The Student Room Group

Made a bad decision...

I've recently changed from a Sixth Form College to a Sixth Form school. Thing is, I feel like I made a bad choice. I really don't like being there at all, the tremendous amount of stress had caused me to be depressed. I had missed some lessons because I started quite late, but the amount to catch up really puts me off. Like, I don't have enough time to sleep properly. When I feel drained, I completely feel drained and feel trapped. Although, the school does produce good A-Levels, I just feel like it isn't for me,and I'm glad that I got the first hand experience to enjoy it. But I don't think I can function well whilst being there, I kind of hate it. I loved being in college because of opportunities such as enrichment and yet being able to study properly in my frees without having all this stress. I know that some pressure is needed but I think it's too much that I'm wanting to cry, I feel miserable. It's nearly a month but less than a week since I've changed, do I still have a chance of going back to my sixth form college? If I had moved back to the sixth form college, I wouldn't have missed much and I know I should be able to catch whereas here, the pressure is too much. In the college, they provided me with the lessons timetable in which it shows what topic is being taught and looking at it, I don't think I have missed much. But yeah, where I'm at right now, it's just sucking the life out of me and I really can't cope being there. Would I still have a chance in reverting back to the sixth form college?
Try to appeal to go back because you wouldn't want to waste your time in a school where you don't feel you can do work properly. I do remember some people in the start of my AS that moved back to their own school or college so assuming you have a good excuse I'm sure you can go back.

Good luck! I hope everything works well for you.
Original post by Defraction
Try to appeal to go back because you wouldn't want to waste your time in a school where you don't feel you can do work properly. I do remember some people in the start of my AS that moved back to their own school or college so assuming you have a good excuse I'm sure you can go back.

Good luck! I hope everything works well for you.

Yeah, I feel like i'm losing time by just being there. I just hope they take me back, and thank you. You too as well!
Original post by J-ved
I've recently changed from a Sixth Form College to a Sixth Form school. Thing is, I feel like I made a bad choice. I really don't like being there at all, the tremendous amount of stress had caused me to be depressed. I had missed some lessons because I started quite late, but the amount to catch up really puts me off. Like, I don't have enough time to sleep properly. When I feel drained, I completely feel drained and feel trapped. Although, the school does produce good A-Levels, I just feel like it isn't for me,and I'm glad that I got the first hand experience to enjoy it. But I don't think I can function well whilst being there, I kind of hate it. I loved being in college because of opportunities such as enrichment and yet being able to study properly in my frees without having all this stress. I know that some pressure is needed but I think it's too much that I'm wanting to cry, I feel miserable. It's nearly a month but less than a week since I've changed, do I still have a chance of going back to my sixth form college? If I had moved back to the sixth form college, I wouldn't have missed much and I know I should be able to catch whereas here, the pressure is too much. In the college, they provided me with the lessons timetable in which it shows what topic is being taught and looking at it, I don't think I have missed much. But yeah, where I'm at right now, it's just sucking the life out of me and I really can't cope being there. Would I still have a chance in reverting back to the sixth form college?

It has only been a week. It is normal to feel like this during A-Levels and you may do better in this new school. You could go back but obviously you need to phone up ahead. You need to think carefully and maybe have a meeting with your current head and see what he has to say. Good luck and don' worry.
What exactly is the difference between a college and a school? You say it is more stressful but why is it more stressful?
Original post by Epistemolog y
It has only been a week. It is normal to feel like this during A-Levels and you may do better in this new school. You could go back but obviously you need to phone up ahead. You need to think carefully and maybe have a meeting with your current head and see what he has to say. Good luck and don' worry.

At my previous college, I felt like I was doing well. Whereas here, it's too much to bear.
Original post by Shipreck
What exactly is the difference between a college and a school? You say it is more stressful but why is it more stressful?

College is quite informal compared to a School Sixth Form. College is a bit more lenient. And they did offer me an enrichment. Whereas the sixth form school, although gives you frees and everything, it feels restricted. I just don't think it's for me. How I'm feeling right now, I don't think I can catch up. the work load to catch up on is too much for me and I personally don't think it's worth it, I think i'd preform better at the previous sixth form college I was from. Everything is such a jumble that I'm completely put off from doing anything.
Original post by J-ved

Sounds like you've answered your own question. You'd be happier back at college. And plenty of people have accidents or fall really sick and miss weeks, but still catch up and get excellent grades. Don't worry about the time you missed from college.

You do sound really down. Hope this doesn't come across as condescending because i'm quite old but think i have solid advice to offer. The transition from well boy, into young adult is hard for most. Lot of things you will look back on ten, twenty years from now as mountains out of molehills. Not to say they don't feel like hell at the time.

#1 look after yourself physically. Do you understand nutrition, how to cook and eat well using nutritious FRESH ingredients? It's so important. Are you sleeping optimally? Poor sleep is guaranteed to eventually cause depression. Are you taking too much caffeine to get a good nights rest? Do you have a good support structure around you? If not, and things really start to spiral out of control, see a counsellor. They are trained professionals and know how to advice and reassure most mental health issues. Seriously man, don't leave it too late. Try and find the motivation to seek help if you need it.

And seriously, don't think this year is life or death. Maybe not the right metaphor, sorry. You, essentially have your whole life to return to education. If you drop out, realise in the grand scheme of things it really is no biggy. I've gone back to get the education I didn't get (for reasons), but always knew I was capable of, as a middle aged man!

There are no bad decisions (caveat: breaking the law or doing something morally unethical obviously excluded). Don't beat yourself up and be too down on yourself. Mistakes often prove to be best decision you could make if you learn from them and it makes you a better person in the long run.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 303Pharma
Sounds like you've answered your own question. You'd be happier back at college. And plenty of people have accidents or fall really sick and miss weeks, but still catch up and get excellent grades. Don't worry about the time you missed from college.

You do sound really down. Hope this doesn't come across as condescending because i'm quite old but think i have solid advice to offer. The transition from well boy, into young adult is hard for most. Lot of things you will look back on ten, twenty years from now as mountains out of molehills. Not to say they don't feel like hell at the time.

#1 look after yourself physically. Do you understand nutrition, how to cook and eat well using nutritious FRESH ingredients? It's so important. Are you sleeping optimally? Poor sleep is guaranteed to eventually cause depression. Are you taking too much caffeine to get a good nights rest? Do you have a good support structure around you? If not, and things really start to spiral out of control, see a counsellor. They are trained professionals and know how to advice and reassure most mental health issues. Seriously man, don't leave it too late. Try and find the motivation to seek help if you need it.

And seriously, don't think this year is life or death. Maybe not the right metaphor, sorry. You, essentially have your whole life to return to education. If you drop out, realise in the grand scheme of things it really is no biggy. I've gone back to get the education I didn't get (for reasons), but always knew I was capable of, as a middle aged man!

There are no bad decisions (caveat: breaking the law or doing something morally unethical obviously excluded). Don't beat yourself up and be too down on yourself. Mistakes often prove to be best decision you could make if you learn from them and it makes you a better person in the long run.

Yeah, I guessed I did answer my question. I'm going to call them first thing tomorrow and see what can happen. At the moment, i feel like I can't even look after my self properly. I really do think, I was better of where I was before. I just hope they'll take me back, it's been less than a month since I was in there and only less than a week since I've left.
Original post by J-ved
Yeah, I guessed I did answer my question. I'm going to call them first thing tomorrow and see what can happen. At the moment, i feel like I can't even look after my self properly. I really do think, I was better of where I was before. I just hope they'll take me back, it's been less than a month since I was in there and only less than a week since I've left.

Good to hear. I think you making the right decision. I'm sure the admins and staff are familiar with this situation, as plenty of people went through it previously. Hope they do the right thing and let you back. Good luck!
Original post by 303Pharma
Good to hear. I think you making the right decision. I'm sure the admins and staff are familiar with this situation, as plenty of people went through it previously. Hope they do the right thing and let you back. Good luck!

Yeah, I'll just have to explain my form tutor about my situation and once I'm back in, I shouldn't have to catch up a lot. Thank you for the help. I appreciate it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending