The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Engineering at Loughborough?

Hi,

I have a few questions about the engineering courses at Loughborough:
1) What was your experience like with engineering courses?
2) Did you get help and the support you required?
3) What was your workload like?
4) Was your timetable very heavy?

I'd appreciate any input you could give as i'm applying for aerospace engineering
Expect to be taught 15-30h/week and have to do some private study too. The timetable will vary depending on which year you're in and what modules you may or may not be able to opt in for. You will always get the help and support you need provided you ask for help when you need it and try at least. Ask the uni if they can put you in touch with current students and visit if you can.
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Original post by Whosthat?
Hi,

I'd appreciate any input you could give as i'm applying for aerospace engineering

Hi Whosthat?

Good to hear you are considering studying at Loughborough :biggrin:

Have you seen the profiles on our website? These have been provided by some of our current students and give lots of first-hand info and advice on our engineering courses, student life, the support available to you and lots more.

Hope this helps - any more questions just let us know :smile:

Amy
Reply 3
Original post by Whosthat?
Hi,

1) Very broad question but generally can't complain. As with most Uni courses, you get what you put in to it.

2) The actual department staff are extremely friendly and helpful. As for lecturers / module leaders it really depends on a person-to-person basis. Some couldn't do enough to help you, some really couldn't care less.

3) As far as compulsory work (coursework etc.) not as bad as some would have you believe. As somebody who tries to do just enough to get by, I had plenty of spare time and got a satisfactory amount of work done. For your first 2 years atleast, you won't need to have your face glued to a library computer monitor 24/7 to get decent grades but i'd stress once again that, as with any University course, you get out of it what you're willing to put in.

4) Very. Atleast relative to other courses. Expect to be on campus every day with atleast 3 or 4 hours contact time (that's a good day), most likely 9am starts every morning and a bastard 5pm lecture thrown in somewhere to really ruin your day.

Hope this was somewhat informative.

4th year Aero Engineering student @ Loughborough.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by AVB
1) Very broad question but generally can't complain. As with most Uni courses, you get what you put in to it.

2) The actual department staff are extremely friendly and helpful. As for lecturers / module leaders it really depends on a person-to-person basis. Some couldn't do enough to help you, some really couldn't care less.

3) As far as compulsory work (coursework etc.) not as bad as some would have you believe. As somebody who tries to do just enough to get by, I had plenty of spare time and got a satisfactory amount of work done. For your first 2 years atleast, you won't need to have your face glued to a library computer monitor 24/7 to get decent grades but i'd stress once again that, as with any University course, you get out of it what you're willing to put in.

4) Very. Atleast relative to other courses. Expect to be on campus every day with atleast 3 or 4 hours contact time (that's a good day), most likely 9am starts every morning and a bastard 5pm lecture thrown in somewhere to really ruin your day.

Hope this was somewhat informative.

4th year Aero Engineering student @ Loughborough.

Thanks for your response!

I am starting at Loughborough this September doing Aeronautical Engineering. However, I am not sure if this course is too limiting for careers? For this reason I am wondering whether I should change to Mech Eng so I have greater career options?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending