The Student Room Group

Is Islamophobia a problem in the UK?

Do you feel that it is still a problem? Have you experienced any Islamophobia on the streets of the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Yes, although the discrimination I have experienced is minimal compared to some, and probably laughable in the eyes of a few - but I've been called an ISIS member and a terrorist apologist for defending Muslims on the streets who were being harassed. I fully understand the faults of Islam, but I believe that anyone who thinks pointing out the faults of this ideology is equivalent to spouting hateful things to Muslims on the street clearly doesn't care about Islam at all and just wants to hate on someone.

EDIT:
And back on the original point, yes, Islamophobia (specifically fear of Muslims but also of Islam) is a problem because the attacks on both entities as a result of the fear does alienate domestic Muslims and IMO makes them more likely to sympathise with groups like ISIS.
(edited 7 years ago)
Nope, I haven't experienced it at all. I guess it generally depends on how the people are in your area and where you live. Like I live in London which is obviously diverse but my area is Muslim dominated thus it is slightly harder for it to happen. I honestly love my area, the people are so nice and people get along with each other really well regardless of skin colour and religion.
No
Original post by thickleftard
Yes, although the discrimination I have experienced is minimal compared to some, and probably laughable in the eyes of a few - but I've been called an ISIS member and a terrorist apologist for defending Muslims on the streets who were being harassed. I fully understand the faults of Islam, but I believe that anyone who thinks pointing out the faults of this ideology is equivalent to spouting hateful things to Muslims on the street clearly doesn't care about Islam at all and just wants to hate on someone.

Yes, I've been called all those things before. It's a bigger problem then you all think.
Original post by biglad2k16
Do you feel that it is still a problem? Have you experienced any Islamophobia on the streets of the UK?

I haven't experienced Islamohobia because it doesn't exist, people just don't care about Islam and that's their right. Now, I have seen racism against Asian muslims in the street? Yes and it needs to stop, stuff like this is absolutely disgusting and should be beneath us. That also goes for racism against Whites, Blacks, Latinos, East Asians and Mixed Race people.

EDIT:
And back on the original point, yes, Islamophobia (specifically fear of Muslims but also of Islam) is a problem because the attacks on both entities as a result of the fear does alienate domestic Muslims and IMO makes them more likely to sympathise with groups like ISIS.

What is "Islamophobia" is it fear of Muslims? or is it fear of Islam? because it simply can't be both.

A phobia is indeed a fear, but I don't fear Islam, I dislike it. Does that make me "Islamophobic"?
What even is "Islamophobia".

Fear of Islam? Fear of Muslims?
Original post by Dodgypirate
What is "Islamophobia" is it fear of Muslims? or is it fear of Islam? because it simply can't be both.

A phobia is indeed a fear, but I don't fear Islam, I dislike it. Does that make me "Islamophobic"?

You have the right to hate a religion and the people of that religion have the right to defend it peacefully.

Its either. And I would't class it as a fear, even though its a 'phobia', its a dislike/prejudice by definition. The wording is a bit screwed up, but it still has a solid enough meaning.
What even is "Islamophobia".

Fear of Islam? Fear of Muslims?

Islamophobiaɪzˌlaməˈfəʊbɪə/nounnoun: Islamophobia

dislike of or prejudice against Islam or Muslims, especially as a political force.

Original post by novastrike
You have the right to hate a religion and the people of that religion have the right to defend it peacefully.

"Hate" is too strong of a word.

In my experience, Muslims get very defensive about their religion. It's very hard to argue with a Muslim when you disagree with pretty much everything Islam teaches.
Original post by 999tigger
Islamophobiaɪzˌlaməˈfəʊbɪə/nounnoun: Islamophobia

dislike of or prejudice against Islam or Muslims, especially as a political force.

But dislike and genuine scepticism of Islam, as a faith, is fine when it's reasonable... Dislike of Muslims as a people is generally bigoted... you can't conflate Islam (the faith) and Muslims (the people) into the definition of "Islamophobia".

"Islamophobia" is a 21rst century buzzword to shut down any valid argument against a "protected" religion, hence why we don't have "Buddhaphobia", "Christianophobia", "Judophobia", etc...
In my school, we all make jokes about different races equally. Equality? haha.
Its either. And I would't class it as a fear, even though its a 'phobia', its a dislike/prejudice by definition. The wording is a bit screwed up, but it still has a solid enough meaning.

How can it possibly be either?

If I dislike Islam (the faith) and propose well-founded arguments as to why, why should I be considered Islamophobic? You can dislike almost every single ideology, religion, and political movement without being called "(something)-phobic".

Now if dislike Muslims, the people, that's another thing, that's prejudice and bigotry and should be condemned. However, there shouldn't be this separate expression for hate/dislike of Muslims, it's discrimination, that's that.
How can it possibly be either?

If I dislike Islam (the faith) and propose well-founded arguments as to why, why should I be considered Islamophobic? You can dislike almost every single ideology, religion, and political movement without being called "(something)-phobic".

Now if dislike Muslims, the people, that's another thing, that's prejudice and bigotry and should be condemned. However, there shouldn't be this separate expression for hate/dislike of Muslims, it's discrimination, that's that.

Muslims follow Islam, its pretty simple. You can't hate/dislike Islam as an ideology/religion without having a small degree of dislike or hatred towards the people who follow it.

You might not hate them as a person, but you hate their culture, history, family values, traditions and beliefs - if you hate Islam.

The two come hand in hand some of the time.
Muslims follow Islam, its pretty simple. You can't hate/dislike Islam as an ideology/religion without having a small degree of dislike or hatred towards the people who follow it.

I'm lost for words...

You might not hate them as a person, but you hate their culture, history, family values, traditions and beliefs - if you hate Islam.

Bewildered...
I was followed all the way to the train station on my way to work, harassed by a group of chavs, being called an "ISIS supporter" the entire way. Thankfully two police officers intervened, but it's really rather ridiculous. Approximately 99% of Muslims want to live peaceful lives, and have legacies that will help all local communities. We aren't what the media portrays us to be. Smh...
I'm lost for words...

Bewildered...

Why? Its not too difficult to understand. If you hate a religion, you implicitly have a small degree of hand-in-hand hatred for its followers.

I'm lost for words...

Bewildered...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending