The Student Room Group

Mitigating cirumstances

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Epistemolog y
Hi

I have done A-levels for 2 years and now currently on my gap year. I was DIAGNOSED with Generalised anxiety disorder and moderate depression. Is this a mitigating cirumstance? I feel it has effected me greatly and so do my teachers. Also when applying to jobs is this worth mentioning?

No, don't mention - you don't want them thinking you've got a whole bunch of mental issues as they might feel like it's more hassle than it's worth... Trust me, this is coming from someone who told her current employer about anxiety and depression, and I wish so much that I had never said anything 😟

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't mention it when applying, but it's worth mentioning once there.

Some companies have very good schemes for helping people who suffer from mental health issues.
Ah mixed responses. Thank you for the responses guys. I am at the moment looking at UCAS and people have told me to have it in there. They need to know why I did not do well and maybe improve. As for job applications they have sections talking about if they feel you had any problems. The jobs I am looking for and in the future have high requirements and do not allow repeated years. I understand companies do not like it but having gone through this problem for 2 years I see myself recovering and not using at as an excuse for the rest of my life. I aim to be sucessful my main concern is it will look bad?
BUMP

@Carnationlilyrose

could you possibly put some light on the situation?
Hi

I have done A-levels for 2 years and now currently on my gap year. I was DIAGNOSED with Generalised anxiety disorder and moderate depression. Is this a mitigating cirumstance? I feel it has effected me greatly and so do my teachers. Also when applying to jobs is this worth mentioning?

A mitigating circumstance for what?

For uni or for jobs? If its for jobs, then am afraid in teh real world they can pick who they like and many employers tend to take a dim boew on someone with mental health issues. They arent there to be your nursemaid, but interested in finding the best person for the job. I wouldnt mention it. How would they know you are able to cope if they employ you?

If it was for uni, then you could try, but be careful of looking like you are making excuses.
Original post by 999tigger
A mitigating circumstance for what?

For uni or for jobs? If its for jobs, then am afraid in teh real world they can pick who they like and many employers tend to take a dim boew on someone with mental health issues. They arent there to be your nursemaid, but interested in finding the best person for the job. I wouldnt mention it. How would they know you are able to cope if they employ you?

If it was for uni, then you could try, but be careful of looking like you are making excuses.

Thanks. I understand. If I spend 2 years in A-Levels first goes decent and second year goes horrible. First year had little circumstances and second had major. In those 2 years I seem to recover a bit better retake my A-Levels technically being a year behind but being predicted good grades. Then actually achieving AAB would jobs and universities see me as someone who just failed two years and then pulled their finger out or someone who had genuine reason but had the determination to do well and overcame whatever problems I had. I am not planning on jsut giving a sob story. I plan on getting good grades and giving reasons as to why I did not do well before.
Thanks. I understand. If I spend 2 years in A-Levels first goes decent and second year goes horrible. First year had little circumstances and second had major. In those 2 years I seem to recover a bit better retake my A-Levels technically being a year behind but being predicted good grades. Then actually achieving AAB would jobs and universities see me as someone who just failed two years and then pulled their finger out or someone who had genuine reason but had the determination to do well and overcame whatever problems I had. I am not planning on jsut giving a sob story. I plan on getting good grades and giving reasons as to why I did not do well before.

I found that a bit difficult to understand so let me break it down to show you what I got.

Year 12 ok
Year 13 major turmoil poor results.
Retakes and gets AAB

For universities you would be fine- only medicine might present difficulties or any univerity where this grades werent high enough. If you retook and got those grades, they wouldnt be bothered imo. People retake all the time.

If you were going straight for a job then they wouldnt pay any atention or be intersted imo, they would just look at your gardes which are good. If you then disclosed you had anxiety and or depression, this would raise alarm bells, so I wouldnt mention it.

If you were applying for a job after graduation, then your A levels arent likely to be an issue, just your uni grade. If someone picked up at interview you took 3 years rtaher thna 2 then you could mention there were personal circumstance and you overcame them , then but I wouldnt be pushing it up front. The problem with mild anxiety and moderate depression is that they arent in the league of bereavement or cancer so they arent going to be that persuasive imo. Id be cautious about mentioning it and can only think of a situation which relied on A levels and you might mention you were diagnosed with a medical condition, but even them i'm scpetical about whether I would try and use it.
BUMP

@Carnationlilyrose

could you possibly put some light on the situation?

I'm with 999tigger on this one. If it happened while you were sitting your exams, then it should have been notified to the exam board and they will have decided whether or not to award any marks. If they did, it will only have been a small number, since 5% is the maximum allowed and that is for the death of a parent or sibling at the time of the exams. Your difficulties will have only gathered a few marks, if any. The place for mentioning this would have been in the Ucas reference by your teachers. I personally wouldn't mention it for applying to jobs.
I found that a bit difficult to understand so let me break it down to show you what I got.

Year 12 ok
Year 13 major turmoil poor results.
Retakes and gets AAB

For universities you would be fine- only medicine might present difficulties or any univerity where this grades werent high enough. If you retook and got those grades, they wouldnt be bothered imo. People retake all the time.

If you were going straight for a job then they wouldnt pay any atention or be intersted imo, they would just look at your gardes which are good. If you then disclosed you had anxiety and or depression, this would raise alarm bells, so I wouldnt mention it.

If you were applying for a job after graduation, then your A levels arent likely to be an issue, just your uni grade. If someone picked up at interview you took 3 years rtaher thna 2 then you could mention there were personal circumstance and you overcame them , then but I wouldnt be pushing it up front. The problem with mild anxiety and moderate depression is that they arent in the league of bereavement or cancer so they arent going to be that persuasive imo. Id be cautious about mentioning it and can only think of a situation which relied on A levels and you might mention you were diagnosed with a medical condition, but even them i'm scpetical about whether I would try and use it.

Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I'm with 999tigger on this one. If it happened while you were sitting your exams, then it should have been notified to the exam board and they will have decided whether or not to award any marks. If they did, it will only have been a small number, since 5% is the maximum allowed and that is for the death of a parent or sibling at the time of the exams. Your difficulties will have only gathered a few marks, if any. The place for mentioning this would have been in the Ucas reference by your teachers. I personally wouldn't mention it for applying to jobs.

Thanks guys. I understand and what you makes perfect sense. I was just thinking I have seen some jobs look at your A-Level grades and may also look at retake. So if asked I should just mention personal reasons? What about applying for jobs before I recieve my results with references? Or should I just be patient get my results then apply
Thanks guys. I understand and what you makes perfect sense. I was just thinking I have seen some jobs look at your A-Level grades and may also look at retake. So if asked I should just mention personal reasons? What about applying for jobs before I recieve my results with references? Or should I just be patient get my results then apply

If you haven't yet taken your exams, then any request for special consideration should be submitted by your exams officer ahead of time. When you get your results, as much allowance as can be made for the situation will have been made. You can't claim it once again after the event, so if you apply after you have your results, then that's it, in my view.

You arent being clear at what sort of stage jobs we are talking about is it after graduation or just jobs that require A levels?
I cant think of many jobs which will offer it you based on predicted A levels.
AAB is very good so I dont think you have anything to worry about. . Your mitigatings arent the strongest, but maybe there were good reasons behind things.It would be highly likely they require a full record of exams so they could see you resat. If asked at interview I would have worked out an explanation that was brief but truthful about why you resat. Some reasons are better than others- becayse someone died or got ill or divorced is better thna just not being able to cope.

I think its unlikely you would be asked and at interview you should be focusing on your skills and what you can do for them.
If you haven't yet taken your exams, then any request for special consideration should be submitted by your exams officer ahead of time. When you get your results, as much allowance as can be made for the situation will have been made. You can't claim it once again after the event, so if you apply after you have your results, then that's it, in my view.

What do you mean claim it once again after the event? I will let my exams officer know I am just saying I didn't make anyone aware last time
You arent being clear at what sort of stage jobs we are talking about is it after graduation or just jobs that require A levels?
I cant think of many jobs which will offer it you based on predicted A levels.
AAB is very good so I dont think you have anything to worry about. . Your mitigatings arent the strongest, but maybe there were good reasons behind things.It would be highly likely they require a full record of exams so they could see you resat. If asked at interview I would have worked out an explanation that was brief but truthful about why you resat. Some reasons are better than others- becayse someone died or got ill or divorced is better thna just not being able to cope.

I think its unlikely you would be asked and at interview you should be focusing on your skills and what you can do for them.

Ah I am currently sitting A-Levels. I was considering some high apprenticeships but it would be just applying on the side nothing major. Thats why I was asking should I bother even applying to the ones asking for high grades or just the ones I have already achieved. I however see myself going to university this year but I am open minded.
What do you mean claim it once again after the event? I will let my exams officer know I am just saying I didn't make anyone aware last time

Then it goes in the reference if you wish to have it mentioned. I'm afraid I'm not quite following where you are at in your A level studies. If there are more exams to come, then ask for consideration from the exam board. If they are in the past, then any claim for special consideration should be in a reference.
Then it goes in the reference if you wish to have it mentioned. I'm afraid I'm not quite following where you are at in your A level studies. If there are more exams to come, then ask for consideration from the exam board. If they are in the past, then any claim for special consideration should be in a reference.

I have sat 2 years of A-Levels currently in a gap year (retake year for me) trying to improve my grades.

Glad it wasnt just me who was finding it confusing.
I have sat 2 years of A-Levels currently in a gap year (retake year for me) trying to improve my grades.

This along with the higher apprenticeships would have been clearer.

1. What Carnation said if you are applying for uni, but you would have had time to claim special circs when getting your papers marked, which leaves only the reference really. Its unlikely to have that much sway imo unless the reasons for the depression had more substance. Circumstances beyond your control other than just straight stress and inability to cope.

2. Apprenticeships, again reference would seem wiser and that means you arent pleading your own case but getting someone independent to mention it. It will be obvious you have resat. Time for getting special circs for extra marks should have already been taken at the time. Its unlikely imo mild depression or anxiety would be enough for the resits.

If asked in interview keep it short and truthful, but angle it so its soemthing you realised you had and overcame. Dont be defnesive but you score more brownie points talking about what you cna do for them. the A levels just get you the interview, so they will have already done their job.
Reply 18
Technically they can be albeit only if theyre rather serious not just a general malaise, so to speak.
As for mentioning them to your employer I wouldn't there is limited upside and infinite downside seeing as it could make you seem a liability. That being said if you can get a Dr's note or the like attesting to its ill effects it might work.
Original post by Napp
Technically they can be albeit only if theyre rather serious not just a general malaise, so to speak.
As for mentioning them to your employer I wouldn't there is limited upside and infinite downside seeing as it could make you seem a liability. That being said if you can get a Dr's note or the like attesting to its ill effects it might work.

This along with the higher apprenticeships would have been clearer.

1. What Carnation said if you are applying for uni, but you would have had time to claim special circs when getting your papers marked, which leaves only the reference really. Its unlikely to have that much sway imo unless the reasons for the depression had more substance. Circumstances beyond your control other than just straight stress and inability to cope.

2. Apprenticeships, again reference would seem wiser and that means you arent pleading your own case but getting someone independent to mention it. It will be obvious you have resat. Time for getting special circs for extra marks should have already been taken at the time. Its unlikely imo mild depression or anxiety would be enough for the resits.

If asked in interview keep it short and truthful, but angle it so its soemthing you realised you had and overcame. Dont be defnesive but you score more brownie points talking about what you cna do for them. the A levels just get you the interview, so they will have already done their job.

Ok thank you all I understand and take on all advice and everything said. That being said maybe I am feeling bad for myself when I shouldn't. The words depression and anxiety get thrown around a lot these days so I don't know if people understand. After reading this thread it has become clear people obviously consider it a week excuse for not doing well and I appreciate you being honest with me. It's just that I felt it effected me badly as I couldn't do anything and constantly feel drained. I would spend the whole day doing nothing and the year seems like a blur. I got diagnosed officially from a therapist saying Generalised anxiety disorder and Moderate depression. Now for those of you who don't know it's when you worry but can't stop worrying. Obviosuly everyone worries but this like chronic. Anyways I have work to do and have stopped feeling sorry for myself. Maybe I couldn't handle the pressure but this time I will and get good grades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending