The Student Room Group

Summer Research Internships in the US

I'm posting this in here because I thought it might be a more relevant forum than 'summer jobs', but I might be wrong.
I'm just about to enter my second year of Medicine at UCL and I'm looking at biomedical research internships for next summer, mainly to get a bit of money and experience. I've done a lot of searching and found a few in the UK that I'd like to apply to, however I'm now wondering if it might be more interesting to apply to a few abroad as well, namely in the US. From what I've seen, these tend to be extremely competitive so I'd like to apply to as many as possible to maximise my chances.
Suitable ones I've found so far over there - and that I'm eligible for - include the Harvard Stem Cell Institute Internship Program, the Cold Spring Harbour Laboratory Undergraduate Research Program, and the Rockefeller University Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship. The main problem I'm having with finding more is that many are only open to US citizens.
Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with regard to similar placements in the US that I would be eligible to apply for as a British citizen?
Eligibility will be a problem so you really have to research this carefully. Remember that a lot of places will only fund home students and have to have a very good reason not to do so. I think your best bet is to look in the UK because doing research in the US is very different unless you want to work there eventually.
Original post by TotalerReinfall
I'm posting this in here because I thought it might be a more relevant forum than 'summer jobs', but I might be wrong.
I'm just about to enter my second year of Medicine at UCL and I'm looking at biomedical research internships for next summer, mainly to get a bit of money and experience. I've done a lot of searching and found a few in the UK that I'd like to apply to, however I'm now wondering if it might be more interesting to apply to a few abroad as well, namely in the US. From what I've seen, these tend to be extremely competitive so I'd like to apply to as many as possible to maximise my chances.
Suitable ones I've found so far over there - and that I'm eligible for - include the Harvard Stem Cell Institute Internship Program, the Cold Spring Harbour Laboratory Undergraduate Research Program, and the Rockefeller University Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship. The main problem I'm having with finding more is that many are only open to US citizens.
Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with regard to similar placements in the US that I would be eligible to apply for as a British citizen?

I applied for a 6 week Wellcome Trust Biomedical Vacation Scholarship to carry out research into pharmacogenetics / molecular biology at my university this summer - they paid £250/week which was enough to cover what I would have earned working in a pharmacy. My supervisor and I are currently writing up a full research paper and in the process of doing a systematic review, so I think it's also worth considering UK programmes.

No idea about US programmes, I'm afraid.
Original post by alleycat393
Eligibility will be a problem so you really have to research this carefully. Remember that a lot of places will only fund home students and have to have a very good reason not to do so. I think your best bet is to look in the UK because doing research in the US is very different unless you want to work there eventually.

Yeah the programmes I've found so far do offer housing and a considerable stipend to all students, international or not. I think my focus from now on will be the UK, however. Thank you

Original post by thegodofgod
I applied for a 6 week Wellcome Trust Biomedical Vacation Scholarship to carry out research into pharmacogenetics / molecular biology at my university this summer - they paid £250/week which was enough to cover what I would have earned working in a pharmacy. My supervisor and I are currently writing up a full research paper and in the process of doing a systematic review, so I think it's also worth considering UK programmes.

No idea about US programmes, I'm afraid.

Re Wellcome Trust: I saw they run a summer internship which could be in a faculty of your choice. If I went for a science-based one, does anyone have any idea how research/lab-based this is? Or is it more to do with 'softer' publicity and awareness etc?
The scholarship also sounds like a good idea, although it would require me taking the research into my own hands a bit more.
Yeah the programmes I've found so far do offer housing and a considerable stipend to all students, international or not. I think my focus from now on will be the UK, however. Thank you

Re Wellcome Trust: I saw they run a summer internship which could be in a faculty of your choice. If I went for a science-based one, does anyone have any idea how research/lab-based this is? Or is it more to do with 'softer' publicity and awareness etc?
The scholarship also sounds like a good idea, although it would require me taking the research into my own hands a bit more.

I think that's up to you and your supervisor to decide - we applied through the genetics stream and our research involved recruiting healthy human volunteers (staff and students at our university), consenting them to get a small blood sample, and then I analysed the expression of the proteins we were looking at (so extracted mRNA, reverse transcribed it to cDNA, used qPCR to quantify the expression of those proteins and then analysed the data).

You can apply to do clinical research, but as far as I'm aware you have to carry out original research - you can't do a literature review. And yeah, you won't be treated as an extra pair of hands in the lab - you should actively be involved in reading the literature around the subject etc.
Original post by thegodofgod
I think that's up to you and your supervisor to decide - we applied through the genetics stream and our research involved recruiting healthy human volunteers (staff and students at our university), consenting them to get a small blood sample, and then I analysed the expression of the proteins we were looking at (so extracted mRNA, reverse transcribed it to cDNA, used qPCR to quantify the expression of those proteins and then analysed the data).

You can apply to do clinical research, but as far as I'm aware you have to carry out original research - you can't do a literature review. And yeah, you won't be treated as an extra pair of hands in the lab - you should actively be involved in reading the literature around the subject etc.

Ah okay. What I meant though was that there are two separate schemes - the internship, which is when you're actually based and working at the Wellcome Trust in a specific faculty, and the scholarship, which is where you apply for funding and then carry out research at your own institution. I'm just wondering if the internship can involve any scientific research.
Ah okay. What I meant though was that there are two separate schemes - the internship, which is when you're actually based and working at the Wellcome Trust in a specific faculty, and the scholarship, which is where you apply for funding and then carry out research at your own institution. I'm just wondering if the internship can involve any scientific research.

Oh my bad - I'm afraid I don't know much about the internship, I just went for the scholarship as I knew that I wanted to work in the pharmacology department and continue with the research as my final year project.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending