility requirements.
Original post by pukahontas
You are prevented from applying for promotion if you are undergoing any formal performance/attendance management procedures. You have to answer these questions when applying. An email goes to your manager when you apply asking if you are going through any of these procedures and your manager can withdraw your application if you are and you declared that you aren't.

But yeah apart from that, you can apply for anything on promotion providing you meet the eligibility requirements.

A Civil Service manager can't prevent anyone applying for an external vacancy and shouldn't even be notified by CSR. They might get an email to confirm someone is an existing employee if they've declared that on their application, but that's as far as it goes.

If someone was stopped because of an illness, health condition/disability (that resulted in attendance management) that would be a clear case of discrimination.

Performance appraisals (and performance management) do not prevent someone applying for other positions.

There are a lot of myths surrounding this, and doubtless bad practice by individual managers which really gives the Service a bad name.
Has anyone heard anything from Manpower yet? I just got an email asking me to accept the position by email which I did on Friday, but haven't heard anything since.
Original post by DeltaGuy
Has anyone heard anything from Manpower yet? I just got an email asking me to accept the position by email which I did on Friday, but haven't heard anything since.

I haven't heard yet either after that email
Original post by Smithy29
A Civil Service manager can't prevent anyone applying for an external vacancy and shouldn't even be notified by CSR. They might get an email to confirm someone is an existing employee if they've declared that on their application, but that's as far as it goes.

If someone was stopped because of an illness, health condition/disability (that resulted in attendance management) that would be a clear case of discrimination.

Performance appraisals (and performance management) do not prevent someone applying for other positions.

There are a lot of myths surrounding this, and doubtless bad practice by individual managers which really gives the Service a bad name.

I'm specifically speaking about applying for positions on promotion.

It's clearly stated in the HR guidance on the intranet that you cannot apply for positions on promotion if you are undergoing formal disciplinary procedures for attendance or performance.

Even if you applied for a position on promotion that is advertised at stage 4/external you are still classed as an internal applicant. You're playing a dangerous game if you're undergoing such procedures and are offered a position on promotion because whilst your own manager may never receive any notification that you applied they will eventually be notified as part of the process in transferring staff between departments. If applying to move to another government department there is also an issue as to whether that department would accept you if you're undergoing formal procedures.

There was a similar issue with somebody in this situation in a different thread with lots of comments telling that person not to worry and that a stage one disciplinary is 'just a slap on the wrists'. It isn't, it's a serious matter and because of that you're 'punished' by being prevented from applying for promotion.

Every single internal job advert on CS jobs asks if you're undergoing these procedures and if you select yes your application is automatically rejected.

In terms of health conditions, disabilities etc each case is judged on its own merits. It is upto the manager to look at a persons sickness absences and judge whether formal procedures need to be put in place.

This is from a job advert I picked at random and clicked on apply now:

(edited 7 years ago)
I'm in the same position as you guys. Which locations have you applied to in order of preference.
I applied for Birmingham on the last campaign in June. Got my Provisional Offer and waiting for the security checks to be completed. No Emails received after the acceptance of the offer....so just a waiting game at the moment....

sort of awkward when I have to tell them in office I don't have a start date yet....I think the whole office knows im heading towards a HO role lol
I have selected Belfast as my first and only preference. Applied in June past as well.
Has anyone got a contact telephone number for the right people to speak to at the ManPower?
I wonder if we'll get the sift results on Friday (for the internal vacancy)
Original post by kimmyknx
Has anyone got a contact telephone number for the right people to speak to at the ManPower?

Nope just an email, I did email but I've had not response within their 2 day timescale so I'm gonna send another if we don't hear anything tommorrow.
Original post by Filedundermisc
I wonder if we'll get the sift results on Friday (for the internal vacancy)

I tried calling the enforcement and compliance recruitment line(0300 123 1896)today ,No answer.
Ill try again tomorrow. HMRC should have updated csjobs today for the results to be available on Friday.
Original post by Be Lucky
I tried calling the enforcement and compliance recruitment line(0300 123 1896)today ,No answer.
Ill try again tomorrow. HMRC should have updated csjobs today for the results to be available on Friday.

Exciting!
Which results? Don't we all know the results of the interview?
Original post by Waki7866
Which results? Don't we all know the results of the interview?

Sorry, for a newer campaign
Original post by Filedundermisc
Exciting!

Contacted the recruitment line and the person i spoke with confirmed everything is on schedule for results to be out on Friday.
Fingers crossed for alll who apllied.
Which results are we expecting?the interview pr the security checks?
Original post by Be Lucky
Contacted the recruitment line and the person i spoke with confirmed everything is on schedule for results to be out on Friday.
Fingers crossed for alll who apllied.

Sorry is this the new external HO campaign via manpower that went live on the 23rd? I was under the impression this was open till Oct 3rd. Could you clarify?
So much for manpower being efficient. I haven't even heard anything from them yet!

Quick Reply