The Student Room Group

Two killed by police brutality in the USA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WBZ144
She wasn't alone and he had his hands in the air.

You never answered my question

If you want to remain confused, agitated and angry feel free to keep your brain and empathy disinegaged in favour of frothing victimhood indignation

Link us to the video of him with his hands in the air please
Original post by Betelgeuse-
You never answered my question

If you want to remain confused, agitated and angry feel free to keep your brain and empathy disinegaged in favour of frothing victimhood indignation

Link us to the video of him with his hands in the air please

It's in my OP if you bothered to watch. It would be "frothing victimhood indignation" if I was an African American, if the guy had not been found to be completely unarmed and if the police in the helicopter were not judging him to be a "bad dude" who was "probably on something" for no reason. None of that is the case.

No, in the case of an unarmed man with his hands in the air and being accompanied by multiple other police officers, I do not see why she should have been so trigger-happy.
Original post by WBZ144
It's in my OP if you bothered to watch. It would be "frothing victimhood indignation" if I was an African American, if the guy had not been found to be completely unarmed and if the police in the helicopter were not judging him to be a "bad dude" who was "probably on something" for no reason. None of that is the case.

No, in the case of an unarmed man with his hands in the air and being accompanied by multiple other police officers, I do not see why she should have been so trigger-happy.

NO NO NO NO - This is not how it works. You do not get to completely ignore my posts whilst ranting and raving about whatever narratives you view the incident to have happened in

So damn ignorant
NO NO NO NO - This is not how it works. You do not get to completely ignore my posts whilst ranting and raving about whatever narratives you view the incident to have happened in

So damn ignorant

I answered your question. If you want to act hysterical and tell me what I can and can't do then whatever.
Let's not forget that police officers' lives are constantly under threat and therefore might react more violently to a threat. We don't always appreciate how hard their jobs are, especially in dangerous inner city neighbourhoods of the US.
Reply 25
Original post by Trinculo
I think the question is - if this isn't about race relations, then why exactly are you highlighting it? It sounds like anti-Americanism. People get killed every day by police all around the world - what is it with splashing it on the internet when it's in the US?

Black people can be anti-black too. It's a subconscious bias. Don't be dense.
Reply 26
Lets use empathy. I want you to imagine you are the policewoman pulling this man over. Can you think of any reasons why you would be so edgy and anxious compared to here in the UK?

Are you saying female officers can't deal with male suspects professionally?
Reply 27
Original post by Trapz99
Let's not forget that police officers' lives are constantly under threat and therefore might react more violently to a threat. We don't always appreciate how hard their jobs are, especially in dangerous inner city neighbourhoods of the US.

Police officers are not even in the top 10 of most dangerous jobs in America. Even fishermen are more at risk to die on duty.
Original post by Trapz99

Yeah, a threat like a black man holding his hands in the air as instructed..
Original post by Trapz99

Of course we will have an All lives matter advocate on here. Dissappointing
Original post by Secretnerd123

Of course I believe that all lives matter. It would be appalling if someone didn't.
Original post by Trapz99
Of course I believe that all lives matter. It would be appalling if someone didn't.

You know exactly what I mean. You're in the All Lives category but lets be honest, you have zero care about black lives.
You know exactly what I mean. You're in the All Lives category but lets be honest, you have zero care about black lives.

I do care about black lives, as well as white lives and Asian lives and Hispanic lives and all other lives. The clue is in the name- ALL lives matter.
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Yeah, a threat like a black man holding his hands in the air as instructed..

There are reports that he looked like he was going to pull out a weapon.
Original post by WBZ144
I answered your question. If you want to act hysterical and tell me what I can and can't do then whatever.

Look where we started and now where we are at.

Lets use empathy. I want you to imagine you are the policewoman pulling this man over. Can you think of any reasons why you would be so edgy and anxious compared to here in the UK?

Original post by WBZ144
She wasn't alone and he had his hands in the air.

but don't all lives matter?
Look where we started and now where we are at.

After which I said:
Original post by WBZ144

In short, the answer is no in this particular situation.
UPDATE: Betty Shelby charged with first degree manslaughter

One week after the fatal police shooting of 40-year-old Terence Crutcher, the Tulsa County District Attorney has announced first-degree manslaughter charges against Tulsa Officer Betty Shelby.

Officials issued a warrant for Ms Shelby’s arrest on Wednesday and said that they have contacted her lawyer about her surrender.

Video released by law enforcement on Monday shows police officers in Oklahoma fatally shooting an unarmed black man whose car was stalled in the middle of the street. He appeared to have his arms raised when the single, fatal shot was fired.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/terence-crutcher-shooting-tulsa-police-officer-betty-shelby-manslaughter-charge-a7324081.html
(edited 7 years ago)
To be clear: I never mentioned race in my OP and those accusing me (directly or indirectly) of fixating on race are the ones who brought it in as a topic, so they seem to projecting their own paranoia onto me.

I do believe that police brutality is a big problem in some places, the USA in this case, however but that is not always down to a racial bias. In some cases, such as the case of Alex Landau it unquestionably is, but it seems that there are cases in which people put on the uniform to abuse power, and are the type who are more likely to shoot someone for looking at them funny. In other cases they are probably poorly trained, so are constantly on the edge and fearful, hence trigger-happy. But someone whose vehicle broke down or who has been asked for ID should not have to fear being shot by the people who are supposed to be protecting him.
Original post by spotify95
What is wrong with the US police these days? Can they actually do anything without shooting/killing someone? :mad:

Unfortunately if you type in "police officer killed" on liveleak you will get a rather long page of officers shot and killed after the suspect pulls a gun out from a concealed position and shoots the officer.

As a result the police have to always be on edge ready to fire when called out to a gun related crime or in areas where violent crime is commonplace.

Places like Detroit or LA can not be comparable to the UK, they are basically third world areas contained in a first world country.

*edit*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6z8q4lOrDU

take for example this video, it's extremely similar to the situation in OP's story. The only difference is the suspect managed to actually pull a gun from his car after being told to stop, in the case in OP's post the male was shot before he could do anything.

You could argue the killing was unjust but the police were called out and he had a firearm on his person, as others had mentioned he also had previous convictions so was most probably a real threat to the officers.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply