The Student Room Group

Sadiq:Muslim migrants shouldn't assimilate, and the West should get used to terrorism

The former Labour MP who was in Manhattan when a bomb rocked the New York city district on Saturday has just returned from touring America to help promote business in post-Brexit London.

Mr Khan said: "It is a reality I'm afraid that London, New York, other major cities around the world have got to be prepared for these sorts of things.

London's Muslim mayor Sadiq Khan has continued his pro-Hillary Clinton tour of the United States by declaring that immigrants into the West should not be forced to assimilate.

"People shouldn't have to drop their cultures and traditions when they arrive in our cities and countries."

The United Kingdom, and especially areas of East London which overwhelmingly voted for Mr. Khan, is currently suffering from Muslim ghettoisation, horrific employment rates for Muslim women, an internal debate surrounding the banning of the burka, and ongoing issues such as female genital mutilation, anti-Semitism, and homophobia within Muslim communities.

Under Mr. Khan's plans, none of these "cultures and traditions" would need to be dropped for Muslim migrants to Western countries.

Two different statements which complement each other from our mayor...

Scroll to see replies

Culture and values are two different things.
I think it's virtually impossible to get used to terrorist attacks. Paris for example has had so many terrorist attacks this summer, the lorry driver killing 86 people, including 10 children. If people were used to terrorist attacks, this wouldn't have made the news.
Reply 3
Original post by Mvine001
I think it's virtually impossible to get used to terrorist attacks. Paris for example has had so many terrorist attacks this summer, the lorry driver killing 86 people, including 10 children. If people were used to terrorist attacks, this wouldn't have made the news.

Being used to something doesn't mean it doesn't make the news...

And the lorry attack was Nice, not Paris.
Original post by Drewski
Being used to something doesn't mean it doesn't make the news...

And the lorry attack was Nice, not Paris.

It was still in France, Smarty-Pants
I knew that you were going to twist his words. Being prepared for a terrorist attack is the wise thing to do; that is how they are stopped.

No one completely drops their culture when they immigrate to a country, Westerners who move abroad do not either. As long as they are obeying the law, that does not mean that they can't integrate. Their children may drop all aspects of their parent's culture in favour of Western culture but that is their choice, it should not be forced.
Original post by MildredMalone

So... do you think 'prepare' and 'get used to' are the same word? I would be more alarmed by Sadiq Khan saying 'let's never think about terrorism or prepare for terrorist attacks - especially in massive, internationally famous and culturally significant cities with high population densities'. He didn't say 'we should all just stop whining about terrorist attacks and accept they are going to happen without attempting to stop them'.
Preparation for terrorist attacks would be almost certainly be endorsed by every politician and world leader, from Vladimir Putin to Jeremy Corbyn
Original post by WBZ144
I knew that you were going to twist his words. Being prepared for a terrorist attack is the wise thing to do; that is how they are stopped.

No one completely drops their culture when they immigrate to a country, Westerners who move abroad do not either. As long as they are obeying the law, that does not mean that they can't integrate. Their children may drop all aspects of their parent's culture in favour of Western culture but that is their choice, it should not be forced.

I think the op graduated from the DM school of twisting words and clickbait titles
Original post by Mathemagicien
So... TSR?

Lol
Nice comrade corbyn avatar.
He's right though, its virtually impossible to prepare for all kinds terrorist attacks. Nice showed us that almost anyone can rent a large goods vehicle and run it into a crowd, the same can be done with a car - and any the same argument applies where you can't ban all deadly weapons like knives.

'Assimilation'. I think minority communities have had enough of that when the British came and invaded their countries, forcing them to accept the British culture, British rule. No one should be forced to change who they are, what makes them them. Their identity is not something white people can alter anymore, they are free to be their own, enjoy their traditions (which don't harm others), cultures and values. The colonial mindset must go, people are free to form their own identities, if they choose to accept a British culture alongside their own. Again, what is British culture. It is a culture which is massively made out of other cultures. Celebrate other cultures. You are not superior.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/british-muslim-women-71-more-likely-to-be-unemployed-due-to-workplace-discrimination-10179033.html
Inequality, discrimination exists. Ban the burka, you'll be banning the free choice, free will of a whole group of people. Freedom of speech, that's a value isn't it? Then why do you want to take it away from some people? Discrimination, islamophobia, hate. That's what it is.

'Muslim ghettoization'. If you feel fear, hate or disgust when you see a community with many Muslims, it is your ignorance, your rational you have to change, not them. If you are talking about the no-go zones, I am sorry that you still believe that when the idea has been a laughing stock; under immense scrutiny.

Anti-Semitism and homophobia is a problem all around, not just be some Muslims. FGM needs to be tackled more, and people need to be given education about the illegality of its practices, and the harm it causes. These are outlawed and criminal acts, especially anti-Semitism and homophobia are not brought by cultures but are a national problem.
Original post by Anonymous9753
'Assimilation'. I think minority communities have had enough of that when the British came and invaded their countries, forcing them to accept the British culture, British rule. No one should be forced to change who they are, what makes them them. Their identity is not something white people can alter anymore, they are free to be their own, enjoy their traditions (which don't harm others), cultures and values. The colonial mindset must go, people are free to form their own identities, if they choose to accept a British culture alongside their own. Again, what is British culture. It is a culture which is massively made out of other cultures. Celebrate other cultures. You are not superior.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/british-muslim-women-71-more-likely-to-be-unemployed-due-to-workplace-discrimination-10179033.html
Inequality, discrimination exists. Ban the burka, you'll be banning the free choice, free will of a whole group of people. Freedom of speech, that's a value isn't it? Then why do you want to take it away from some people? Discrimination, islamophobia, hate. That's what it is.

'Muslim ghettoization'. If you feel fear, hate or disgust when you see a community with many Muslims, it is your ignorance, your rational you have to change, not them. If you are talking about the no-go zones, I am sorry that you still believe that when the idea has been a laughing stock; under immense scrutiny.

Anti-Semitism and homophobia is a problem all around, not just be some Muslims. FGM needs to be tackled more, and people need to be given education about the illegality of its practices, and the harm it causes. These are outlawed and criminal acts, especially anti-Semitism and homophobia are not brought by cultures but are a national problem.

Post-modernism is complete BS. You obviously don't know the troubles that "Muslim ghettoization", and non-integration causes. Have a listen to this, and you should read the rotherham report. The police refused to arrest the Muslim men who were raping underage girls because they didn't want to be labelled as racist/islamophobic. I agree that ban the burka is stupid, but equally so is banning "offensive" clothing like this. Now, for some people, burka's are equally offensive as that guy's shirt, so if some "offensive" clothing is illegal, shouldn't everything be? The law should not pussy-foot around religious sensibilities. The hypocrisy I see from you is strange. On one hand you are saying, "The colonial mindset must go," while on the other you are promoting individual freedoms. Either let people have individual rights, including having ideas you don't like, or don't. You can't have both. Source. 52% of British Muslims believe that gay marriage should be illegal, compared to the 25~% of the general public. Source "Even though these figures for natives are worrisome enough, they are dwarfed by the levels of out-group hostility among European Muslims. Almost 60 per cent reject homosexuals as friends and 45 per cent think that Jews cannot be trusted." Formatting on this sucks ass so much it refuses to let me make paragraphs.

He says we should be prepared for terrorism. Are you saying we shouldnt be realistic or do we pretend it doesnt exist? Its the same argument you lot put forward when the French president commented about the attacks in Paris. Nothing controversial in what he said.

Lo@ your sources as well.
Original post by Shipreck
Post-modernism is complete BS. You obviously don't know the troubles that "Muslim ghettoization", and non-integration causes. Have a listen to this, and you should read the rotherham report. The police refused to arrest the Muslim men who were raping underage girls because they didn't want to be labelled as racist/islamophobic. I agree that ban the burka is stupid, but equally so is banning "offensive" clothing like this. Now, for some people, burka's are equally offensive as that guy's shirt, so if some "offensive" clothing is illegal, shouldn't everything be? The law should not pussy-foot around religious sensibilities. The hypocrisy I see from you is strange. On one hand you are saying, "The colonial mindset must go," while on the other you are promoting individual freedoms. Either let people have individual rights, including having ideas you don't like, or don't. You can't have both. Source. 52% of British Muslims believe that gay marriage should be illegal, compared to the 25~% of the general public. Source "Even though these figures for natives are worrisome enough, they are dwarfed by the levels of out-group hostility among European Muslims. Almost 60 per cent reject homosexuals as friends and 45 per cent think that Jews cannot be trusted." Formatting on this sucks ass so much it refuses to let me make paragraphs.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/belief/2009/may/20/muslim-integration-gallup

Is it Muslims fault or the police fault that they feared being labelled racist or islamaphobic? Is it Muslims fault they failed to do their job properly? The burka is a religious outfit for many Muslim women, the t-shirt worn by the man was to deliberately cause offence. The intention is different here, Muslim women don't wear the burka to offend people, rather for their own religious commitments. There is such thing as religious freedom, and the idea that Muslims are singled out for their religion and what they wear etc is preposterous. About the channel 4 survey, it has come under scrutiny for the research methods used.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2016/04/beware-british-muslims-160414102212060.html

The socioeconomic conditions, such as discrimination when applying for jobs, especially Muslim women, the prevent strategy, which alienates and marginalisation of Muslim, hate crimes all contribute to the exclusion of some Muslims from society.
Marc Sageman - ‘At the time they joined jihad terrorists were not very religious. They only became religious once they joined the jihad.’
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/belief/2009/may/20/muslim-integration-gallup

Is it Muslims fault or the police fault that they feared being labelled racist or islamaphobic? Is it Muslims fault they failed to do their job properly? The burka is a religious outfit for many Muslim women, the t-shirt worn by the man was to deliberately cause offence. The intention is different here, Muslim women don't wear the burka to offend people, rather for their own religious commitments. There is such thing as religious freedom, and the idea that Muslims are singled out for their religion and what they wear etc is preposterous. About the channel 4 survey, it has come under scrutiny for the research methods used.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2016/04/beware-british-muslims-160414102212060.html

The socioeconomic conditions, such as discrimination when applying for jobs, especially Muslim women, the prevent strategy, which alienates and marginalisation of Muslim, hate crimes all contribute to the exclusion of some Muslims from society.
Marc Sageman - ‘At the time they joined jihad terrorists were not very religious. They only became religious once they joined the jihad.’

It's not all Muslims' fault that the police are inept, but it was a big gang of Muslims who raped 1400 underage girls, and the reason they got away with that is because they are Muslim. Unless they hold western values, I don't really care what religion they are, or what color they are. They should either learn quick or leave. You seem to think that all cultures are equal when that is simply wrong. In Saudi Arabia they throw homosexuals off of roofs and girls who are raped get stoned to death for adultery. I don't want that part of that culture to come over here. When you say we should celebrate other cultures, I totally agree if it's food, or entertainment, or things like that. If it involves the death of people, or hating entire groups of people, I disagree wholly, and I think you should accept that that is part of their culture. I believe that banning the burka is very dumb, but so is making any clothing illegal. Aljazeera is not exactly a non-biased source for this type of thing. They are owned and controlled by the government of Qatar.

Have you forgotten that terrorism has always existed?? It's just the form is slightly different but this evidential problem has always been roaming in our societies, our communities, our family lives as well as our own individual lives.

I think you have misinterpreted what Sadiq has indeed said. He said that the solution that everyone is giving that Muslims should drop their tradition, culture and values will in fact defeat terrorism is wrong. It isn't one's tradition, culture or values that is initiating this evidential problem but rather the misinterpretation of religion, one's morality and ideologies.

How can religion be such a great force that can influence one's decision? So, there is no point of blaming religion for the faults in society.
They push integration and assimilation because if they don't, they're likely to keep to themselves and intermix with Whites.

Just as the Jews have in their history. Today they still largely live in their segregated communities. But of course they push the opposite for us.

"Channel 4 cannot be trusted on the subject of Muslims. Here's what Al Jazeera has to say about it..........."

Moron.
Original post by Shipreck
It's not all Muslims' fault that the police are inept, but it was a big gang of Muslims who raped 1400 underage girls, and the reason they got away with that is because they are Muslim. Unless they hold western values, I don't really care what religion they are, or what color they are. They should either learn quick or leave. You seem to think that all cultures are equal when that is simply wrong. In Saudi Arabia they throw homosexuals off of roofs and girls who are raped get stoned to death for adultery. I don't want that part of that culture to come over here. When you say we should celebrate other cultures, I totally agree if it's food, or entertainment, or things like that. If it involves the death of people, or hating entire groups of people, I disagree wholly, and I think you should accept that that is part of their culture. I believe that banning the burka is very dumb, but so is making any clothing illegal. Aljazeera is not exactly a non-biased source for this type of thing. They are owned and controlled by the government of Qatar.

Again, Muslims have not asked or wanted for the police to not catch criminals because of their race or religion. No one has said 'we are offended if you prosecute criminals for a crime if their Muslim'. What is western values? The majority of Muslims believe in the right to life, unlike the governments of western governments who call innocent civilians 'collateral damage'. If you were informed, you would understand Saudi Arabia's policies are enshrined by law. What I find truly ridiculous is when white pedophiles commit acts of paedophilia, it is not because of their white race. The majority of Pakistanis in the UK do not commit rape. The majority of white people do not commit rape. But I do agree more must be done to tackle rape in ALL communities, of all cultures. The Muslim religion does not accept rape, it is totally forbidden in the religion. And for the Aljazeera source you'll find it is not a news article, but an opinion.
Again, Muslims have not asked or wanted for the police to not catch criminals because of their race or religion. No one has said 'we are offended if you prosecute criminals for a crime if their Muslim'. What is western values? The majority of Muslims believe in the right to life, unlike the governments of western governments who call innocent civilians 'collateral damage'. If you were informed, you would understand Saudi Arabia's policies are enshrined by law. What I find truly ridiculous is when white pedophiles commit acts of paedophilia, it is not because of their white race. The majority of Pakistanis in the UK do not commit rape. The majority of white people do not commit rape. But I do agree more must be done to tackle rape in ALL communities, of all cultures. The Muslim religion does not accept rape, it is totally forbidden in the religion. And for the Aljazeera source you'll find it is not a news article, but an opinion.

I don't understand why you think them being enshrined by law changes anything. Saudi Arabia follows Sharia law, which comes from Islamic doctrine. I didn't say that all Muslims are rapists, I said the reason they got away with it was because they were Muslim. "The Muslim religion does not accept rape, it is totally forbidden in the religion." [video]https://youtu.be/DR7_YQ53lfI?t=2m53s[/video]
Wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending