The Student Room Group

How to avoid temptation when trying to get dream body?

I sabotage myself on the 2nd or 4th day by eating crap and its frustrating! Its my first day today and im tryna make it to 10 days without failing (record for me lol)

How to continue eating clean when all you want to do is eat crap and how important is planning meals ahead of time?

Scroll to see replies

Plan meals a week at a time and don't buy anything extra. If it's not in the house you can't eat it.
Original post by Dusky Mauve
Plan meals a week at a time and don't buy anything extra. If it's not in the house you can't eat it.

So planning avoids hunger pangs? Thats my biggest weakness because then i quicky grab something unhealthy to get my energy up :frown:
Original post by Secretnerd123
So planning avoids hunger pangs? Thats my biggest weakness because then i quicky grab something unhealthy to get my energy up :frown:

If you're planning good meals they should give you enough energy to get to the next meal. Make sure you drink water regularly too as this will help you feel fuller for longer. If you are really desperate, grab an apple or a handful of nuts. I plan my meals, but I also buy about 4 varieties of fruit a week (say, this week I bought grapes, kiwis, apples and bananas) and have those with my breakfast or as snacks. I also always have some kind of frozen berries in the freezer. :smile:

Edit: Also, people often mistake boredom for hunger. Maybe this is you?
Planning meals doesn't work for everybody (me included). The best advice I can give is stay consistent and be motivated. Motivation paves the way for everything else and keeps you away from eating unwanted foods. Once you see results, it'll only motivate you further to continue. And yes, boredom can lead to you eating junk food, as the above poster said
No idea what you are trying to do. Go and join MFP get some friends and plan. You sound disorganised and without sufficient knowledge. Losing weight is more about small lifestyle changes so you cna keep up consistent calorie deficits. This will enable you to lose weight.

Sabotage at such an early stage sounds like lack of commitment and a poor plan. You also lack knowledge. You can eat some crap, but the thing that matters is your overall deficit. You sound like you will fail becayse its too much of a test of holding out against temptation when instead its a definite change of lifestyle with a focused objective.

You dont have to eat clean, just at a deficit.

Get organised and learn what foods to eat that give you nutrition as well as satiety (fill you up) begertables complex carbs, lean protein and good fats plus fibre. You cna get a rough idea of how ling it might take by estimating 1lb a week weight loss. Complex carbs release energy slowlu, so you dont run out and it doesnt spike.
Reply 6
electric shock collar?
make sure you re busy at all times
you won't have time to think about food then
that's exactly what i'm doing at the moment
Reply 8
do other stuff that is more stimulating than the pleasure you will get from eating that food when you get the cravings.

After you get past a certain number of days your body will actually begin to crave the healthier food anyway.
Original post by Dusky Mauve
If you're planning good meals they should give you enough energy to get to the next meal. Make sure you drink water regularly too as this will help you feel fuller for longer. If you are really desperate, grab an apple or a handful of nuts. I plan my meals, but I also buy about 4 varieties of fruit a week (say, this week I bought grapes, kiwis, apples and bananas) and have those with my breakfast or as snacks. I also always have some kind of frozen berries in the freezer. :smile:

Edit: Also, people often mistake boredom for hunger. Maybe this is you?

Thanks so much for your response :smile:

For how long has doing that kept u consistent on your diet?
Original post by 999tigger
No idea what you are trying to do. Go and join MFP get some friends and plan. You sound disorganised and without sufficient knowledge. Losing weight is more about small lifestyle changes so you cna keep up consistent calorie deficits. This will enable you to lose weight.

Sabotage at such an early stage sounds like lack of commitment and a poor plan. You also lack knowledge. You can eat some crap, but the thing that matters is your overall deficit. You sound like you will fail becayse its too much of a test of holding out against temptation when instead its a definite change of lifestyle with a focused objective.

You dont have to eat clean, just at a deficit.

Get organised and learn what foods to eat that give you nutrition as well as satiety (fill you up) begertables complex carbs, lean protein and good fats plus fibre. You cna get a rough idea of how ling it might take by estimating 1lb a week weight loss. Complex carbs release energy slowlu, so you dont run out and it doesnt spike.

Examples of complex carbs? And how many times a day is it best to eat them
Don't diet. Make permanent lifestyle changes to healthier food. You can still enjoy little pleasures, but just make sure you're not going overboard. There's no really easy method for curbing cravings except for maybe ketogenic diets (anecdotally).

Don't demonise foods either. You'll do much better if your food relationship is healthier.
Examples of complex carbs? And how many times a day is it best to eat them

Just go and join MFP and they will explain everything you need to know plus explain all about weight loss plus you cna get support.
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

Porridge is soemthing I have every day. But really starchy foods.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/nutrition/simple-carbs-vs-complex-carbs.html
http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/starchy-foods.aspx
Thanks so much for your response :smile:

For how long has doing that kept u consistent on your diet?

I've been doing this for a year and a half now. I still let myself have the odd treat, but I never buy packs of anything to bring home, so that eliminates continuous temptation. I still eat pretty much what I want and I still eat out occasionally. You have to let yourself enjoy food still. But try and get joy out of cooking a good meal :smile:
Original post by 999tigger
Porridge is soemthing I have every day. But really starchy foods.

Porridge is something I eat every day too. Can't get enough of it :smile:
If you have cravings for unhealthy food it probably means that you have an intestinal parasite that is stealing all your vital nutrients.
Reply 16
it takes 21 days to make a habit, aim for 10 and then when you do that you can do another 10. When you have an hunger pang pick up and apple and if you dont eat it you're not hungry. Drink tons of water throughout the day.
Have your calorie target, stick to it.
I used to find this quite motivating: https://www.reddit.com/r/progresspics/
Whenever I got a bad craving, ended up just spending 5 minutes on this site :smile:.
Original post by mashbbk
I used to find this quite motivating: https://www.reddit.com/r/progresspics/
Whenever I got a bad craving, ended up just spending 5 minutes on this site :smile:.

Thank you boo

Quick Reply

Latest