The Student Room Group

M1 Help

Feeling like I'm being really dumb about this question but if anyone could help to point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it :smile: ImageUploadedByStudent Room1474543910.673187.jpg

Need to work out the forces of P and Q. Thank you in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by unrealistic
Feeling like I'm being really dumb about this question but if anyone could help to point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it :smile: ImageUploadedByStudent Room1474543910.673187.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Other than the diagram most of the question is missing so at a guess......
Resolve the P and Q forces vertically and horizontally (parallel and perpendicular to the 9N)
Form and solve simultaneous equations for the forces that are in equilibrium

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Don't feel dumb, I'm not sure how to do it either. I haven't actually stared M1 yet but I have done AS Physics. I think P and Q should just share the 9N proportional (or maybe inversely proportional) to their angles so I'd just do 9*(25/60) for P and 9*(35/60) for Q. Hope that helped a little :smile:
Original post by unrealistic
Feeling like I'm being really dumb about this question but if anyone could help to point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Assuming the particle is in equilibrium (ie not moving):

Pcos(65)=Qcos(55)P\cos(65)=Q\cos(55)

and

Psin(65)+Qsin(55)=9P\sin(65)+Q\sin(55) = 9

Two unknowns, two equations. Simultaneous equations to solve.

Here is a diagram to make it clear where it came from, if you know your trigonometry, you can use angles of 25 and 35 directly but from the diagram it is easier to see how vertical and horizontal forces balance so I'm using those. Still gets the right answer so don't worry.

FORCE.PNG
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending