The Student Room Group

Hitler comparisons make you look ignorant

Not everything can be compared to the Nazis and bringing up Hitler does not make you a history scholar. I've noticed this start to happen with Trump now, not only is he compared to Hitler, he's replaced him for spurious comparisons.

There should be a law where you are prohibited to have an opinion on important topics when you do this.

http://thesatedire.com/news/world-news/hitler-compared-to-nazis-ends-nazi-comparisons-forever/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Damien96
I've noticed this start to happen with Trump now

Start to happen ? It's been a year now..
Reply 2
Original post by Crijjkal
Start to happen ? It's been a year now..

The comparisons yes but I've noticed he is the thing being compared to with increasing frequency. It's not that he isn't worthy of criticism, he's a scary bufoon, but we can surely do better.
Not everything can be compared to the Nazis and bringing up Hitler does not make you a history scholar. I've noticed this start to happen with Trump now, not only is he compared to Hitler, he's replaced him for spurious comparisons.

There should be a law where you are prohibited to have an opinion on important topics when you do this.

http://thesatedire.com/news/world-news/hitler-compared-to-nazis-ends-nazi-comparisons-forever/

Don't tell me what analogies I can draw, or support laws banning freedom of expression.

That's the sort of thing Hitler would have done.
Godwin's law.
Reply 5
Original post by Trinculo
Don't tell me what analogies I can draw, or support laws banning freedom of expression.

That's the sort of thing Hitler would have done.

Don't tell me what I can't tell you, that's just like Trump.
Reply 6
Original post by TheIr0nDuke
Godwin's law.

Exactly. I'm promoting Damien's law.

Mr T reminds me more of Reichsmarshall Göring :redface:
Carbs are literally hitler
It's funny because Hillary's policies align with Hitler's far more than do Trump's. Not that comparing anyone with Hitler is remotely useful
I have never compared Trump to Hitler, but some of the same Trump supporters who are against this have compared Muslims to Nazis.

So they are hypocrites.
Reply 11
Original post by the bear
Mr T reminds me more of Reichsmarshall Göring :redface:

That's better, some lateral thinking in a spurious comparison.
Reply 12
Not on topic but I agree entirely. I would add orange and thin skinned, nauseatingly smug and unworthy of a platform, let alone power.
Reply 13
Original post by TotalerReinfall
It's funny because Hillary's policies align with Hitler's far more than do Trump's. Not that comparing anyone with Hitler is remotely useful

Exactly and I'm refusing to follow you down that particualr rabbit hole on this thread :biggrin:
Most of the time Hitler comparisons do make you look ignorant, but you have to admit that Trump is a charismatic right-wing ideologue who blames many of the nation's problems on certain minority groups and claims to be able to make the country great again by taking action against those groups - just as Hitler was and did. They do genuinely have things in common.
Reply 15
Original post by WBZ144
I have never compared Trump to Hitler, but some of the same Trump supporters who are against this have compared Muslims to Nazis.

So they are hypocrites.

Yeah it's an equal opportunity idiocy and the sign of a feeble mind.
Reply 16
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Most of the time Hitler comparisons do make you look ignorant, but you have to admit that Trump is a charismatic right-wing ideologue who blames many of the nation's problems on certain minority groups and claims to be able to make the country great again by taking action against those groups - just as Hitler was and did. They do genuinely have things in common.

I would argue with charismatic in the same way Corbyn isn't inspiring. They are just figureheads for the like minded to dance around.

Hitler also believed in full employment, hated the excesses of Capitalism and was a Vegetarian. Such comparisons are always selective and rarely even accurate.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony

Yes, he's the modern form of fascism. It's similar to Berlusconi in Italy, Farage in the UK, Wilders in the Netherlands, Le Pen in France or the AFD in Germany - they are all basically blaming migrant groups for the economic crash and winning reactionary votes, plus the votes of the part of the working class for whom social democracy has visibly failed.

The scale of the effects of the financial crash of 2008 on the western economies has been huge and it is the stagnating incomes, high unemployment and limited opportunities that are scaring voters into supporting these apparent clowns.

Behind the jovial pretences of these hard right people lies a menacing future - they will base our societies on hate, not progress and on blame and victimisation, not rational evaluation of what can be done to bring us out of the economic malaise we are in.

It isn't exactly the same as the 1930s, but there are a lot of similarities.
Reply 18
It's fine comparing something or someone to the Nazis or Hitler, when the comparison is relevant and you know about the subject.
Reply 19
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Yes, he's the modern form of fascism. It's similar to Berlusconi in Italy, Farage in the UK, Wilders in the Netherlands, Le Pen in France or the AFD in Germany - they are all basically blaming migrant groups for the economic crash and winning reactionary votes, plus the votes of the part of the working class for whom social democracy has visibly failed.

The scale of the effects of the financial crash of 2008 on the western economies has been huge and it is the stagnating incomes, high unemployment and limited opportunities that are scaring voters into supporting these apparent clowns.

Behind the jovial pretences of these hard right people lies a menacing future - they will base our societies on hate, not progress and on blame and victimisation, not rational evaluation of what can be done to bring us out of the economic malaise we are in.

It isn't exactly the same as the 1930s, but there are a lot of similarities.

The problem is we rewrite history to fit our perceptions of our time. Yes there are comparisons between these people and Hitler, but there are large differences even between those you listed, what they stand for and what their motivations are.

Both history and politics is more nuanced than that. Corbyn isn't Lenin, even though he likes to dress like him, Trump isn't Hitler, even though he inspires hate of minorty groups.

Once we are able to get past these lazy comparisons we might be able to address the problems they both create and claim to deal with.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending