The Student Room Group

I am hopeless at maths-I need help

I feel like I am hopeless at maths.

I can't do basic maths even though I have got my C the second time round.

I feel really stupid and I can't even calculate my correct change sometimes.

My teacher gave us some simple maths questions(for nursing) and I am just staring at them.
Original post by Blackstarr
I feel like I am hopeless at maths.

I can't do basic maths even though I have got my C the second time round.

I feel really stupid and I can't even calculate my correct change sometimes.

My teacher gave us some simple maths questions(for nursing) and I am just staring at them.

Okay.

What exactly do you want us to do about it? Because we cannot do anything about it.
GCSE?
Never give up never surrender, stay away from 'they'.
I have heard this statement many times [usually from females]. I believe the reason is two-fold. First, gals are not as aggressive as guys. If they don't 'get' an explanation, they tend to let it slide. Second, young students (and their 'rents), are programmed to think that if a student is having problems understanding, that it's the student's fault. There are no 'ringers' in elementary school. Nobody who is as knowledgeable as the instructor, and who [having seen the teacher bumble through several lessons, can say: "Ok, Mr. Harris (or whatever), they have your last checque at the office. Just put the chalk in the tray, and be on your way. Don't bother coming here tomorrow, or on any subsequent day." These people are in class in uni, as well as graduate school. I have had a number of them in classes i taught, but none of them ever told me to NOT come back. When i was in graduate school [working on my Masters in Electrical Engineering], i complained to the dean about an 'adjunct faculty' clown - who should have been washing cars. They fired him. IMHO, there are MANY ppl attempting to 'teach' in elementary school, who should be washing cars for a living. That being said, those students who were 'short-changed' in their early days, have to learn it on their own to 'catch up' with other students who, despite their lousy teachers, managed to 'get it'. Remedial maths classes are available. Find someone who is good at maths, and buy them dinner to help you. Clean their flat for help. It's a lot of work, but it's possible to catch up. If you don't understand the explanation in one book, try another one. Sometimes the authors of a book don't understand the subject themselves, and are trying to BS their way throug an explanation - because they don't have the bottle to admit that they don't understand something. I thought [in my salad days], that textbooks were subjected to 'peer review'. I realise now, that they often are NOT!! A particular text may have an explanation of something that is not just incompetent, it may be totally WRONG! Good luck!! It's harder to get it on your own, but it's worth it. Cheers.

Quick Reply

Latest