The Student Room Group

Best UK Unis for economics

About to start my gap year,

Got A*A*A in economics, maths and history resp.
AA in AS level and EPQ
8A*s2As in GCSEs
Got relevant work experience and DofE gold and all the extra curricular stuff

Do I have a shot at Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Bristol/Warwick/Durham/Nottingham etc.

Thanks TSR lads xx
And which are the best unis for economics?
I would rank it this way 1. Cambridge 2. LSE 3. Oxford/Warwick 4. UCL 5. Bristol/Durham/Nottingham at undergraduate level , these are just my opinion
And yeah you do have a shot at those unis, but maybe difficult for Cambridge/LSE, you need a gd ps for LSE btw
Reply 2
Original post by HangeeTw
I would rank it this way 1. Cambridge 2. LSE 3. Oxford/Warwick 4. UCL 5. Bristol/Durham/Nottingham at undergraduate level , these are just my opinion
And yeah you do have a shot at those unis, but maybe difficult for Cambridge/LSE, you need a gd ps for LSE btw

Not in a thousand hells is LSE better than Oxford for undergrad (in any subject, that is). Just the tutorial system itself places both Cambridge and Oxford above any other uni.

LSE is, for obvious reasons, very close behind though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by *Stefan*
Not in a thousand hells is LSE better than Oxford for undergrad (in any subject, that is). Just the tutorial system itself places both Cambridge and Oxford above any other uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're talking nonsense. Oxford doesn't have a pure Economics programme, if you want to do just pure Economics, LSE is definitely a better place to go. However, it's also likely you will apply to Cambridge rather than Oxford too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Newcastle456
You're talking nonsense. Oxford doesn't have a pure Economics programme, if you want to do just pure Economics, LSE is definitely a better place to go. However, it's also likely you will apply to Cambridge rather than Oxford too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty aggressive for someone who can't read.

'In any subject' - That would mean that E&M is still better, in terms of academics, than pure Econ at LSE.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well in my humble opinion, LSE Economics is in fact better than Oxford in undergraduate level, if not Master/Phd too. Can't speak for other subjects
Reply 6
Well in my humble opinion, LSE Economics is in fact better than Oxford in undergraduate level, if not Master/Phd too. Can't speak for other subjects

Well, opinions are opinions, but in terms of undergraduate studies Oxford is factually better.
Reply 7
Personally,

Cambridge
Oxford

LSE
Warwick
UCL

Bristol
Manchester
Durham
Edinburgh
Nottingham
Well, opinions are opinions, but in terms of undergraduate studies Oxford is factually better.

No, it's not. You're talking nonsense. Also before you jump in with crap like I'm biased, I studied at Cambridge and Warwick and currently work as an economist. The LSE faculty is infinitely better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Newcastle456
No, it's not. You're talking nonsense. Also before you jump in with crap like I'm biased, I studied at Cambridge and Warwick and currently work as an economist. The LSE faculty is infinitely better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sure sure. :colonhash:
Original post by Iskolar
Personally,

Cambridge
Oxford

LSE
Warwick
UCL

Bristol
Manchester
Durham
Edinburgh
Nottingham

Interesting that you rate Manchester so highly. Requires AAB and from memory it isn't in the top 20 in terms of rankings. I'm most likely applying to do Economics at Manchester btw so I'm not slating it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by joddcfc
Interesting that you rate Manchester so highly. Requires AAB and from memory it isn't in the top 20 in terms of rankings. I'm most likely applying to do Economics at Manchester btw so I'm not slating it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there.

My list has been derived from actually a combination of many factors, and entry standards are actually just a few of these factors. Facilities, quality of professors, ratio of faculty-to-students, graduation rate, and more importantly, the school pedigree, as well as, the employment prospects or opportunities are very important factors of assessing the quality of the institutions. And, based on a combination of those factors I enumerated above, I came up with such list where Manchester stands side-by-side with a few other elite names which require a little higher entry standards.
Original post by Iskolar
Hi there.

My list has been derived from actually a combination of many factors, and entry standards are actually just a few of these factors. Facilities, quality of professors, ratio of faculty-to-students, graduation rate, and more importantly, the school pedigree, as well as, the employment prospects or opportunities are very important factors of assessing the quality of the institutions. And, based on a combination of those factors I enumerated above, I came up with such list where Manchester stands side-by-side with a few other elite names which require a little higher entry standards.

Hi, cheers for the reply :smile: that's fair enough, and fair play for looking at all those factors to come up with the list

Posted from TSR Mobile

Impossible for Warwick to be better than ucl

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending