The Student Room Group

Degree and certifications?

My friend in Canada just told me a very strange thing. He claims that to perform an IT job, the internationally accepted standard is to have a degree and a certification per skill (not just a degree). I think he is misinformed; I have never heard of this being a fact.

I have a Bachelor's degree. He has no education and he has been taking CompTIA Network+ and CompTIA A+ and now he is bragging about them to me, thinking that those somehow compare to my degree (to which they sadly don't; my networking level is CCNA2+).

I don't think he understands the difference between an operational-layer IT job that might require certification and an actual Computer Science job (such as data analyst/scientist) that requires a Bachelors/Masters degree. I've never heard of a certification being required.

Could someone verify his claim please?
Thank you.
Most professional technical jobs will require a degree. However, many employers will look favourably on any applicant who can demonstrate a skill they are after. Such is the difficulty in finding skilled labour.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending