The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Serine Soul
Happy autumn everyone! (my fave season by far)

Is it worth going over A Level content before I go?

Happy Autumn!

Probably worth going looking the topics that you struggled with whilst going through the workbook, otherwise don't think so, first few lectures will probably catch everyone up to speed anyway. :smile:
Original post by Zacken
Happy Autumn!

Probably worth going looking the topics that you struggled with whilst going through the workbook, otherwise don't think so, first few lectures will probably catch everyone up to speed anyway. :smile:

Yeah the maths workbook was okay overall, though my college parents have said it's really not useful for Maths Bio :tongue:

Hopefully! I'm reading through some AS Biology and I have no idea on what's going on :lol:
Happy autumn everyone! (my fave season by far)

Is it worth going over A Level content before I go?

I like winter more. Did your department not send you any work?
Original post by 16Characters....
I like winter more. Did your department not send you any work?

But...the colours...

Just some maths stuff, nothing related to bio or chem :smile:
Reply 1604
But...the colours...

Chem gets off to a fairly gentle start (well more gentle than other subjects).
Original post by alow
Chem gets off to a fairly gentle start (well more gentle than other subjects).

Do they try and ease you in?

I'm scared of turning up to lectures for the first time and having absolutely no idea on what the person is saying :lol:

I'm scared of turning up to lectures for the first time and having absolutely no idea on what the person is saying :lol:

Freshers come from all sorts of school/education backgrounds, so they usually use the first few week or so to make sure everyone is on the same start line when they start revving up the teaching in earnest.
Reply 1607

Kind of. In cells the first course was a lot more relaxed than the following courses, and chem starts by going over spectroscopy and then starting MO stuff. If you haven't read Why Chemical Reactions Happen it could be a good idea to flick through it as it is literally the same as some of the IA content.
But...the colours...

I like black and white, so winter is great. I am in two minds if I want it to snow. On the one hand Cambridge will look very pretty. On the other it will be slippery.
Original post by vincrows
Freshers come from all sorts of school/education backgrounds, so they usually use the first few week or so to make sure everyone is on the same start line when they start revving up the teaching in earnest.
Yeah, makes sense to do that
Original post by alow
Kind of. In cells the first course was a lot more relaxed than the following courses, and chem starts by going over spectroscopy and then starting MO stuff. If you haven't read Why Chemical Reactions Happen it could be a good idea to flick through it as it is literally the same as some of the IA content.
I'll have a look for that, it's on the recommended reading list
I like black and white, so winter is great. I am in two minds if I want it to snow. On the one hand Cambridge will look very pretty. On the other it will be slippery.
Buy snow boots with ice studs?
Reply 1610

It's written by a couple of people you'll have lectures from in IA. Also if you've been added to your courses on the VLE you could just look through some notes?

Can you access to university library's digital catalogue already? If you can, I'm sure you can read the ebook.
Reply 1612
Original post by vincrows
Can you access to university library's digital catalogue already? If you can, I'm sure you can read the ebook.

I actually checked and couldn't find the eBook... despite the fact that it's written by two of our chem lecturers :tongue:
Buy snow boots with ice studs?

I'd probably stand on someone with them.
Original post by alow
I actually checked and couldn't find the eBook... despite the fact that it's written by two of our chem lecturers :tongue:

lol it's definitely deliberate.
They're making sure students have to pay the money for it. :biggrin:
Less than a week left :woo:

Should probably start packing...
Original post by Zacken
Less than a week left :woo:

Should probably start packing...

yea when dyu think the latest feasible time is before I have to start thinking about this stuff?
Original post by EnglishMuon
yea when dyu think the latest feasible time is before I have to start thinking about this stuff?

let me whip out my lagrange multipliers and optimise that for you
Original post by alow
It's written by a couple of people you'll have lectures from in IA. Also if you've been added to your courses on the VLE you could just look through some notes?
Is that moodle? It says I can't enrol onto my courses yet (so can't access anything)
I'd probably stand on someone with them.

:lol:
Original post by EnglishMuon

When ur in the car there

Quick Reply