The Student Room Group

Economics help

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
in that case yes. but dont use employment by itself as its misleading

Original post by azizadil1998
I think what he is referring to is the employment of resources not employment as in people; my previous teacher used to say things such as "if you are operating on the PPF curve then you are employing all resources" so it makes sense if he means it in that context.
Im starting econ on monday what do you reckon the best tips i could do start well and do u recon i should jump to exam papers to learn or acc learn content first?
Are you guys covering A2 micro then A2 macro? I know some schools have done micro for year one and are doing macro for year 2
Reply 63
Original post by Waveyalex
Im starting econ on monday what do you reckon the best tips i could do start well and do u recon i should jump to exam papers to learn or acc learn content first?

Start revising early. Keep on top on content.
I think you should learn the AS content first before attempting exam papers this early, but i do think normal questions, like ones in textbooks would be great.
Reply 64
Original post by kandykissesxox
Are you guys covering A2 micro then A2 macro? I know some schools have done micro for year one and are doing macro for year 2

We learnt AS micro and macro in the first year. Now we are learning A2 macro since theres more to learn in macro than micro. Then once we've done that it's just learning the small amount of new A2 micro.

It's all pretty confusing though, the way it's being taught
Original post by kas9
Start revising early. Keep on top on content.
I think you should learn the AS content first before attempting exam papers this early, but i do think normal questions, like ones in textbooks would be great.

hmm because at gcse i had the habit of learning how to ace the exam rather than knowledge which actually worked lool not sure if a levels are the same
Reply 66
hmm because at gcse i had the habit of learning how to ace the exam rather than knowledge which actually worked lool not sure if a levels are the same

Well to do the exam papers, you need the knowledge, so get that first then start papers

Erm A Level Economics is rather different as Macro is more focused on current'ish events e.g. they had Brexit in this year's paper, or something about UK's/Europe's economy usually pops up... Unit 1 and 3 is literally memorising with a bit of knowing how to structure your answers and you'll be fine! But if you want to do well in Macro I would recommend 3 things --> get a revision guide (prefer that over textbooks as they are more condensed and show the rather more important points), read newspapers/magazines (mainly the Economist or City A.M. which is free), AND practice essays - not necessarily actual questions just yet or you won't have any material left for your revision time in April or whatever, maybe other exam boards or get your teachers to make them up for you.
Original post by azizadil1998
Erm A Level Economics is rather different as Macro is more focused on current'ish events e.g. they had Brexit in this year's paper, or something about UK's/Europe's economy usually pops up... Unit 1 and 3 is literally memorising with a bit of knowing how to structure your answers and you'll be fine! But if you want to do well in Macro I would recommend 3 things --> get a revision guide (prefer that over textbooks as they are more condensed and show the rather more important points), read newspapers/magazines (mainly the Economist or City A.M. which is free), AND practice essays - not necessarily actual questions just yet or you won't have any material left for your revision time in April or whatever, maybe other exam boards or get your teachers to make them up for you.

Im looking to get an A* in economics and in fact in very subject or an A loool trying to figure out how to do so
Reply 69
I need help with PED and YED anyone?
Original post by zainyyyyy
Hello, I am an A2 student who got a B at AS Level and i am willing to help out anyone with any economic related questions.

Feel free to pm me or just post below

Edit - I do AQA Economics new spec

How much did you revise ?
Reply 71
few hours a day from early may. Just watched econplusdal whilst playing xbox
Original post by nisha.sri
How much did you revise ?
Reply 72
Original post by Rajive
I need help with PED and YED anyone?

PED = price elasticity of demand. Shows the responsiveness of demand when price changes.

YED = income elasticity of demand. Shows the responsiveness of demand when your income changes.
Reply 73
PED = price elasticity of demand. Shows the responsiveness of demand when price changes.

YED = income elasticity of demand. Shows the responsiveness of demand when your income changes.

I keep forgetting the formula used for these two.
Reply 74
for all elasticity formulas quantity is always at the bottom.

ped = %changeinprice/%changeinquantity
yed = %changeinincome/%changeinquantity
Original post by Rajive
I keep forgetting the formula used for these two.
few hours a day from early may. Just watched econplusdal whilst playing xbox

good luck with that in A2
Im looking to get an A* in economics and in fact in very subject or an A loool trying to figure out how to do so

Are you doing your A2's now? or are you just saying you're starting sixth form now and you want that grade overall haha?

Either way it's not actually THAT hard - well not on the old spec at least, I need 80% average and 90% above in the A2's... unit 4 is relatively easier if you like the subject and can write well with some knowledge of current affairs or maybe a case study you have chosen yourself.
I got an A at A Level Economics with aqa.
Original post by 08hussainf
I got an A at A Level Economics with aqa.

Any tips? I got the black textbook by ay powell but he doesn't go over the rewards from factors of production :/
Original post by shohaib712
Any tips? I got the black textbook by ay powell but he doesn't go over the rewards from factors of production :/

Make sure you have some good notes made e.g. I would research additional notes after the lesson at home which were beneficial. Also best to start revising early as there is plenty of theory and lots of graphs to cover and remember. Also checkout the mark scheme and understand the assessment objectives to make sure you are getting good marks. Finally, make sure you have a good technique for answering the shorter and longer essay questions as you need to manage your time in the exam. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest