The Student Room Group

On a gap year hoping to do medicine - please help

As the title says, I'm on a gap year and want to apply for 2017 entry to med school.

GCSEs: 5A's 5B's (my main concern)
A-Levels: A*AA (History, Chemistry, Biology respectively)
UKCAT: average score of 653

I am unsure of where to apply to maximise my chances of getting offered a place (I know you have to do an interview). Could you please help!? I would really appreciate it. Do I even have a chance??

Thanks in advance :smile:

EDIT: My situational judgement is Band 2
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kwaks
As the title says, I'm on a gap year and want to apply for 2017 entry to med school.

I am unsure of where to apply to maximise my chances of getting offered a place (I know you have to do an interview). Could you please help!? I would really appreciate it. Do I even have a chance??

Have a look at Leicester. They give more points on their scoring system for achieved A levels. If your GCSE A*s are in the core subjects (maths English sciences) your score may be ok.
Reply 2
Original post by newgirl66
Have a look at Leicester. They give more points on their scoring system for achieved A levels. If your GCSE A*s are in the core subjects (maths English sciences) your score may be ok.

Okay, thank you for the advice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kwaks

Hiya I'm also applying for 2017 entry. Are you a reapplicant?
You have to look at universities cut offs for ukcat for previous years as you will have to avoid ukcat heavy universities.
Reply 4
Original post by Kings_queens
Hiya I'm also applying for 2017 entry. Are you a reapplicant?
You have to look at universities cut offs for ukcat for previous years as you will have to avoid ukcat heavy universities.

Hey, no this is my first time I'm applying for medicine. Oh okay thank you for the advice :smile: I will look into it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending