The Student Room Group

AS Biology Help

There's one question that I need help in Biology....I was wondering if anyone can help - I will really appreciate it

Q - Suggest how you could distinguish a sample of glucose from a sample of maltose using Benedict's reagent.
Reply 1
Clues:

Glucose is a monosaccharide.
Maltose is a disaccharide.
Disaccharides can break down in a hydrolysis reaction to form monosaccharides (Heat does this).
Benedict's reagent tests for monosaccharides.
Original post by sophia.f
There's one question that I need help in Biology....I was wondering if anyone can help - I will really appreciate it

Q - Suggest how you could distinguish a sample of glucose from a sample of maltose using Benedict's reagent.

Heat equal volumes of both substances with an excess of Benedict's solution. The one that turns from blue to brick red tests positive for a reducing sugar. Glucose is a reducing sugar, therefore the red colour contains glucose and the blue one contains maltose.
Original post by HarrisonGCSE
Clues:

Glucose is a monosaccharide.
Maltose is a disaccharide.
Disaccharides can break down in a hydrolysis reaction to form monosaccharides (Heat does this).
Benedict's reagent tests for monosaccharides.

Thank you so much :smile:
Original post by typicalvirgo
Heat equal volumes of both substances with an excess of Benedict's solution. The one that turns from blue to brick red tests positive for a reducing sugar. Glucose is a reducing sugar, therefore the red colour contains glucose and the blue one contains maltose.

Aw thank you! :smile:x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending