The Student Room Group

Would my GCSE grades get me into Oxford University?

On the University of Oxford's website it is stated that 'successful applicants typically have a high proportion of A and A* grades'. Although I am not looking to apply within the next year, I am uncertain whether my GCSE grades would be enough to be successful. I achieved 6A* grades including maths and all sciences 3A including english literature and 1B in english language. Has my GCSE profile got a high enough proportion of A* and A grade to allow me to go to Oxford in the future?
(edited 7 years ago)
I definitely think it has potential, if you have brill A level grades too :smile:
For what course?
Reply 3
Original post by Pip50
On the University of Oxford's website it is stated that 'successful applicants typically have a high proportion of A and A* grades'. Although I am not looking to apply within the next year, I am uncertain whether my GCSE grades would be enough to be successful. I achieved 6A* grades including maths and all sciences 3A including english literature and 1B in english language. Has my GCSE profile got a high enough proportion of A* and A grade to allow me to go to Oxford in the future?

Yes, they typically have a high proportion, and so do you.

For most courses GCSEs are less important than the admissions test for the course you are considering.

And which course *are* you considering?
Reply 4
Original post by jneill

For most courses GCSEs are less important than the admissions test for the course you are considering.

Currently I am considering and History of Art or Business. However, I believe they do not offer a undergraduate course for Business, therefore I will have to look into alternatives.

Thanks for your reply! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Pip50
Currently I am considering and History of Art or Business. However, I believe they do not offer a undergraduate course for Business, therefore I will have to look into alternatives.

Thanks for your reply! :smile:

They do have Economics and Management
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/economics-and-management?wssl=1

But don't just apply to Oxford because of the "name". Be sure the detailed content of the course, and the style of teaching is what you really want.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill

I'm applying for Theology which doesn't have any admissions test though :s-smilie: I got 5 A* 4 A 3 B at GCSE which isn't the best and I didn't put in enough work I suppose for personal but minor reasons relating to mental health, but I am predicted A*A*A* because I worked really hard and did well this year... I'm just worried as there's no admissions test that they'll look at my GCSEs more?
Reply 7
Original post by bigmandave
I'm applying for Theology which doesn't have any admissions test though :s-smilie: I got 5 A* 4 A 3 B at GCSE which isn't the best and I didn't put in enough work I suppose for personal but minor reasons relating to mental health, but I am predicted A*A*A* because I worked really hard and did well this year... I'm just worried as there's no admissions test that they'll look at my GCSEs more?

I'm by no means an expert on Oxford admissions, but afaik they interview a higher proportion of applicants for courses that don't have pre-interview tests.

@BrasenoseAdm can, hopefully, confirm :smile:
Original post by jneill
I'm by no means an expert on Oxford admissions, but afaik they interview a higher proportion of applicants for courses that don't have pre-interview tests.

@BrasenoseAdm can, hopefully, confirm :smile:

Thank's for summoning us.

We looked up Theology, Philosophy & Theology, & Theology & Oriental Studies. 56% of applicants for these courses were interviewed last year across Oxford.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Thank's for summoning us.

We looked up Theology, Philoosphy & Theology, & Theology & Oriental Studies. 56% of applicants for these courses were interviewed last year across Oxford.

In response to my question above, do you think it's not worth me applying then? Given that there is no admissions test? My teachers have told me my grades are more 'Cambridge material' in that they're bad GCSEs but high AS/A Level. If I am clearly on an upwards trajectory, and my teachers point this out in my reference, will Oxford take this into account?
With this GCSE profile you would fall into the 25th and 50th percentile of Theology candidates interviewed last year and the same range of candidates offered places.

Since both Oxford and Cambridge will see your GCSEs, your AS grades, your predicted A2 result, and the school reference we are not clear why your teachers are giving this advice - but you may wish to follow it nevertheless.

We are not sure whether the number of places and ratio of applicants to places differs between the two Universities or how the Oxford course differs from Cambridge (we don't admit for Theology - although some of our students transfer to it as a joint school while on course). These seem to us to be considerations that may be worth looking at.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Pip50

Get impressive A-Level results as well. Somebody I know got 6A* 3A and A*A*A at A-Level and got into Cambridge for Natural Sciences.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending