The Student Room Group

University of Oxford Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jazz_xox_
Can I just ask how many AS and A-Levels you all got? I'm only doing 3 but since the reformed exams and since the government has stopped making a 4th A-Level compulsory, do you think it's okay to do this?

I did 3, but i'm an international student so idk if that helps
Can I just ask how many AS and A-Levels you all got? I'm only doing 3 but since the reformed exams and since the government has stopped making a 4th A-Level compulsory, do you think it's okay to do this?

I did 3 full A levels but I have a few other AS levels (my offer was AAA though so 3 A levels should be fine) :smile:

if i were you i would do 4 full a levels, but make sure they are all relevant to what you want to do, or two of them are very similar (e.g. maths/further maths; two languages; etc) so you arent overwhelmed.
Original post by ArtyQuell
SNAP!
I'm so pleased to see a fellow Teddy studying the same subject!

same! how are you finding the reading list??
Original post by cattubato
if i were you i would do 4 full a levels, but make sure they are all relevant to what you want to do, or two of them are very similar (e.g. maths/further maths; two languages; etc) so you arent overwhelmed.

my sixth form doesn't offer 4 full A-Levels :frown: only 4 subjects up until AS, and since this isn't a requirement for unis anymore, I'm just going to do 3 I think. The subjects available to me for AS are the ones I really dislike so I don't think this would be the best thing for me to do - I'd rather concentrate on 3
Original post by fuller2718
Hi! I'm really excited to start my maths degree at Pembroke in October. Are there any other Pembrokians here?

me!
Reply 46
Hey, I'm going to St Catz. Does anyone know if the college gym charges for membership? If so, I only need basic equipment such as a pull up bar and dip station (this could well be a tree branch as long as its the right strength and thickness). Does anyone know if these are easily available? Cheers
Original post by Sam1007
Ah ok cheers. Does the gym membership cost anything? or is it provided by the college?

There's an induction session which costs (I think) £3. But after that, it's free.

Gavin
Original post by thisisaleaf
same! how are you finding the reading list??

The reading list is quite a beast is it not? The 'Seeing Through Language' book is proving to be a slog and a half at present, but I am very much enjoying the challenge - though looking at it now, they did just have to pick three of the more uncommon Dickens novels just to make sure that you had never read them didn't they? XD
Loving The Dream of the Rood and The Wanderer work, though naturally the online book would be easier to navigate if I took German instead of Spanish at A Level, but any language is better than none in this case.
How are you finding the list? Any surprises for you?
Original post by esmewilson
me!

Nice, see you in October! What subject are you reading?
Reply 50
Any medics? I'm at st hilda's
Right, time to try and breathe some life into this lil' chat - with less than two weeks to go before the big push, how is everyone feeling?! Everyone been to see their accommodation - and noted how tiny the kitchenettes are? And has anyone else bought their sub fusc gown and snazzy hat? :biggrin:
Right, time to try and breathe some life into this lil' chat - with less than two weeks to go before the big push, how is everyone feeling?! Everyone been to see their accommodation - and noted how tiny the kitchenettes are? And has anyone else bought their sub fusc gown and snazzy hat? :biggrin:

I'm really looking forward to it, I actually go up on Monday for the MPLS bridging program (is anyone else going on that?). I've got my subfusc sorted, but I don't know what accommodation I've got as we don't seem to find out until we arrive... if I get a kitchen then from what I've seen they are pretty big though!
Original post by Headingtonian
I'm really looking forward to it, I actually go up on Monday for the MPLS bridging program (is anyone else going on that?). I've got my subfusc sorted, but I don't know what accommodation I've got as we don't seem to find out until we arrive... if I get a kitchen then from what I've seen they are pretty big though!

Me too - I can't wait! Though I don't go up until the 4th.. I feel like I am in academic purgatory - I need sustenance and something new!
I have never actually heard of the MPLS program ... care to elaborate? :smile:
Oh god, getting sub fusc was so odd, but on the bright side the hat (I find) is super comfy (though we won't get to wear it any time soon). :P
Which college you attending?
Me too - I can't wait! Though I don't go up until the 4th.. I feel like I am in academic purgatory - I need sustenance and something new!
I have never actually heard of the MPLS program ... care to elaborate? :smile:
Oh god, getting sub fusc was so odd, but on the bright side the hat (I find) is super comfy (though we won't get to wear it any time soon). :P
Which college you attending?

I'm going to Worcester, how about you? The MPLS thing is a week where we go and have lectures and tutorials and stuff as a bit like a rehearsal for actually starting to make the transition easier, i think thats what it is at least! :smile: Its only for physical scientists though. Have you not been given any work to do now? I've been set (earth Sciences) some online chemistry, physics and maths and then also have been sent the maths problem sheets for the term, with one that we are supposed to complete now! I thought we could wear the square (hat) outdoors, just not indoors? What subject are you doing?
wait when are you guys reaching Oxford ? I'm an international student and i don't think i will make it before the 2nd. I thought freshers was on the 3rd ?
Original post by rohan.nuck
wait when are you guys reaching Oxford ? I'm an international student and i don't think i will make it before the 2nd. I thought freshers was on the 3rd ?

Freshers date depends on your college so for Worcester we are supposed to arrive on the 4th, but I have this extra week thing (26th) and after that I go home (1st) and then come back to Oxford on the 4th. I got sent a timetable with moving in dates and stuff, though it was more flexible for international students.
Freshers date depends on your college so for Worcester we are supposed to arrive on the 4th, but I have this extra week thing (26th) and after that I go home (1st) and then come back to Oxford on the 4th. I got sent a timetable with moving in dates and stuff, though it was more flexible for international students.

Oh i remember getting a letter about a bridging program now. I should have signed up for that at the time. I'm so looking forward to being there and i'm already sad that it's only going to be for 8 weeks ! xD
I'm going to Worcester, how about you? The MPLS thing is a week where we go and have lectures and tutorials and stuff as a bit like a rehearsal for actually starting to make the transition easier, i think thats what it is at least! :smile: Its only for physical scientists though. Have you not been given any work to do now? I've been set (earth Sciences) some online chemistry, physics and maths and then also have been sent the maths problem sheets for the term, with one that we are supposed to complete now! I thought we could wear the square (hat) outdoors, just not indoors? What subject are you doing?

St Edmund Hall over here, for English. :smile:
Now that sounds like a nice system; you get a flavour of the experience and then have a "relaxing" week of Freshers.
Oh yes, a big book list and two Old English poetry translations. Heavy, but a welcome distraction to a certain amount of tedium. So wait, you were sent ALL of your maths problem sheets? Hopefully that isn't a hint/poke for you to complete them all before you start. XD
Ahhhhhhh gotcha, that makes me feel better - my friend told me that it was 1) not the done thing to wear them at all until graduation/exams and 2) that it was bad luck to do so - not that a superstition stopped me wearing it at home whilst studying.. :P

Finally, another college with people arriving on the 4th! All other colleges that I have encountered have students moving in on the 2nd or 3rd! XD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending