The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

im going to my first private lesson for mat tonight, apart from just going over MAT questions, should I be asking anything in particular in order to get the most value out of my money?
Original post by KloppOClock
should I be asking anything in particular in order to get the most value out of my money?

Yep! "When can I quit?" - there's no substitute for getting better at MAT than just working at it. A private lesson is going to be a waste of money in my opinion, but each to his own...
Original post by Zacken
Yep! "When can I quit?" - there's no substitute for getting better at MAT than just working at it. A private lesson is going to be a waste of money in my opinion, but each to his own...

m8 im failing atm
Original post by Non-Euclidean
Ahh fair, are you getting help from your college? I'm all alone haha! I would recommend originally going through without to much emphasis on time making sure you understand as much as you can and appreciate what's going on- i find if i rush through i generally dont realise what they want you to see! I am exactly the same with preference to logic haha!
As for 1 H, assuming you know the formulae for the trapizium rule, if not you'll need to learn it! Write it out with the subinterval terms and try to form a partial geometric sequence and use the sum formula to evaluate it, you should be able to simplify using index laws and obtain one of the answers.
If you still get stuck let me know and i'll try and explain more explicitly but, would recommend trying to do it yourself to start with, hope i helped :smile:

I'm not doing it entirely alone - I've got a maths teacher who's willing to help with questions and the like - but I'm the first person to apply to Oxford in my school (definitely for maths, and possibly ever). It makes forums like this pretty damn useful!
I sat the 2011 paper today, without as much emphasis on time - I was still within time, but not ridiculously so. Handwriting's better as well :tongue:. I haven't had time to mark it properly yet, but having a skim through the marking scheme it seems I've done well on it. Logic questions aren't too difficult, but they can be pretty annoying with the sheer amount of writing you've got to do.
So I think I've got 1H, thanks to your explanation, trying it out and looking over the marking scheme. By the looks of it, I might also be able to try it with a single trapezium (which would be of area 3/2), then sub N=1 into each option. That's perhaps cheesing it, though, and I don't want to rely on it in case it's not multiple choice.
Untitled.png

i tried geometric series, wot i do
Reply 125
Untitled.png

i tried geometric series, wot i do

Not sure what you're asking. Yes it is a geometric series, and that term is its sum.
Original post by RichE
Not sure what you're asking. Yes it is a geometric series, and that term is its sum.

how is it a geometric series, it doesnt have a common ratio
how is it a geometric series, it doesnt have a common ratio

1 + 4 + 4^2 + 4^3 + ... + 4^(k-1)

common ratio of 4
Original post by Zacken
1 + 4 + 4^2 + 4^3 + ... + 4^(k-1)

common ratio of 4

but when you apply f1(x) the first three terms are
4x+1
16x+5
64x+21

how does the common ratio of 4 apply there
but when you apply f1(x) the first three terms are
4x+1
16x+5
64x+21

how does the common ratio of 4 apply there

It's

4x + 1

16x + (1 + 4)

64x + (1 + 4 + 4^2)

Can you not see that the bracket terms are a geometric series???????
Original post by Zacken
It's

4x + 1

16x + (1 + 4)

64x + (1 + 4 + 4^2)

Can you not see that the bracket terms are a geometric series???????

.. yeah... of course... just testing you fam
just testing you fam

What?
Original post by Zacken
What?

what do you mean what?
what do you mean what?

Are you being serious about "just testing me"?
Original post by Zacken
Are you being serious about "just testing me"?

of course not, i was just joking. its just that i was stuck on something that should have been really obvious
of course not, i was just joking. its just that i was stuck on something that should have been really obvious

Ah, alright :tongue:
Original post by Zacken
Ah, alright :tongue:

FFS ZACIN, u duno wat joke is OMFG.

Posted from TSR Mobile
is cot,sec and csc c1/c2??
Reply 138
How much time should you allocate to each question in the exam? As in how long on the multiple choice (q1) in total, then how much on q2, q3, etc?
Original post by r4dd3r5
How much time should you allocate to each question in the exam? As in how long on the multiple choice (q1) in total, then how much on q2, q3, etc?

depends on the person, i just do the questions where i can see what to do first, then just focus on the remaining parts of the 15 markers after

Latest

Trending

Trending