The Student Room Group

Two killed by police brutality in the USA

Keith Lamont Scott was shot at around 4pm on Tuesday, as he reportedly waited for his son to be dropped off by his school bus.

Scott’s family dispute Charlotte-Mecklenburg police statements about the killing which claim officers were in the area looking for a suspect with an outstanding warrant when they saw Scott sitting in a car.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/keith-lamont-scott-black-man-shot-by-police-was-disabled-and-unarmed_uk_57e25555e4b004d4d8613eb3[

Authorities are investigating the death of Terence Crutcher, 40, who had his hands in the air when he was shot next to his car, relatives say.
Police footage shows Mr Crutcher walking away from officers, his hands in the air, before he is shot.
An officer is heard on a recording from a police helicopter calling him "a big dude" who was "probably on something".
"The big bad dude was my twin brother," his twin sister, Tiffany, told reporters.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37413558

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Let's hear what the BLACK officers had to say ?

"Officers observed a subject inside a vehicle in the apartment complex," and "the subject exited the vehicle armed with a firearm," the police said.

"Officers observed the subject get back into the vehicle, at which time they began to approach the subject," the police said.

Officers gave Scott loud verbal commands to get out, police said this morning. That's when he got out of the car with a handgun, police said.

Police said he "posed an imminent deadly threat to the officers, who subsequently fired their weapon, striking the subject."

He was taken to a hospital, where he was declared dead, police said.

Police say a weapon was seized from the scene and no book was found.

http://abc30.com/news/what-we-know-about-the-charlotte-shooting/1520516/

From your own link

UPDATE: Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Chief Kerr Putney reiterated during a news conference on Wednesday morning that officers saw Keith Lamont Scott exit a car with a handgun. He says the officers told him to drop the gun and that he got out of the vehicle a second time still carrying the gun. He says Scott was shot because he posed a threat.
“It’s time to change the narrative, because I can tell you from the facts that the story’s a little bit different as to how it’s been portrayed so far, especially through social media,” he said.

the second one the video is unclear
Original post by Crijjkal
Let's hear what the BLACK officers had to say ?

"Officers observed a subject inside a vehicle in the apartment complex," and "the subject exited the vehicle armed with a firearm," the police said.

"Officers observed the subject get back into the vehicle, at which time they began to approach the subject," the police said.

Officers gave Scott loud verbal commands to get out, police said this morning. That's when he got out of the car with a handgun, police said.

Police said he "posed an imminent deadly threat to the officers, who subsequently fired their weapon, striking the subject."

He was taken to a hospital, where he was declared dead, police said.

Police say a weapon was seized from the scene and no book was found.

http://abc30.com/news/what-we-know-about-the-charlotte-shooting/1520516/

Why does it matter what race the police officers were?

And this man was not a criminal, I thought that having a gun was not a crime if you're licensed (which isn't difficult in America)? How did he deserve to be killed?

And what of the pastor who got killed for "looking like a bad dude"? Way to deflect.
Original post by BIGJohnson777
Ok.
So defending yourself from a gun-wielding maniac is considered a 'brutality' now.

Do you have evidence that they were "gun wielding maniacs"?

The first one may have had a gun, which isn't a crime if you are licensed. The second one was unarmed. Neither of them were criminals so yes, it is brutality.
Original post by WBZ144

And this man was not a criminal,

Btw, Keith Lamont Scott had been previously charged with carrying a concealed weapon and assault with a deadly weapon.
Original post by WBZ144
Why does it matter what race the police officers were?

And this man was not a criminal, I thought that having a gun was not a crime if you're licensed (which isn't difficult in America)? How did he deserve to be killed?

And what of the pastor who got killed for "looking like a bad dude"? Way to deflect.

I think the question is - if this isn't about race relations, then why exactly are you highlighting it? It sounds like anti-Americanism. People get killed every day by police all around the world - what is it with splashing it on the internet when it's in the US?
What is wrong with the US police these days? Can they actually do anything without shooting/killing someone? :mad:

This is why I'm proud to live in the UK - we don't have any nonsense like this over here!
Original post by Trinculo
I think the question is - if this isn't about race relations, then why exactly are you highlighting it? It sounds like anti-Americanism. People get killed every day by police all around the world - what is it with splashing it on the internet when it's in the US?

I was posting news that dealt with the issue of police brutality in the US, this is the News and Current Affairs section after all. Have you made the same enquiries on threads that report Islamist terror attacks or BLM protests?
Original post by spotify95
What is wrong with the US police these days? Can they actually do anything without shooting/killing someone? :mad:

This is why I'm proud to live in the UK - we don't have any nonsense like this over here!

True, I have always found UK police to be very professional and feel safe around them. I would worry for my brothers if we lived in the US.
Reply 11
This is the norm in America now. Don't see the 'shoot first, ask questions later' policy changing.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by spotify95

It's not as if they go out to kill, it's incredibly different here because we don't have much of a gun culture, I think if I was a yank on the beat I'd be incredibly paranoid as well. And be careful being proud of our law enforcement who have covered up child rape gangs and done some really shady **** over the years.
Reply 13
Original post by WBZ144
Do you have evidence that they were "gun wielding maniacs"?

The first one may have had a gun, which isn't a crime if you are licensed. The second one was unarmed. Neither of them were criminals so yes, it is brutality.

Do you think cops should wait till they've been shot before they can use deadly force, or would that be asking too much?
Original post by pjm600
Do you think cops should wait till they've been shot before they can use deadly force, or would that be asking too much?

The video of the pastor who was shot dead shows him clearly doing as he was asked and with his hands in the air. Do you think that it is justified to shoot someone in that situation? The police might as well shoot everyone who they stop, "just in case".
Original post by WBZ144
True, I have always found UK police to be very professional and feel safe around them. I would worry for my brothers if we lived in the US.

Lets use empathy. I want you to imagine you are the policewoman pulling this man over. Can you think of any reasons why you would be so edgy and anxious compared to here in the UK?
Reply 16
Original post by WBZ144
The video of the pastor who was shot dead shows him clearly doing as he was asked and with his hands in the air. Do you think that it is justified to shoot someone in that situation? The police might as well shoot everyone who they stop, "just in case".

So, to clarify, you do think it is a legitimate use of force to shoot someone holding a gun and not following commands?

The Tulsa shooting does appear to be excessive force. While he wasn't obeying commands and did seem to reach for something in his car, the situation could have been handled differently.
Original post by pjm600
So, to clarify, you do think it is a legitimate use of force to shoot someone holding a gun and not following commands?

The Tulsa shooting does appear to be excessive force. While he wasn't obeying commands and did seem to reach for something in his car, the situation could have been handled differently.

If that was the case then I understand. But we don't know that it was.

No he did not. He did exactly as he was told and was standing at his car. How can you be "reaching for" something when you have your hands in the air? When the car door is shut?

I knew that there would be some sort of justification for that one but wow, I had no idea that it would be that sloppy.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Lets use empathy. I want you to imagine you are the policewoman pulling this man over. Can you think of any reasons why you would be so edgy and anxious compared to here in the UK?

She wasn't alone and he had his hands in the air.
Original post by WBZ144
How can you be "reaching for" something when you have your hands in the air? When the car door is shut?

How do you know this was the case as you can't see this in the video nor can you see if his window was open or closed (as they claim he reached in through the window any talk of closed or open doors is irrelevant)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending