The Student Room Group

Can i get into University?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lw8
D at AS, yes, but if you read all my posts i'll be retaking and i'll be getting at least a B. The GCSE is really irrelevant at this point...

The whole point of the post is that my maths grade is slightly low and i'm asking whether my other two A*s will make up for it. I have no doubts that i can take economics and get a first, especially when other people from physics/maths backgrounds are taking it, i will have a huge advantage from day 1, i love economics, i just hope universities aren't as pretentious as people say and would rather have someone who has a genuine passion for the subject over someone who took physics and maths at A-level and decide to take Economics as a degree because they've heard its got some maths in it and has great graduate salaries. Having marginally better maths skills will barely give them an advantage, maths in economics is easy.

Replying saying my grades are trash isn't helping anyone.

Unfortunately universities do care a lot about maths a level because university level economics is a lot more mathematical than the A Level and is very different from it. Getting an A* prediction in economics is great but universities really want to make sure that you have the necessary mathematical ability to complete an economics degree and a C prediction does not show that. A Level economics grades only show how well prepared you are for the introductory economics module at university. The rest of the modules are more mathematical and therefore require you to be very able at maths.

Of course universities want passion but they care more about ability and capability for the most part. They want to make sure that you are capable.

I would advise you either applying for BA Economics courses or to get an A or A* in your a level maths this year and apply next year
Original post by Trapz99
Unfortunately universities do care a lot about maths a level because university level economics is a lot more mathematical than the A Level and is very different from it. Getting an A* prediction in economics is great but universities really want to make sure that you have the necessary mathematical ability to complete an economics degree and a C prediction does not show that. A Level economics grades only show how well prepared you are for the introductory economics module at university. The rest of the modules are more mathematical and therefore require you to be very able at maths.

Of course universities want passion but they care more about ability and capability for the most part. They want to make sure that you are capable.

I would advise you either applying for BA Economics courses or to get an A or A* in your a level maths this year and apply next year

Thanks for the advice, i'll be trying my best to get an A first and foremost. I understand that most unis want an A, especially for Bsc. Even though i know i could handle it, as i'm great at maths with context, if i can't get in, i can't get in.
Original post by lw8
Why shouldn't they? Because they got better in maths, doesn't make them a better economics student. Someone could easily get in with AAB, including a B in economics, when i got an A*, to me thats wrong.

There's a difference between confidence and 'cocky', i have a clear direction in life, and unlike other students i wont go out drinking and partying every night like half the ****ing idiots that go to uni, I will make sure i do everything i possibly can to get a first, i want it that bad.

Also, i don't need to prove my 'attitude' to some dude online that just wants to respond to a thread saying my grades are poor without giving relevant help.

What did you get? (Don't answer that, i know you got all a*s, and i know you want to find a way to tell me you did)

Calm down. I merely pointed out a potential concern which unis may have when they review your application - something others in this thread did too. You seem to have taken it as a personal insult.

I'll leave it for others to judge whether you come across as confident or cocky.

As you ask - I got AAAB (in the days before A* grades). I've also got MEng, MSc and MBA degrees.
Original post by lw8
Thanks for the advice, i'll be trying my best to get an A first and foremost. I understand that most unis want an A, especially for Bsc. Even though i know i could handle it, as i'm great at maths with context, if i can't get in, i can't get in.

Definitely try and get the A. If you get the A in maths, you could go through I as clearing or adjustment to some quite good unis like maybe KCL or Bristol (Economics with Accounting was in clearing this year) or some other good ones.
Original post by lw8
i just hope universities aren't as pretentious as people say and would rather have someone who has a genuine passion for the subject over someone who took physics and maths at A-level and decide to take Economics as a degree because they've heard its got some maths in it

I disagree with this, some people couldn't take Economics at A-level (like me) and still want to do it, not because of the money, but what you'll learn from the degree. And i've asked how mathematical the content becomes at university level, its nothing like A-level for the majority of the time. Warwick for instance, who requires an A in math A-level, said to me on a live chat, that at the start of the year, the math content will be similar to C4 and so on, but after that, it becomes a lot more mathematical, way beyond a-level.
Original post by Duncan2012
Calm down. I merely pointed out a potential concern which unis may have when they review your application - something others in this thread did too. You seem to have taken it as a personal insult.

I'll leave it for others to judge whether you come across as confident or cocky.

As you ask - I got AAAB (in the days before A* grades). I've also got MEng, MSc and MBA degrees.

Sorry for my misunderstanding, my bad. I just found it weird how someone decided to point out my average maths grade once more, when thats the point of the post, and it had been mentioned several times before. I took it way too personally though, sorry:biggrin:

Well done on your achievements btw.
Original post by Ze Witcher
I disagree with this, some people couldn't take Economics at A-level (like me) and still want to do it, not because of the money, but what you'll learn from the degree. And i've asked how mathematical the content becomes at university level, its nothing like A-level for the majority of the time. Warwick for instance, who requires an A in math A-level, said to me on a live chat, that at the start of the year, the math content will be similar to C4 and so on, but after that, it becomes a lot more mathematical, way beyond a-level.

Some are exceptions, like yourself, but how someone can decide they want to take economics without truly knowing what it is is beyond me. I can only put it down to a mistake for them that they didn't take economics at A-level. In which case, it's fair enough if they realised they have a genuine passion after selecting other A-levels.

People think economics is all about mathematical models, it isn't, it's far from it.
Original post by lw8
Sorry for my misunderstanding, my bad. I just found it weird how someone decided to point out my average maths grade once more, when thats the point of the post, and it had been mentioned several times before. I took it way too personally though, sorry:biggrin:

Well done on your achievements btw.

Thank you. Sorry if I came over as being overly critical - certainly wasn't the intention. Good luck with your applications - I hope you get where you want to be :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending