The Student Room Group

schizophrenia in personal statement???

Should I mention I have schizophrenia in my personal statement? this is one of the main reasons why I am applying because want to help people like myself. but obviously don't want to make it sound as though I am mentally ill
I would avoid talking about personal health problems (physical or mental) in your PS.
I don't think you should bring that up in a PS.
Reply 3
Original post by *pitseleh*
I would avoid talking about personal health problems (physical or mental) in your PS.

Why?
Original post by 1lastchance
Why?

Because (rightly or wrongly) you run the risk of it sounding like you're asking for them to take pity on you and because (again, rightly or wrongly) it might be perceived as unprofessional to bring up your personal life so openly at this stage.

Not saying I agree with those norms, but when you're applying to med school it's might not be the wisest time to challenge those norms. *
Reply 5
Original post by *pitseleh*
Because (rightly or wrongly) you run the risk of it sounding like you're asking for them to take pity on you and because (again, rightly or wrongly) it might be perceived as unprofessional to bring up your personal life so openly at this stage.

Not saying I agree with those norms, but when you're applying to med school it's might not be the wisest time to challenge those norms. *

Does that apply to all courses or just medicine?
Reply 6
Don't put that in, to be honest there is no place in your application for it. This being said you can ask your referee to mention it in their notes to the unis.
Reply 7
I wouldn't mention it either to be honest, nor would I have it mentioned in a reference. You have the right to a place at university in spite of any personal health condition, and rightly or wrongly it could influence their decision to interview. As could mentioning depression, chronic back pain, multiple sclerosis, HIV. Anything you can think of! Once you have been offered a place they legally cant rescind it, but stigma and discrimination unfortunately arent things of the past, and though it may not be active and conscious it could play a role in how they picture you as a candidate. Dont run the risk. Give yourself the best shot of being offered a place based on the things that matter!

EDIT: If you do go on to get a place you will have to declare any health concerns that could influence your studies, or practice as a doctor, to occupational health. Tell them then.
(edited 7 years ago)
It would potentially raise issues with your capacity to practice as a doctor. You'd have to bring it up eventually, but I wouldn't mention it overtly in your personal statement.
Original post by 1lastchance
Does that apply to all courses or just medicine?

I have no idea about other courses, I'm afraid. I probably wouldn't mention it for any of them though. As someone else has said, if you really think it's important that universities know immediately, ask your referee to include it.

As someone else said, do be aware that you will have to mention your schizophrenia to Occupational Health if and when you start Medicine (this isn't something specific to schizophrenia - it would be the same with any physical or mental health issue with the potential to affect your study/work/general wellbeing). :smile:
You've made a thread about this before, the answer is still no.
I agree with the others - this is not the time to bring up a chronic health issue that might (rightly or wrongly) make the course selector wonder whether or not you will get through the course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending